Windows 10: Duplicate folders in my File Explorer

Discus and support Duplicate folders in my File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know this had been covered long ago. It is impossible for me to find that particular thread. Would someone please tell me how I can remove those 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davidhk, Nov 22, 2020.

1. davidhk Win User

Duplicate folders in my File Explorer

I know this had been covered long ago. It is impossible for me to find that particular thread.
    Would someone please tell me how I can remove those 2 duplicate folders?
    Thank you.

Duplicate folders in my File Explorer [​IMG]

:)

davidhk, Nov 22, 2020
  2. Geethu B Win User

Multiple Duplicate Folders under This PC in File Explorer

Hi Grant,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are getting multiple duplicate folders for Documents in the left pane of File Explorer. I will surely help you.

I suggest you to exit OneDrive from Task Manager and System Tray, this will stop OneDrive Syncing. Now backup the contents of the Documents folder and delete the duplicate folders. Restart the computer and open OneDrive to start Syncing again. Now drag and
    drop the Documents folder to OneDrive and check if you face any issues.

Step 1:

To exit OneDrive from Task Manager follow these steps:

a. Right-click on Task Bar.

b. Click on Task Manager.

c. Under Processes, right-click on OneDrive
    and click on End Task.

Step 2:

To exit OneDrive from System Tray follow these steps.

a. Right-click on OneDrive icon in System Tray.

b. Click on Exit.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Duplicate folders in my File Explorer

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Duplicate folders in my File Explorer

1. Duplicate folders in my File Explorer - Similar Threads - Duplicate folders File

2. Duplicating folders and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicating folders and files: When reinstalling a program if there are any program files or folders left behind from the same program what happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicating-folders-and-files/5b9d8df3-9cd7-4a19-8890-3c43adc203bb
  3. Duplicating folders and files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicating folders and files: When reinstalling a program if there are any program files or folders left behind from the same program what happens https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicating-folders-and-files/5b9d8df3-9cd7-4a19-8890-3c43adc203bb
  4. Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11: I am using Windows 11 and in File Explorer I am seeing duplicate folder names under each of my library folders.This I am finding very confusing and I don't know if this is normal or an error. I am using a new computer and I do not what to transfer my files from the old system...
  5. Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11

Duplicate folders in File Explorer Windows 11: I am using Windows 11 and in File Explorer I am seeing duplicate folder names under each of my library folders.This I am finding very confusing and I don't know if this is normal or an error. I am using a new computer and I do not what to transfer my files from the old system...
  6. File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder: When using OneDrive, if you try to duplicate a folder, it creates a copy of all the files inside instead of creating a copy of the folder.So if I have this folder structure:New Folder file1.txtThen when I copy-paste the folder to duplicate it, I get this:New Folder file1 -...
  7. File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder

File Explorer with Onedrive duplicates files in folder instead of folder: When using OneDrive, if you try to duplicate a folder, it creates a copy of all the files inside instead of creating a copy of the folder.So if I have this folder structure:New Folder file1.txtThen when I copy-paste the folder to duplicate it, I get this:New Folder file1 -...
  8. Duplicate Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicate Files and Folders: How can I remove duplicate files and folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files-and-folders/25f61947-9acb-48a9-9604-177d7276afdb
  9. Getting duplicate file folders in file explorer, how to fix?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting duplicate file folders in file explorer, how to fix?: I am getting duplicate file folders in explorer. Sub-folders that I have in Desktop folder are duplicated at bottom of file list. I cannot move or delete the duplicates without losing the originals. Also "Libraries" is duplicated and cannot remove....
  10. Duplicate File folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Duplicate File folders: I have two identical file folders called BAS. Most of my business folders are in the BAS file. One BAS file is found in: This PC > Windows C: > Baile > Documents The other BAS file is found in: This PC Windows C: > Users > Baile > Documents Both reference...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Duplicate folder Windows 10