Windows 10: DVD/CD Drive not showing in Control Panel Reads but Will Not Write

Discus and support DVD/CD Drive not showing in Control Panel Reads but Will Not Write in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Quite suddenly my DELL XPS has failed to Write any DVD or CD's it Reads, but will not allow FORMAT or WRITE. In searching I find that my DELL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ggadwa, May 24, 2021.

1. ggadwa Win User

DVD/CD Drive not showing in Control Panel Reads but Will Not Write

Quite suddenly my DELL XPS has failed to Write any DVD or CD's it Reads, but will not allow FORMAT or WRITE. In searching I find that my DELL HL-DT-STDVD+RW shows up in Device Manager but is not found in Control Panel under Devices and Printers or anywhere else? In Explorer the DVD RW Drive shows up but I can not use the drive functions. I need help in getting my DVD/CD Drive back to functionality. IDEAS??? GARY Windows Version 10 PRO 20H2 OS BUILD 19042.985

:)

ggadwa, May 24, 2021

2. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it,
    but the fault persists. I am also running Linux O/S in the same PC, but on a separate hard drive and Linux cannot rear/write DVDs either, which suggests that the fault is either in the drive itself or in BIOS, perhaps. By the way, I rarely use the CD/DVD
    drive. Only to install software and that is no more than a few times a year, so I doubt that the drive is worn.

Finally, I also have an old IDE CD/DVD drive and when I connected it it could not read/write to DVDs, but worked with CDs.

I am running Windows 10 Home V. 1809 O/S build 17763.475

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000

Any help would be much appreciated,

Best regards,

Alex

AlexanderHamilton2, May 24, 2021
  3. CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

I am running AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.1Ghz with NVidia GeForce GT730 graphic card and my CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs. When a DVD is inserted the drive runs for a minute or more and then I get an error message either "insert the
    disc and try again" or "no media"!

The drive reads and writes to CDs OK! I do not use DVDs very often. Usually only to download software and burn to disc for installation. I have not needed to to that for some months, so I do not know when this fault developed.

Is it possible that a Windows update changed the setting and disabled the DVD part of the drive? If that is the case, perhaps the best option is to wait in hope that this problem will be resolved in a later update.

Needless to say, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Best regards,

Alex.

AlexanderHamilton2, May 24, 2021
  4. Autobahn Win User

Cheap External CD/DVD drive with quickish read/write

I've searched this website and Google to try and find a cd/dvd drive that is not too expensive but has quickish read/write speeds.

I have a new laptop which does not have a built-in cd/dvd. I have bought an external blu-ray/dvd/cd drive but when using EAC to make a copy of my cds the read speed is extremely slow.

Does anyone know of only a cd/dvd drive that is not too expensive but still has pretty quick read/write?

Autobahn, May 24, 2021
Thema:

1. DVD/CD Drive not showing in Control Panel Reads but Will Not Write - Similar Threads - DVD Drive showing

2. Error writing to CD/DVD drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error writing to CD/DVD drive.: Hi,I'm running an HP 250 G6 laptop. The CD/DVD drive is happy reading discs but I can't write either a CD or a DVD.I'm running Windows 10 21H2.The issue is I so rarely burn discs, that I've no idea when this started but all attempts get a "Write Failure". I have read that...
  3. Error writing to CD/DVD drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error writing to CD/DVD drive.: Hi,I'm running an HP 250 G6 laptop. The CD/DVD drive is happy reading discs but I can't write either a CD or a DVD.I'm running Windows 10 21H2.The issue is I so rarely burn discs, that I've no idea when this started but all attempts get a "Write Failure". I have read that...
  4. Error writing to CD/DVD drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cheap External CD/DVD drive with quickish read/write

Cheap External CD/DVD drive with quickish read/write: I've searched this website and Google to try and find a cd/dvd drive that is not too expensive but has quickish read/write speeds. I have a new laptop which does not have a built-in cd/dvd. I have bought an external blu-ray/dvd/cd drive but when using EAC to make a copy of...
  6. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  7. My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop: My CD/DVD drive can not read or write. Dell 5570 Laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cddvd-drive-can-not-read-or-write-dell-5570/8a6c31dd-6cd0-4303-b490-9c164d2340ac
  8. cd/dvd not reading/writing

cd/dvd not reading/writing: I have a hp notebook series 2000 laptop and my computer recognizes drive E as the cd/dvd drive and opens tray and says please insert disc. but when a disc is inserted it still tells me to insert disc. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are registering and...
  9. CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK

CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs - CDs OK: I am running AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.1Ghz with NVidia GeForce GT730 graphic card and my CD/DVD drive cannot read/write DVDs. When a DVD is inserted the drive runs for a minute or more and then I get an error message either "insert the disc and try again"...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...