Windows 10: DVD drive missing

Discus and support DVD drive missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ran all 3 updates from the Dell web site with no improvement. File Explorer still not recognizing the DVD/CD. It was there for a short time after I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by little2late0, May 11, 2016.

1. OldMike65 Win User

DVD drive missing

You could have a defective drive too, or a bad connection on your DVD drive ....cable....

OldMike65, May 11, 2016

2. Drive works fine and cables are fine. It's Windows 10 causing my problems and nobody seems to be able to figure out a solution. But, I did trick my PC into allowing access to the CD/DVD drive. I went into Dell's website and got into my acct and ran their diagnostics against my, so far, "invisible" drive. While running diagnostics, it said "load data disk for testing" or something like that. I loaded an empty CD. The diagnostics ran and, when finished, said it was working fine. Went into File Explorer and there it was: CD/DVD drive K: with my data disk in it. So I clicked on "Eject" and when the drive opened, I replaced the data disk with the disk for TurboTax 2015 and then cancelled the test. Went into File Explorer and ran Setup for TurboTax 2015. Worked great. Repeated these steps until I had finished loading all my applications on CDs. When I exited File Explorer, the K: drive was still there. When I ran File Explorer again a few minutes later, it was gone again as I explained in my original post above.

Yeah, it's a workaround but until some brainiac tells me the solution it's what I'll use when I have another app on CD to load.

little2late0, May 13, 2016
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    So when you open your file explorer just where are you looking for your DVD drive ?? It only shows in one place....unless its in use.... I would love for you to post a screen shot of where you are looking.
    When I 1st open up my file explorer it only lists my hard drives ....no dvd drive shows, this is normal. (unless its IN USE) But if you move up to THIS PC at the very top your DVD drive should be listed.

2nd way to check is to download the free program Speccy and install it, then look under the optical drives option, it should show your DVD drive listed. If it does ....your dvd drive is working as it should. Here is a link for Speccy to download.
    Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

DVD drive missing

dalchina, May 13, 2016
  5. Tried that 3 times. Didn't work at all.

6. OldMike65 Win User
    @little2late0 Did you try downloading Speecy with the link I gave you, and check your DVD drive in their....?? MSG#16

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you have sthg more basic wrong then. I've just found doing that reinstates autoplay on DVD drives... which had disappeared. I had got it working with a tiny script to poll the drive. Now I don't need the script... fortuitous.

dalchina, May 13, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

DVD drive missing

That commands is for a atapi driver thou ....what if his is different? I am still waiting for him to answer my questions ....

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Love for him to post a screenshot of his File Explorer ....showing what THIS PC shows ...

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  10. Here you go (if this works). The last time I tried this I "pinned" the cd/dvd drive to Quick Access and you can see it now at the top but it's still not listed under This PC.

DVD drive missing [​IMG]

11. OldMike65 Win User
    That's what I thought ....you are only showing the sub folders of Quick Access <----- Not showing the sub folders of This PC
    DVD drives and any hard drives do NOT show up under your Quick Access folder ....
    You need to click on your This PC folder ....and then take your screenshot of what displays in your This PC folder ...

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Here is my screenshot of This PC

DVD drive missing [​IMG]

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

DVD drive missing

Well the outdoors is calling me ....have chores to do ....be back later ....Mike. *Smile

OldMike65, May 13, 2016
  14. Mike, I right clicked on This PC and then selected "Open in new window" and there it was on the right along with all my other drives. Thanks a million!

Jim

15. OldMike65 Win User
    Your Welcome Jim ...I've been trying to tell you that for 2 days ...lol Glad you found it Jim!!!!! *Thumbs*Thumbs

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DVD drive missing

1. DVD drive missing - Similar Threads - DVD drive missing

2. DVD/CD drive missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  3. Missing DVD Drive:

Missing DVD Drive:: I recently had my computer upgraded with new hardware, including motherboard, etc. Today I found that my DVD drive is not working. It's been several months since the upgrade so I thought I would try this on my own. I Googled a remedy and in the process, following...
  4. Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING: Please remember my DVD drive is INTERNAL SATA connected. When I disabled my internal DVD drive and shut off or restart my laptop computer, my DVD drive couldn't get enabled again. While it shows up as a hidden device in the device manager, there's no option to enable it....
  5. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

DVD drive missing from File Explorer: After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button and the drive D: disappeared from the drive list. Device Manager shows the drive present and operating correctly with no error...
  6. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing: When my laptop was purchased it was already Windows 10 and came with a cd/dvd drive. I never had a problem with it until today when I tried to burn a cd. When I put the cd in it just spins and I am unable to locate the drive in windows explorer. Would an update remove any...
  7. Missing DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DVD: After Window10 update my HP All IN One DVD-ROM drive is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-dvd/20e1b580-1d71-4c41-b562-b4272da7c250
  8. DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC': I have searched for two days and tried everything that google served up to try to get this drive to show up. I think it dates back to when I did the Windows 10 upgrade but not sure, I hardly ever used the DVD writer, even before that, so this may have been missing since that...
  9. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: I hardly ever use it, so hadn't noticed until today that my DVD drive has disappeared from Device Manager (no DVD-CD ROMs appear there at all) and I cannot use CDs/DVDs in my PC. I strongly suspect Windows 10 as the culprit. I upgraded from W7 early August. However, I can't...
  10. DVD Drive all of a sudden missing

DVD Drive all of a sudden missing: So according to my bios the dvd drive is there but as soon as Windows 10 boot its not listen anywhere. Anyone else had this issue? 4692