Windows 10: DVD drive did not install but a floppy drive did (I don't have one)

Discus and support DVD drive did not install but a floppy drive did (I don't have one) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Build 10130 installed fine from DVD but after install install DVD drive did not work at all. I checked device manager and there was no optical drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrQueely, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MrQueely Win User

DVD drive did not install but a floppy drive did (I don't have one)

Build 10130 installed fine from DVD but after install install DVD drive did not work at all. I checked device manager and there was no optical drives listed at all, nut there was a listing for a 3.5" floppy A: drive, which is not even in my rig.

I tried scanning for new hardware but the drive is still not found and the 3.5" floppy driver is re-installed.
    I unchecked "Hide empty drives" and there is no DVD drive shown.
    The drive worked in 8.1 before I did a clean install of 10.

Any thoughts?

:)

MrQueely, Jun 24, 2015

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognise my DVD burner

since installing windows 10 I'e been unable to use my DVD burner. it is showing up in My Computer as E: drive but when i check the properties it is the driver for a floppy disc drive (i don't have one of these connected to my PC!). Ive been into the bios
    and disabled the floppy disc but now it seems to be using a hard disc driver.

I have been into device manager and there isnt an 'unknown' device' but there also isnt a CD/DVD device listed.

Ive searched the web for a driver for my LG device to install manually but ive come up empty, LG say to use the windows driver and that it will install automatically!!

Any ideas?!

Gordon Fletcher, Jun 24, 2015
  3. romanlady Win User
    missing D drive after downloading anniversary edition

I tried method 1 and it did not work. After uninstalling the DVD when it restarted, the DVD drive reappeared with a mark indicating it did not work. I don't know the manufacturer of the DVD drive, so I did not try method 2, and I don't know enough about
    downloading drives. Furthermore this anniversary edition is much slower than the one I previously had in starting and when I click on things. Do you have any other suggestions for help?

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

romanlady, Jun 24, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Have you checked the BIOS to assure the ODD/Optical Disc Drive is being recognized and that the Floppy Drive A: [and/or B:] is Disabled, if it is even shown as a choice? Computers of the last few years don't give a choice of floppy drives and the motherboards may not even have the port for the internal drive.

Berton, Jun 24, 2015
  5. MrQueely Win User
    I disabled the floppy in BIOS which fixed that problem. The optical drive is being recognized by BIOS but still does not show up anywhere in Windows, Device Manager or otherwise.

MrQueely, Jun 25, 2015
  6. MrQueely Win User
    I installed Build 10159 and the CD/DVD is still not recognized but it does show up in BIOS.

I tried unplugging the drive and rebooting, then plugging it back in and rebooting again. It did not solve the issue.

I don't know what else to try?

MrQueely, Jul 1, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    Let us see what you see in Device Manager. Someone may see something you don't and might provide a solution.

BTW, are there any splats (exclamation point) or any unknown devices showing?

Wynona, Jul 1, 2015
  8. DVD drive did not install but a floppy drive did (I don't have one)

Is your DVD drive an external drive? You said you unplugged it, and plugged it back in.
    Or did you mean you opened the computer and unplugged/plugged the SATA cable?

CountryBumkin, Jul 1, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Good catch, Country! I missed that. And, it could be the problem if the drive's pretty old.

Wynona, Jul 1, 2015
  10. MrQueely Win User
    I opened the computer and unplugged the sata cable (and power).
    The only splat is for a co-processor and it has always been there.

I've looked at my device manager hundreds of time and the only difference is the missing cd/dvd drives.

MrQueely, Jul 2, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    Do you, by any chance, have access to another DVD drive? If so, can you plug it in and see if it will be recognized? Just an off chance your drive may not be playing nicely.

Wynona, Jul 2, 2015
  12. MrQueely Win User
    No I don't have another drive handy, but I was thinking about switching to a new one anyway. I don't even remember who made the one that's acting up (no name on it either).
    This will take a while since I use PayPal and switching money through the bank and having the new drive delivered will take about 6 weeks lol.

MrQueely, Jul 2, 2015
  13. Wynona Win User

Oh, dang! That doesn't sound like an ideal situation!

Wynona, Jul 2, 2015
  14. MrQueely Win User
    Well now that I think about it I only use the drive for bootable disks anyway. Now that I use the cloud so much I rarely transfer anything to disk.
    Did I mention I can still boot from the drive? *Redface

MrQueely, Jul 2, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Yeah, that was in one of your first posts.

It's strange that you can boot from it, but it's not recognized by anything else.

Wynona, Jul 2, 2015
Thema:

1. DVD drive did not install but a floppy drive did (I don't have one) - Similar Threads - DVD drive did

2. Why did ONE Drive Move My Folder from the PC to ONE Drive?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did ONE Drive Move My Folder from the PC to ONE Drive?!: For my entire adult life, I have been saving my documents and pictures on my PC under "Documents" and "Photos." But I looked in File Explore today and low and behold -- ALL of my documents and photos are GONE. I checked under ONE Drive and I found them there instead....
  3. Why did ONE Drive Move My Folder from the PC to ONE Drive?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did ONE Drive Move My Folder from the PC to ONE Drive?!: For my entire adult life, I have been saving my documents and pictures on my PC under "Documents" and "Photos." But I looked in File Explore today and low and behold -- ALL of my documents and photos are GONE. I checked under ONE Drive and I found them there instead....
  4. External floppy drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External floppy drive: Will Microsoft ever come out with a driver to support external floppy drives for windows 10 pro? What have you done to windows 10 & 10 pro? So so many people want a answer. * Moved from Mobile Devices...
  5. USB Floppy Drive

USB Floppy Drive: I have a USB floppy drive that I cannot connect to my desktop. This PC is running Windows 10. In addition this drive is seen in the device Manager but not in the Windows Explorer...
  6. Why did one drive delete all my files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why did one drive delete all my files.: Thankfully I made a Local back up of my source code. Please would somebody at Microsoft tell me why, when i canceled OneDrive that i didn't ask for back upin the middle of it to save on bandwidth did it delete all my local files resulting an incomplete backup, resulting in...
  7. Did I lose A External Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did I lose A External Hard Drive?: Okay so basically I just bought an external USB hardrive so I can have more space for my PS4/Desktop. I first used it a little on my PC [worked fine] Then used it on my PS4. It told me I had to Format it [which I did] But now I can’t use it on my PC anymore, the plugged in...
  8. 5.25" Floppy drive install

5.25" Floppy drive install: Anyone know how to adapt a legacy 5.25 floppy drive to a Windows 10 MOBO through a USB port? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/525-floppy-drive-install/ef72aa6d-18de-4ebf-97ca-50d54b6e3244
  9. Win 10 shows my dvd drive as a floppy

Win 10 shows my dvd drive as a floppy: after updating from win 7 ultimate to win 10 pro my dvd player/burner shows as a floppy drive. 13990
  10. Where did the DVD drives go

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Where did the DVD drives go: Hello! A strange one for me. The DVD drives do not show except on Device Manager or Disk Management. SO NO DVD Drives in File Manager. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and make sure that you have a great day! 38593