Windows 10: Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7

Discus and support Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I recently updated a Win7 computer to Win10. When the Win10 logon screen pops up, it shows duplicate user (Domain) and duplicate "other user":... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NWeavo, Jul 3, 2019.

1. NWeavo Win User

Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7

So I recently updated a Win7 computer to Win10.

When the Win10 logon screen pops up, it shows duplicate user (Domain) and duplicate "other user":

John Smith

Other user

John Smith

Other user

Any ideas on how to fix this?

:)

NWeavo, Jul 3, 2019
  2. untz Win User

user accounts duplicated on logon screen

Hi,

I have installed Windows10 Enterprise on several laptops at work.

For some odd reason, after the computer has been put to sleep, upon waking up (or waking up from hibernation), the logon screen suddenly shows duplicated user accounts for login.

When Windows was first installed I had two options for logging in:

UserA

Other User

After the scenarios described above, the screen shows:

UserA

UserA

Other User

Other User

The weird part is that the next time I hibernate the computer, upon waking it up THIS is what I see:

UserA

UserA

UserA

Other User

Other User

Other User

Sometimes I even have to restart the whole machine to be able to login again, beacuse if I restart it the "surplus" accounts are removed.

I saw some users complainng about this happening in Windows7 - they removed biometric login options (fingerprint, facial recognition), and it was OK.

My problem is that this image is installed using PXE boot. It's a completely plain image I'm working with here..no preinstalled software at all.

Anyone else experienced this with Windows10 on laptops?

UPDATE:

I now tried another approach:

I restarted the computer, "acted if" i was going to log in, but instead of typing the password, I wait and then it goes back to the lock screen. When hitting a key to get to the logon screen to type the password, a new user account duplicate shows up every
    time. Both for UserA and for Other User. I right now have EIGHT of each user accounts visible on the screen.

Best regards,

untz, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Eric-Kell Win User
    Duplicate User folder.

I moved my default Pictures, Documents, Music folders to a new Data partition (D).

My Users/myName folder remained on the C partition.

Everything was fine for 2 years.

For some reason this myName folder is now duplicated on the D partition (D\myName)

I have now a default documents folder in

• D\Documents
    • D\myName\Documents
    • Onedrive\Documents
    • C\Users\myName\Documents
    The same with the other system folders.

I can not change the location of the folders in the 2 duplicate user folders.

Rightclicking in properties, there is no location option.

Only the folders in OneDrive and the D partition have this option.

Any ideas?

Eric-Kell, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7

Duplicate subfolders in User folder

Good try, Shawn. I did that. The deleted ones are gone when I reboot. However, when I recreate the deleted one, it duplicates itself.
    What I did notice when I rebooted is that at the logon screen, there is mention at the bottom left screen of two users: my own and 'default user'. I wonder if that messes up things. Because I never did create such a user.

gallicbear, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7

1. Duplicate Users and Duplicate "Other User" on Win10 Logon Screen after Upgrade from Win7 - Similar Threads - Duplicate Users Duplicate

2. DUPLICATE USER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DUPLICATE USER: I have a second user in my Windows 11 account. It is the reverse of my given name and surname, with a period between. I did not create this user account. It requires a password and I do not know that password....
  3. DUPLICATE USER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DUPLICATE USER: I have a second user in my Windows 11 account. It is the reverse of my given name and surname, with a period between. I did not create this user account. It requires a password and I do not know that password....
  4. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  5. Duplicated user folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicated user folders: Hey everyone. Here's my issue: I changed the location of my Documents folder, more specifically the one that shows up in Quick Access, away from OneDrive, but I found that there's a second Documents folder that's still set to the OneDrive folder even tho I deleted it and...
  6. duplicate a user account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    duplicate a user account?: is there someway to duplicate a user account - all the shortcuts, installed software, group policy settings, firewall settings, hard drive permissions and etc. making this anew would just take so much time i want this for testing purposes and backup thanks a lot...
  7. Other User on logon screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Other User on logon screen: Hi, the laptop given to me by my school suddenly started saying other user on logon, I am not the administrator is there anyway to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/other-user-on-logon-screen/dbadf391-f7b2-44a2-aef4-dd4257875d3a
  8. Duplicate user accounts

Duplicate user accounts: I accidently created a duplicate user for myself on my HP laptop. Can I move files or consolidate the info into my main user name? I don't want files in two places....
  9. Duplicate User

Duplicate User: Turned on computer and was given message saying "scanning and repairing c" After that logged into windows and it said that I've been signed into a temporary profile, signed out and restarted multiple times to make sure that wasn't the problem but still the same result....
  10. "Duplicate" user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Duplicate" user name: I have two user profiles with similar names, one was created when I upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. The two user names are MAGS and MAGS.000. If I look at the registry, they have identical SID's, except for the rightmost (last) number - MAGS has -500, MAGS.000 has -1000. If...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. duplicate users in windows 10 after upgrading from windows 7

2. windows 10 login duplicate user after upgrade from windows 7