Windows 10: DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer

Discus and support DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Royal-Airs, Jun 17, 2019.

1. DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer

DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer

:)

Royal-Airs, Jun 17, 2019

2. CD/DVD Player Not Reading CD or DVD Disks

Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods to fix issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

1. Press “Windows key + X”.

2. Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

3. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

4. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

5. Follow the On Screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and install the network adapter drivers as below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives.
    • Right click on the driver select Update Driver Software.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Also, see:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Disclaimer: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.

Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow
    the steps to do the same:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type regedit in the run box.
    • Locate and click the key or subkey that you want to back up.
    • Click the File menu, and then click Export.
    • In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the
      File name box.
    • Click Save.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 17, 2019
  3. quickie Win User
    Computer can read DVDs, but not CDs

Hi Everyone,

My Computer seems to only be able to read DVDs but not CDs. When I insert a blank CD, the Rom Drive light just blinks (I cant hear the CD actually spinning).

At first, I thought it was my LG GSA-H42N DVD Writer going bad or a bad batch of blank CDs. So I checked the blank CDs on another computer, with another LG drive (GCE-8525B, CD Writer): it burnt a CD, no problems.

Next, I pulled the LG CD-Writer and hooked it up to the same system as the LG DVD Writer. Both drives won't read CDs.

I booted the system using a CD (Memtest) and the computer read the disk fine. So I'm thinking it's a windows/software problem. But to be honest, I have no clue what's going on here.

The only burning software I have is Nero 8. But I've used this program before. I uninstalled the program, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?*Confused DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer :confused:

Thanks!

quickie, Jun 17, 2019
  4. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

I tried steps 1 through 5 listed in this article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-program

The DVD R/W drive is in a Dell XPS 8300 PC and this morning I ran Dell Support Assist.

The built in drive self test passed as well as the CD Rom test. Could not complete the DVD tests because it doesn't recognize that I inserted a DVD.

RMS_123, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

1. DVD/CD drive can't seem to read disks on my Dell Computer - Similar Threads - DVD drive can't

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. USB CD / DVD drive keeps ejecting disks - won't read

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB CD / DVD drive keeps ejecting disks - won't read: I've tried every thing I've found while searching, so maybe someone has a new idea... I have Surface Pro 4 with docking station. The DVD drive is LG AP70NS50. Same behavior whether connected to dock or directly to the Surface's USB port. Inserting disk will spin up, but...
  5. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  6. Can't read CD/DVD

Can't read CD/DVD: Wanted to write some series of the Prison Break to a DVD-R 1x-16 4.7 GB/120min and i did it in my new PC. The disk is created for a laptop wich has a MATHSITA DVD-RAM UJ88D1 reader/writer. I have some other same type of disks with other series from the Prison Break and when I...
  7. My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop: My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cddvd-drive-can-not-read-or-write-dell-5570/8a6c31dd-6cd0-4303-b490-9c164d2340ac
  8. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...
  9. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since upgrading my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading and than the drive opens and the pop up box appears stating "Insert Disk" . So I cannot install any of my software. I have read that a lot of people are having the same...