Windows 10: DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?

Discus and support DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop. When I insert a "new" DVD, then try to open it, I get message: "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:\.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rockydean, Jan 11, 2020.

1. rockydean Win User

DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop. When I insert a "new" DVD, then try to open it, I get message:

"Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:\. Make sure the disk uses a format the windows recognizes. If the disk is unformatted, you need to format it before using it".

I have tried 3 different types of CD/DVD media: a HP CD-R, a Memorex DVD+R, and a Staples DVD+R. Same problem with each one. These are all "new" DVD's have never been used before, so they should not need formatting.

Also, when I open the DVD, there is not an option to format the DVD. So how do I format it ?

I have a "used" HP CD-R that contains some information I saved to it at one time when I did not have this problem. When I insert that CD, I can open it and look at the information on it without any problem.

I checked to make sure the DVD driver is up to date.

Any idea if this is a hardware problem, or a software problem ? What should I try to fix it ?

thank you

:)

rockydean, Jan 11, 2020
  2. C_C
    c_C Win User

DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

3. Bree Win User
    Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

4. IT101 Win User

IT101, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

1. DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software? - Similar Threads - DVD Drive Problem

2. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  3. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  4. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DVD drive will not read my software DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD drive will not read my software DVD: I have upgraded my hardware and my TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-233C players will not read my software disc. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both drives, but this has not worked. I have tried installing new drivers and this has not worked This is what the event manager is...
  6. DVD drive problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive problems: Neither the internal nor an external USB DVD drive are able to be accessed Toshiba satellite 55 laptop. Device Manager states; "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. Code 19". "This PC" APP...
  7. DVD Drive problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD Drive problem: Upgraded from 7 to 10 years ago. Had a virus and had to wipe and reinstall from download. DVD drive is visible but will not read https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-problem/210cbbdf-22cd-42b2-974a-4d924c1d20a1
  8. Multiple hardware/software problems

Multiple hardware/software problems: I'm having multiple hardware a software problems now including: One of my 3.0 drives disconnecting and reconnecting. Morse beeps and different volumes. Sudden lag spikes. Broken copy and pasting. Overheating problems My computer charger and battery has recently been...
  9. Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...

Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...: When starting my laptop the screen goes black before it finishes loading, unless I unplug the power source, then it comes back on. Plug it in and it goes out, unplug and it comes back on. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? It is an older Lenovo laptop, probably...
  10. DVD Drive Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Drive Problem: I have an external DVD drive connected via USB. I burned 3 DVDs successfully, but when I try to open the third one it says files waiting to be burned to disc but only shows a desktop.ini file instead of the 8 videos I burned. Does anyone know how to fix this? 103104