Windows 10: Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder

Discus and support Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Somehow my wife's laptop a Dell Laptop running an up-to-date Windows 10 OS has gotten 2 same-named folders Very Active with important data in her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tpcr19, Dec 28, 2019.

1. tpcr19 Win User

Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder

Somehow my wife's laptop a Dell Laptop running an up-to-date Windows 10 OS has gotten 2 same-named folders Very Active with important data in her Documents folder. I've tried several things to fix by deleting 1 of the duplicate folders, moving files , etc. but nothing has worked. We'd appreciate any help you can supply!

:)

tpcr19, Dec 28, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Duplicate Documents Folders

Hi Batya,

Conflicts with the OneDrive settings on your computer is one of the possible reasons why you have duplicate document folders. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which Version and OS Build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.

Meanwhile, you can try unlinking your OneDrive from your computer and re-activate it under a new and empty folder on your hard drive after you restart your device.

Regards.

Eric Ber, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder

Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder

1. Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder - Similar Threads - Duplicate Folders Documents

2. robocopy output has duplicate documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    robocopy output has duplicate documents folder: Here's the ROBOCOPY command that I run to backup my documents folder to an external drive:ROBOCOPY C:\Users\ddd\Documents "%destdrive%:\xxx documents" /XF ~* *.tmp *.temp desktop.ini /E /XO /XJ /XJD /XJF /PURGE /NP /NDL "/LOG:C:\Users\ddd\Documents\ \robocopy logs\document...
  3. robocopy output has duplicate documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    robocopy output has duplicate documents folder: Here's the ROBOCOPY command that I run to backup my documents folder to an external drive:ROBOCOPY C:\Users\ddd\Documents "%destdrive%:\xxx documents" /XF ~* *.tmp *.temp desktop.ini /E /XO /XJ /XJD /XJF /PURGE /NP /NDL "/LOG:C:\Users\ddd\Documents\ \robocopy logs\document...
  4. Duplicate Documents folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate Documents folders: I'm new to Windows 11 - old time #10 user. Why is there a "Documents" folder in my desktop display- the one that shows when i click on my Name folder in the upper LH of the desktop, and another under c:/user/me/Documents? They are not connected or synchronized....
  5. Duplicate Documents folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate Documents folders: I'm new to Windows 11 - old time #10 user. Why is there a "Documents" folder in my desktop display- the one that shows when i click on my Name folder in the upper LH of the desktop, and another under c:/user/me/Documents? They are not connected or synchronized....
  6. Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder

Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder: Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-duplicated-in-pictures-folder/00af09ce-e789-4e17-b6bc-1385950e6eed
  7. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  8. Duplicate Documents Folders in Navigation Pane

Duplicate Documents Folders in Navigation Pane: Hello everyone, Im having trouble with restoring Documents and Downloads folders in this pc. Initially i tried to change default folder locations ssd to hdd but it was a mess so I wanted to restore it back. Now im confused because whenever i try to "restore to default" at the...
  9. Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Documents and Pictures folders: I have discovered that I have two Documents and two Pictures folders: one of each is in "This PC" and one in "Windows (C)>Users>[my name]". They are not synced and I seem to have to copy files from one to the other to get them to show the same; if I don't I have problems...
  10. Duplicate Documents folder Under This Pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Documents folder Under This Pc: Hey all Version 1511 installed. Other fixes don't work. I tried removing documents from this pc with the reg file. Also didn't work. With time, number of documents folders increase. The folders go away when clicked into another folder or a new explorer window opened....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. On Windows 10 there seem to be duplicate folders containing the same documents but I am not sure they are duplicates at all