Windows 10: DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid

Discus and support DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, after an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the DVD drive is not working. Error message D:\ The directory file is invalid. Drive has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BerndU26180, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid

Hello,

after an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the DVD drive is not working. Error message D:\ The directory file is invalid.

Drive has been replaced twice since the update to Windows 10 last week, to no avail.

All DVDs, CDs are working fine on any other computer/notebook/other devices...

Please help

:)

BerndU26180, Nov 13, 2020

2. DVD drive reports E:/ Directory name is invalid

Hi All,

After doing a clean install on my PC of Windows 10 whenever I insert a disc in my DVD drive (Drive EDVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid :) I get the error message Directory name is invalid. Device Manager reports that the device is installed (LG BD-RE BH10LS30) and working properly. An attempt
    to update the driver returns the message The latest driver for your device is already installed. If I click on the drive when it is empty it says "Please insert a disc in drive E:" When I do this it shows the disc as a rewritable DVD whether it's a .cda audio
    disc, bluRay DVD or anything else. I took advantage of this and burned some files to a rewritable DVD. Whenever I insert this disk it is immediately recognised and I can open the disc and view all the files on it. Anything else it just says E:/ Directory name
    is invalid. I have the same problem on my laptop although I have not yet done a clean install here but just installed the free download for Windows 10.

PC = Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H and Intel core i7 4770 with 8 GB of 1600 MHz RAM. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

richo

Richard Hunt, Nov 13, 2020
  3. "The directory name is invalid" DVD

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To better understand the issue please let us know if you are
    facing this issue while opening media file or programs from DVD.

Meanwhile I would suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided by
    Richard Hunt which resembles a similar issue in the link below and see if it helps:

DVD drive reports E:/ Directory name is invalid

I would also suggest you to refer to this KB article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

Registry disclaimer:

This section, method, or task contains steps that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For steps to back up your registry, please click the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance

Deepak Krishnan R, Nov 13, 2020
  4. kdmart8 Win User

DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid

Windows 10 does recongnize my DVD drive: directory invalid

I just upgraded to windows 10 from 7 a couple of weeks ago. Things were great until I tried to install a game. I put the DVD in the drive and got the following error.
    D:\ The directory name is invalid.

I can see the DVD drive in explorer and it is labeled D:

When I clicked on the DVD drive to see the files all the showed up was "desktop" with a type of configuration setting. I'm not sure the software even recognized the DVD. Usually it show up with the title.

I tried a music CD and got the exact same error message.

kdmart8, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid

1. DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid - Similar Threads - DVD drive working

2. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd: how do fix i the directory name is invalid for DVD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-fix-i-the-directory-name-is-invalid-for-dvd/2dfdfbdc-7d24-4602-9547-df570057a853
  3. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd: how do fix i the directory name is invalid for DVD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-fix-i-the-directory-name-is-invalid-for-dvd/2dfdfbdc-7d24-4602-9547-df570057a853
  4. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid": Hi MS communityI've been having a problem with CDs tonight and it has driven up the wall! Every time I insert a CD into any of the 3 computers that run Windows 10 in my house they all come back with the same error that the directory is invalid. These are brand new never...
  6. Directory is INVALID

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory is INVALID: I have got excel, access and tableau files on my desktop and whenever I am double-clicking them I am getting message Directory is invalid. When I try opening it using right click it is getting open. Also when I am reaching file through users... same path it is getting...
  7. The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If after a clean install of Windows 10 or even upgrading to a newer version of Windows 10 and you encounter error message The directory […] This article The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. dvd drive stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

dvd drive stopped working after windows 10 upgrade: dvd drive stopped working after windows 10 upgrade I have found a fix finally after pulling all my hair out lol woooo. I tried every thing uninstalled drivers after drivers and messed with reg folder and got no where. will be back when I find the sight I was on and let you...
  9. Windows 10 does recongnize my DVD drive: directory invalid

Windows 10 does recongnize my DVD drive: directory invalid: I just upgraded to windows 10 from 7 a couple of weeks ago. Things were great until I tried to install a game. I put the DVD in the drive and got the following error. D:\ The directory name is invalid. I can see the DVD drive in explorer and it is labeled D: When I...
  10. Windows 10 and DVD directories

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and DVD directories: I have an issue I can't seem to find decent info about. My Win 10 laptop won't see files and folders on DVDs I burned on another box unless I make an ISO on the Win 7 machine first, and then copy it over to the Win 10 machine and "mount" the ISO. I even tried creating an...