Windows 10: DVD drive missing from File Explorer

Discus and support DVD drive missing from File Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WilliamMoberg1, Mar 6, 2020.

1. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button and the drive D: disappeared from the drive list. Device Manager shows the drive present and operating correctly with no error symbol. I can read the media when loaded into the drive, so It seems to be working properly, just missing from the File Explorer. The drive is not shown in the Boot menu in the BIOS. I tried uninstalling the driver with no effect. Can I just reassign the drive letter in Disk Management to D: ?

:)

WilliamMoberg1, Mar 6, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

Bree, Mar 6, 2020
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    DVD drive missing

So when you open your file explorer just where are you looking for your DVD drive ?? It only shows in one place....unless its in use.... I would love for you to post a screen shot of where you are looking.
    When I 1st open up my file explorer it only lists my hard drives ....no dvd drive shows, this is normal. (unless its IN USE) But if you move up to THIS PC at the very top your DVD drive should be listed.

2nd way to check is to download the free program Speccy and install it, then look under the optical drives option, it should show your DVD drive listed. If it does ....your dvd drive is working as it should. Here is a link for Speccy to download.
    Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!

OldMike65, Mar 6, 2020
  4. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

DVD Drive repeatedly missing

Thanks for your suggestions.

My PC is ASROCK ACPI X64 and the DVD drive is optiarc DVD RW AD 5240S.

I have tried all your methods from 1 to 3 but none solved the problem.

Method 1 Step 5

Run as administrator not available

Method 2 Step C

Expand DVD/CD rom drives Not visable

Method 3 Step 3

Corrupted files found but not all fixed

All updates have been installed.

Any new suggestions?

Regards:

David Massey 175, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

DVD drive missing from File Explorer

1. DVD drive missing from File Explorer - Similar Threads - DVD drive missing

2. Missing DVD Drive:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing DVD Drive:: I recently had my computer upgraded with new hardware, including motherboard, etc. Today I found that my DVD drive is not working. It's been several months since the upgrade so I thought I would try this on my own. I Googled a remedy and in the process, following...
  3. Tabs missing from Drive properties in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tabs missing from Drive properties in File Explorer: in this pc my driver haven't the capacity details and in peroperties aren't the former tabs.i attach the picture. please help me fix this [ATTACH] ***Original title: deappearing driver peroperties***...
  4. DVD drive missing from File Explorer, only appears as hidden device in Device Manager

DVD drive missing from File Explorer, only appears as hidden device in Device Manager: My SATA DVD drive can't be used because it's missing from File Explorer, and only appears as a hidden device in Device Manager. The device works because apps like memtest that run from the dvd at bootup work fine without starting windows. I've tried the five methods for...
  5. CD drive missing from File Explorer

CD drive missing from File Explorer: I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected. Under view options, the box is...
  6. Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane

Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane: Hello, As shown below there are 2 drives missing from the Navigation Pane (vertical bar on the left of the File Explorer). How do I show them up there? Thanks in advance. [img] 31049
  7. DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC': I have searched for two days and tried everything that google served up to try to get this drive to show up. I think it dates back to when I did the Windows 10 upgrade but not sure, I hardly ever used the DVD writer, even before that, so this may have been missing since that...
  8. CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.

CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.: Hi, title says it all. I'm having problems with my computer CD/DvD drive where its not shown in File Explorer As (D: ) or even shown in Device Manager. I have tried inserting a disk and ejecting it out and it works fine. However the drive is just missing from the computer....
  9. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: I hardly ever use it, so hadn't noticed until today that my DVD drive has disappeared from Device Manager (no DVD-CD ROMs appear there at all) and I cannot use CDs/DVDs in my PC. I strongly suspect Windows 10 as the culprit. I upgraded from W7 early August. However, I can't...
  10. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: Had NUMEROUS problems with Windows 10 and ran the reset program to reinstall Windows 10. Now, my DVD drive is shown in device manager but not in file manager so I cannot load all my software from disk. How do I get the DVD drive back so I can reloading TurboTax and other...