Windows 10: DVD drive intermittently detected

Discus and support DVD drive intermittently detected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ever since updating windows 10 to version 1809 the DVD drive was not being detected at all. After following all the sugestions from help forums the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dalziel63, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Dalziel63 Win User

DVD drive intermittently detected

Ever since updating windows 10 to version 1809 the DVD drive was not being detected at all. After following all the sugestions from help forums the drive (sata) is now detected but intermittently. Each time the computer is switched on it is hit & miss whether the drive will be detected. This morning the drive was not detected. This afternoon it was and is in use now burning a DVD.

A roll back to version 1803 did not solve the problem even though I had been running version 1803 for months without any problems!

Even a clean install did not help. I suspect this is a Microsoft update problem and hope they resolve it with the next April update. One can only hope!

:)

Dalziel63, Mar 22, 2019

2. CD/DVD drive not detected Lenovo G510

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Is the DVD drive External or Internal?

Method 1: Check if the DVD drive is getting detected in Disk Management

Refer the steps below to open disc management:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Disk Management.
    • Click on Actions and click on rescan disks and click on
      Refresh and check if issue persists.
    If there is no drive letter assigned, I suggest you right click on the DVD drive and assign a drive letter and check if it helps.

Method 2

Try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest chipset drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Optical Drive (CD/DVD) not detected by Windows 10

I know this has been asked in the community many times already by others, and i have tried all of those fixes. Nothing works for me. My laptop is a new Lenovo e560. The cd/dvd drive is detected in the BIOS - can even boot with another bootable DVD.

Steps already tried:

• LowerFilters & UpperFilters strings removed from under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted the laptop.

• Added Controller0 key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\ and added a DWORD
      EnumDevice1 with value 1, and rebooted the laptop.

• In Device Manager, clicked View->Show Hidden Objects, expanded the
      DVD/CDROM Devices and uninstalled my DVD drive from the list. It never got detected or installed after a reboot - it's gone now, cannot see it anymore.

• In Device Manager, expanded IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. But the only thing here is
      Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI controller. There is nothing else there - no ATA Channel 0 or ATA Channel 1 (things that have been suggested to be deleted on other posts regarding this issue). So I uninstalled
      the SATA AHCI controller and rebooted. It just reinstalled it automatically. But no CD/DVD drive yet.

• In Device Manager, scanned for new hardware.

• And yes, I already ran the Hardware Troubleshooter.

I've gotten these above steps from the following posts:

Those helped a lot of people (try those first if you are having the same issue). But as you can guess none of those steps helped me, hence creation of this post.

TousifSaleh, Mar 22, 2019
  4. DVD drive intermittently detected

CD/DVD drive (EDVD drive intermittently detected :) will not open, it is detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to update the drivers for CD/DVD drive by following the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Press Windows key + R and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    • Right click on the driver and select update driver software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts and to update the driver.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

DVD drive intermittently detected

1. DVD drive intermittently detected - Similar Threads - DVD drive intermittently

2. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dvd drive not detected in windows 10: Windows 10 does not detect my dvd driveThe windows xp hdd still does detects it, even with no cd insertedAre there any ways to make the dvd drive show upNo, its also not showing up in device propertiesDESKTOP: hp compaq 6200 pro microtower...
  3. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dvd drive not detected in windows 10: Windows 10 does not detect my dvd driveThe windows xp hdd still does detects it, even with no cd insertedAre there any ways to make the dvd drive show upNo, its also not showing up in device propertiesDESKTOP: hp compaq 6200 pro microtower...
  4. Dvd drive not detected in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Intermittent clicking; could it be the DVD drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent clicking; could it be the DVD drive?: My laptop makes an intermittent clicking when booting up and occasionally while running. Since it's fitted with an SSD no moving parts I'm assuming that the only other moving parts would be the cooling fan and/or the DVD drive. This clicking doesn't sound like it would be the...
  6. Intermittent clicking; could it be the DVD drive?

Intermittent clicking; could it be the DVD drive?: My laptop makes an intermittent clicking when booting up and occasionally while running. Since it's fitted with an SSD no moving parts I'm assuming that the only other moving parts would be the cooling fan and/or the DVD drive. This clicking doesn't sound like it would be the...
  7. Intermittent clicking; could it be the DVD drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent Hard Drive Detection Problem: After full install of Windows 10 pro two of six internal hard drives slip out of detection removing access to data. Manual rescanning of the device manager brings them back temporarily. System is i5 on Intel DZ77GA 70k , which ran on windows 7 for more than 5 years with no...
  9. DVD RW Drive not detecting inserted DVD

DVD RW Drive not detecting inserted DVD: This is going to be a long story:- My Lenovo G50-80 laptop's DVD drive started behaving funny all of a sudden. It would have trouble recognizing inserted DVD drive, some disks it could read easily, some it wont even recognize inserted. I tried spinning the disk then...
  10. CD/DVD Drives Not Detected

CD/DVD Drives Not Detected: I've had this same issue on 3 computers I've upgraded to Windows 10 (which are the only three I've even needed to have a working disc drive on). Windows 10 will not show the disc drives anywhere. I've checked in the Device Manager and everywhere else I can look, but they...