Windows 10: DVD/CD player not recognized

Discus and support DVD/CD player not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After updating, my DVD/CD player is not recognized Win10/64bit. Why they removed them, is anybody's guess - what a pain - but that's a separate issue.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HolDav1, Nov 17, 2020.

1. HolDav1 Win User

DVD/CD player not recognized

After updating, my DVD/CD player is not recognized Win10/64bit. Why they removed them, is anybody's guess - what a pain - but that's a separate issue.

Here's what I've done:

1 Updated all drivers in Device Manager. Made sure all hidden files are showing. Made sure legacies are showing.

2 Renamed drive in Disk Management

3 Updated registry entries.

4 unplug and re-plug in the peripheral DVD/CD player and uninstalled, reinstalled as necessary

5 Updated all ATA/ATAPI as necessary.

It works each time I want to play a DVD/CD. And then, then next one I play, I have to start the process all over from the beginning.

There has to be a better way. Seriously. Each time I put a new DVD or CD in, it doesn't recognize it and just thinks it's some general USB peripheral. So frustrating. I don't want to spend 20 minutes every time I want to play a DVD or CD.

Anyone found a single solution that works consistently each time?

Thanks,

H.

:)

HolDav1, Nov 17, 2020

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

DVD/CD player not recognized [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Nov 17, 2020
  3. my cd/dvd player is not listed

my cd/dvd player burner is not listed or recognized after a windows 10 hp 32 reinstall

charlesfrischknecht, Nov 17, 2020
  4. DVD/CD player not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

DVD/CD player not recognized

1. DVD/CD player not recognized - Similar Threads - DVD player recognized

2. CD/DVD player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD/DVD player: I've plugged my external cd/dvd player in, and I can see it under this PC, but it wont load the disc to play. When the disc is partially in the player, I can use the eject button to eject the disc....
  3. CD/DVD player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD/DVD player: I've plugged my external cd/dvd player in, and I can see it under this PC, but it wont load the disc to play. When the disc is partially in the player, I can use the eject button to eject the disc....
  4. My DVD/CD Player is not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My DVD/CD Player is not Recognized: I recently lost my DVD/CD player from playing anything and I tried troubleshooting but still cannot get it to work.I took his computer to Staples and they had to do a Factory reset but the DVD/CD Player problem still exist. What do I need to do to get it working again?...
  5. cd/dvd player

cd/dvd player: I am very disappointed in my purchase of this new lap top. Every time I try to play a cd, I get a window saying it was not installed properly and sends me to the store. I cannot find help there. I am ready to return the laptop....
  6. dvd cd player

dvd cd player: Hi. i have a problem with my cd drive. when i open it microsoft store pops up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-cd-player/c2285b8a-29b3-40a5-ab91-8f9f5181eb89
  7. cd dvd players

cd dvd players: All 3 of my Dell computers Windows 10, latest updates installed} freeze up when trying to read DVD+rw discs. When I click on a file on ANY disc,tried many discs the computers just lock up, D drive is deleted, and I have to do a reboot to get them started again. Tried...
  8. dvd/cd players

dvd/cd players: My dvd/cd players both quit playing movies. I can still copy? Windows 10. When I check into them they both say they are working?? But they are not. I shut off and opened the computer disconnected them both. Turned it on then turned it off. Then plugged them both back in,...
  9. DVD/CD player

DVD/CD player: Hello. My HP laptop has a built in DVD/CD player which I used quite a bit in the past. Since upgrading to Windows 10 none of the CD's or DVD's will play. Windows media player is installed. The device shows in DVD RW Drive E: Can anyone tell me why this is or what to do to fix...
  10. DVD/CD player

DVD/CD player: I need help. My DVD/CD player is not working on my HP laptop. It just whirs around but never opens. I did play a music video not long ago and it worked great but now the CD does not work. I really would like to get the CD pictures off it....