Windows 10: DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update

Discus and support DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After installing the 20H2 update, I am no longer able to burn DVDs, as Blank disks aren't recognized. Looking at the Properties for the DVD drive in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by srbutler, Jan 10, 2021.

1. srbutler Win User

DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update

After installing the 20H2 update, I am no longer able to burn DVDs, as Blank disks aren't recognized. Looking at the Properties for the DVD drive in Device Manager, under Events, I can see:

Device IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH22NS50________________TN03____\5&1042348c&0&1.0.0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\CdRom&Ven_Msft&Prod_Virtual_DVD-ROM\2&1f4adffe&0&000014

Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000F800FFFFF120

Present: false

I have tried:

- Uninstalling the DVD drive.
    - Upgrading the drivers for the DVD drive Windows doesn't find any.

- Upgrading the BIOS on the PC.

- Upgrading the Motherboard Chipset drivers.

- Upgrading the Firmware for the DVD Drive.

- Running "sfc /scannow" no problems detected.

- In this PC, the DVD Drive detects and reads burnt DVDs.

- In this PC, the DVD Drive detects and reads burnt CDs, and detects and burns Blank CDs.

- If I put the DVD DRive in another Windows 10 PC version 1909 it detects and burns blank DVDs.

Without rolling back Windows 10, how do I get the DVD drive to recognise Blank DVDs, and burn data to them?

Cheers, Simon.

:)

srbutler, Jan 10, 2021

2. Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

After the latest Windows 10 update: July 12, 2016 — KB3172985 (OS Build 10586.494)

Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

JohnHambleton, Jan 10, 2021
  3. The DVD drive was not showing not recognised.

Thanks for info.

i have followed steps but still not working.

the DVDs/cd drive is shown in file manager and it shows it to be working correctly but when a cd/ dvd disc is inserted it is still not recognised.

If if I double click on the drive in file manager the disc is ejected and I am asked to insert a disc.

Any further suggestions?

regards

johnwbeasley, Jan 10, 2021
  4. jedzi Win User

Blank DVDs not Recognised

I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer (my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for a couple of years).

I am using a new USB external DVD writer. My laptop recognises the DVD writer in Device manager and Disk manager. However, it doesn't show-up as a DVD in Windows Explorer or Imgburn. A few details:

I am using Verbatim DVD -Rs, bought 5 years ago. I've got about 10 left on the spindle. I've not had problems with them before. I have tried using several different DVDs from the spindle. Other things I've tried:

• I can play a pre-recorded DVD (ie a movie) without a problem.
    • Windows is up to date.
    • I've tried changing the drive letter.
    • Using an old DVD writer - I get the same problem.
    • I've uninstalled & reinstalled the DVD writer from within Device Manager a couple of times - no difference
    • I've tried editing the registry as per various support articles. However, I can't see the Upper / Lower Registry limits that some support articles mention.
    • I tried it on another laptop and I get exactly the same problem.
    • A DVD that I recorded myself a couple of years ago shows up fine.

As I've tried all the normal troubleshooting things and also tried it on different laptops and DVD writers, I've come to the conclusion that the most likely culprit is the DVDs. Is that likely?

jedzi, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

1. DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update - Similar Threads - DVD Drive recognising

2. CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs: Can anyone help end my frustration?I recently started ripping my CD collection to FLAC on an external drive, using Windows Media Player, going from ABBA to Zydeco. I got as far as the letter G and tried the Gorillaz CD which turned out to be an enhanced CD which I couldn't...
  3. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  4. Blank DVDs not Recognised

Blank DVDs not Recognised: I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for a couple of years. I am using a new USB external DVD writer. My laptop recognises the DVD writer in Device manager and...
  5. CD/DVD drive is not recognising

CD/DVD drive is not recognising: cod/dvd rom was not visible in my laptop. when i checked for it, an error code 45 occurred. acoording to microsoft to solve it, i had to uninstall the drives and after restarting the laptop a message should have popped to install it again. but it didn't. now i don't know how...
  6. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  7. DVD Drive - Prerecorded DVDs not recognized

DVD Drive - Prerecorded DVDs not recognized: Using WIN 10 Pro v1803 DVD drive recognizes recorded DVDs. DVD drive no longer recognizes Commercial DVDs are in drive. In Device Manager, I uninstalled drive and rebooted....
  8. DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs

DVD Drive is not Playing video DVDs: In my DVD Drive any of my Video DVDs are not playing. Audio CDs are well supported and playing well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-drive-is-not-playing-video-dvds/f73f1712-0de8-430d-96a5-5c72206c6f4e
  9. DVD drive won't burn DVDs in Windows 10

DVD drive won't burn DVDs in Windows 10: PC is on Windows 10 1803 64 bit - it has an inbuilt DVD drive and I've recently bought an external USB DVD drive. The update to 1803 build took several attempts this summer. The new external drive is recognised by Windows, but no discs (e.g. commercial music CDs, or new...
  10. dvd drive isn't recognised after windows 10 upgrade

dvd drive isn't recognised after windows 10 upgrade: My dvd player drive isn't listed and when you try and play a dvd the player spins but doesn't play anything since upgrading to windows 10. I have checked in device manager and it says device is working properly. I have also done the upgrade driver and it says I have the...