Windows 10: Duplicate user folder on desktop

Discus and support Duplicate user folder on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled windows 10 21H1 because I had some system file corruption. After I was sure everything was ok I removed Windows.old using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichardMase, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Duplicate user folder on desktop

I recently reinstalled windows 10 21H1 because I had some system file corruption. After I was sure everything was ok I removed Windows.old using the remove function in settings/storage/temp files. I noticed that there is a folder on my desktop with my user name. It is the same as the one in c:\users. Everything in there is the same in each of those two folders.. Is this an artifact from windows.old that did not get removed? Is it safe to delete the one on the desktop? Which one is the correct one? If I delete one will the other also disappear?

:)

RichardMase, Jul 23, 2021

2. issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

Howdy folks!

I am new to tenforums, having my normal residence at sevenforums. But I'm attempting to help my wife with her fairly new (June) Asus Tuf laptop with Win10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1256, AMD Ryzen7, 16GB RAM

She somehow ended up with 2 Desktop folders showing under ThisPC and no Pictures folder. I ran the program listed in the tutorial in this forum
    ( Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10)

to merge the 2 Desktop folders. Now it shows only 1 in ThisPC and still 2 in Users\ebeet (my wife initial and part of last name).

The icons for the 2 in her Users folder both correctly show a computer screen and in properties says Desktop. The 1 listed under ThisPC has a Pictures icon although in Properties on General Tab it says Desktop. But when you go to Location Tab it says for Target location C:\Users\ebeet\Pictures.

So the Regedit file removed the duplicate listing in the File Tree but things aren't right. Trying to change the location in Properties didn't work.

I've attached a snip to show both folders.

Any suggestions on a solution would be helpful, and thanks in advance! happy New Year to ya!
    Michael

miztrniceguy, Jul 23, 2021
  3. Eric-Kell Win User
    Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Jul 23, 2021
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Duplicate user folder on desktop

Duplicate User folder.

Hi Eric,

To better understand the concern, kindly provide us the following information:

• How did you move the default folders? Did you move it one by one or did you copy your user folder and paste it on the partition?
    • What other folders are on your partition besides the default folders?
    • Are you experiencing any problems on your computer when you noticed that you have a duplicate folder on your partition? If so, kindly explain to us the problem you're experiencing.
    If possible, kindly send us screenshots of the properties of the default folders on your C: and D: partitions.

We'll be waiting to your response.

Argel Obm, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

Duplicate user folder on desktop

1. Duplicate user folder on desktop - Similar Threads - Duplicate user folder

2. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  3. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  4. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Duplicate Desktop named user folders after trying to relocate the user folders to D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate Desktop named user folders after trying to relocate the user folders to D:: Got a new computer and wanted to move my desktop, downloads, documents user folder locations to D: drive isntead of C:Somehow accidentally got it to turn the Downloads folder to be named Desktop aswelland I cant seem to change the name back to DownloadsCan anybody help me fix...
  6. Duplicate Desktop named user folders after trying to relocate the user folders to D:

Duplicate Desktop named user folders after trying to relocate the user folders to D:: Got a new computer and wanted to move my desktop, downloads, documents user folder locations to D: drive isntead of C:Somehow accidentally got it to turn the Downloads folder to be named Desktop aswelland I cant seem to change the name back to DownloadsCan anybody help me fix...
  7. Duplicate Desktop named user folders after trying to relocate the user folders to D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  9. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  10. User folders duplicates solution?

in Windows 10 Support
    User folders duplicates solution?: Hello there! Straight to the point: In Win10 I've set the default location for docs, music, videos, and pictures to be on my second drive "D" in the "Change where new content is saved" settings and now I have D:/Niko/(all of the above). But when I go to C:/Users/Niko I have...