Windows 10: Duplicate folders

Discus and support Duplicate folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Why is there a duplicate folder of my desktop folder (stored on my main C Drive) in my User account? If I try to delete anything from the User/Desktop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by orealius, Jun 18, 2018.

1. orealius Win User

Duplicate folders

Why is there a duplicate folder of my desktop folder (stored on my main C Drive) in my User account? If I try to delete anything from the User/Desktop folder it also deletes it from the desktop folder stored on my main C Drive!
    Is this User Folder necessary? Is it taking up ACTUAL space?

Thanks

*Confused

:)

orealius, Jun 18, 2018

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hi,

To further identify the cause of this problem, can you provide us the following information?

• What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
    • Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?

Regards.

Engelsen Fad, Jun 19, 2018
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jun 19, 2018
  4. Eric-Kell Win User

Duplicate folders

Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

Duplicate folders

1. Duplicate folders - Similar Threads - Duplicate folders

2. How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC": Hi Team, Good day. In my PC there are some duplicate System Folders created automatically [ATTACH] I have tried to make changes in registry "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" but no use. Kindly advise....
  3. Moving the documents folder to another drive but now duplicated

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving the documents folder to another drive but now duplicated: My first post - I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in, apologies if wrong! After cloning and fitting an SSD (960GB) to my pc, I wanted to free some space up so followed the tutorial from here to move the documents folder to an empty drive (it's 400+GB in...
  4. WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5

WindowsApps folder has 2 duplicate unusable, undiscoverable 65GB installations of Gears 5: I have spent last 3 hours trying to change folder ownership and security, to delete them, but nothing seems to work. Do these folders get deleted when unused over time or is there any other way of removing them. Thanks [ATTACH]...
  5. savings attachments multiple times to the same folder creates duplicates

savings attachments multiple times to the same folder creates duplicates: I save needed attachments to folders on my computer. Sometimes I do not remember if I saved the attachment. With my previous computer, if I attempted to save the same file to the same folder, a warning appeared asking if I desired to overwrite the file. With my new computer a...
  6. Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a reason Windows shows duplicate folders when using OneDrive: Two Documents and two Desktop folders. But only one Pictures folder. The locations to the two empty folders show as username\documents and username\desktop. The "other" desktop and Documents are located in the username\OneDrive Folder. I always get confused on this part...
  7. Duplicate folders

Duplicate folders: How do I prevent my folders to duplicate. I have several folders that is duplicated with -DESKTOP at the end of the name and then the original folder is still there, but with no files in it. Would appreciate any help. Thanks Helga...
  8. Duplicated folder on LEFT column of This Pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated folder on LEFT column of This Pc: Happened when shuffling my Videos folder about from one location to a temp location then back again. Cosmetic, really - but annoying. One shows as Videos, the other as is location, F:/; only the first appears in the right column display. See below [img] 136696
  9. How do I compare two folders and delete duplicate files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I compare two folders and delete duplicate files?: A Google search shows a few programs and none of them I'd trust on general principle, you know, the flashy type websites which you know the program is probably full of ad ware or something nasty? Any reliable program that can take two folders and display them side by side and...
  10. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete duplicate Subfolder public folder