Windows 10: Duplicate folders being setup intermittently

Discus and support Duplicate folders being setup intermittently in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had several folders I have created on my onedrive duplicate themselves and add the extension of my PC name. Then the files I create are stored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ilearningu, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Duplicate folders being setup intermittently

I have had several folders I have created on my onedrive duplicate themselves and add the extension of my PC name. Then the files I create are stored in the one with the PC name extension, not the folder I created. In 2 cases it picked folders I had set up over a year ago and created this duplicate folder with the extension and moved some of the files over. It is very strange. I don't know what is causing it.

At the same time, I was on a sharepoint server of one of my clients. I use templates for audits I conduct that are unique to each audit. I sync those folders to my computer so I don't need to download and upload files - typically that works just fine. Then I had 1 audit where it created a folder with a 1 after it yet the original was not visible and on the client server it shows up as the folder without the 1. I have autosync on so it is always syncing the data I enter. On this one audit, after the fact looking for the records, they are all blank on the server. So I have lost everything. I thought maybe it was due to me putting stuff in the 1 folder and the folder out on the server didn't have the extended name so I tested it and took one of the templates on my computer in the 1 folder and put some data in one of the templates. I then went out to the sharepoint server and the file had been update. Then since I had to recreate everything as best as I could, I had my client I was auditing send me the signin sheet again since she maintained that, I saved it to the sharepoint synced folder with the 1 and although it said I had made a change to that file about 10 minutes before which is about right, the file showed up blank! I have done audits since that audit not knowing this issue existed until the client went to look at their files and none of my recent audits have the same issue - they are all fine.

It seems since these are both dealing with folders, and are intermittent, they are linked. I was on with tech support and they didn't think so although didn't know the cause of either - they assume it is a onedrive issue.

Any ideas what could be causing this??? first issue - pain in the neck, 2nd issue big risk

:)

ilearningu, Sep 1, 2020

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hi,

To further identify the cause of this problem, can you provide us the following information?

• What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
    • Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?

Regards.

Engelsen Fad, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Duplicate folders being setup intermittently

onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Duplicate folders being setup intermittently

1. Duplicate folders being setup intermittently - Similar Threads - Duplicate folders being

2. Unexpected duplicate of USB scanner appears intermittently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unexpected duplicate of USB scanner appears intermittently: Windows 10 Pro fully updatedI am intermittently having a problem where I can't scan. Upon investigation I always find find the same problem: A second instance of the USB scanner has appeared and became the default. This new default never works, and the fix is to delete the...
  3. Duplicate Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Folders: My wife's laptop died, and I replaced it with a new Dell XPS 13. I restored files from a recent backup, but now I seem to have duplicate folders as you can see below. Some seem to be shortcuts; but when I look at the properties they aren't shortcuts. Can I safely delete...
  4. Files being duplicated in temp folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files being duplicated in temp folder: Hello, A few months ago a virus appeared on my Windows 10 device, and was apparently deleted by Kaspersky. Since then, I have had many issues like black screen on boot up, the computer not detecting my mouse, overheating and other various graphic issues. I looked into my...
  5. Duplicate folders

Duplicate folders: I have "Document folders" within "Documents. Also have several "User" files with Document folders. Why do I have so many Users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-folders/5c4e409f-7e6b-4584-b1b9-31227e9f4639
  6. Duplicate folders with an added extension being setup intermittently, and files not saving...

Duplicate folders with an added extension being setup intermittently, and files not saving...: I have several folders I had created on my OneDrive duplicate themselves and add the extension of my PC name. Then the files I create are stored in the one with the PC name extension, not the folder I created. In 2 cases it picked folders I had set up over a year ago and...
  7. Intermittent Folder issue

Intermittent Folder issue: My clean install of Windows 10 intermittently forgets what a folder is. It also constantly resets the default program settings at random times, removing all my settings to default. After I set my defaults, usually about 20 minutes late it resets them all back to default. I...
  8. Duplicate folders

Duplicate folders: How do I prevent my folders to duplicate. I have several folders that is duplicated with -DESKTOP at the end of the name and then the original folder is still there, but with no files in it. Would appreciate any help. Thanks Helga...
  9. Duplicate folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Duplicate folders: Why is there a duplicate folder of my desktop folder (stored on my main C Drive) in my User account? If I try to delete anything from the User/Desktop folder it also deletes it from the desktop folder stored on my main C Drive! Is this User Folder necessary? Is it taking up...
  10. Duplicate folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate folders: Thanks for having me on these boards. This is a new laptop preinstalled with W10 x64. Under 'This PC' I have a bunch of folders: 3D objects, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. Under 'Users/howar': I have the same set of folders plus some more,...