Windows 10: DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's

Discus and support DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a problem with my DVD/CD internal optical drive. It can read, write and play self made CD and DVD’s, burn music and DVD files to disc. It will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tonisb, Nov 28, 2018.

1. tonisb Win User

DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's

I have a problem with my DVD/CD internal optical drive. It can read, write and play self made CD and DVD’s, burn music and DVD files to disc. It will read and play some older store bought DVD’s but will not read and play any of my newly store purchased DVD’s. The drive clicks, whirrs and tries very hard to load but eventually gives up. During this time any media player app becomes unresponsive and I have to “end task” in Task Manager. I have tried the same DVD’s on my husband’s and another computer (new at work) and they load and play fine. This is the first time I have tried to play a new DVD in this computer since the windows 10 upgrade.

I have an HP Probook 4520s

Windows 7 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) x64-based processor

Windows version 1803 OS Build 17134.407

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz

Latest update 2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x86-based Systems (KB4467682)

My region code is set correctly and all devices are “working properly” and no hardware changes have taken place.

Info from Device Manager (showing hidden devices):

Hard Drive: HITACHI HTS725025A9A 364 Version: 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild 160101.0800)

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(R) 5 series 6 port SATA ACHI Controller Driver Date 3/3/2010 Ver. 9.6.01014

DVD/CD-ROM drives: hp CDDVDW TS-L633N Version: 10.0.17134.137 dated 6/21/2006. Cannot find update online.

Info from Disk Management:

CD-ROM 0 DVD (EDVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's :) Showing when not in use and with older CD/DVD’s information when inserted but not recognised when new DVD inserted.

I have Windows Media Player (default), Ashampoo Burning Studio 2018 and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum installed.

I have already tried the following advice given on various websites for a DVD drive not being recognised:

Checked for driver updates, uninstalled and re-installed every driver I thought might be related.

Located HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} no Upper Filters found, deleted Lower filters.

Checked : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi Registry subkey already set to Controller0, DWORD(32-bit) Value, EnumDevice1, Type 1

Tried Windows DVD Player App (Trial Version)

Downloaded and installed VLC Player, Handbrake (with downloaded libdvdcss-2.dll file added to directory) and

VideoProc Version 3.0 from Digiarty software (Giveaway version)

Downloaded K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1455_Mega.exe which installed Media Player Classic.

No option to expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers beyond Intel(R) 5 series 6 port SATA ACHI Controller therefore cannot uninstall as advised below.

1. Expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers, and then:
      • Select and right-click ATA Channel 0, and then click Uninstall
      • Select and right-click ATA Channel 1, and then click Uninstall
      • Select and right-click Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, and then click Uninstall
      • If there are additional entries, right-click them and then choose Uninstall
    2. Reboot the device.

I am not sure now if I have overdone things and totally confused my system or what I can try next. I have too much to lose by completely reinstalling windows 10 and many have said this did not help them.

Any further advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

:)

tonisb, Nov 28, 2018

2. Windows DVD Player installed in Windows 10 but not recognizing DVD to play

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The DVD Player app only supports the following:

a. DVDs from a file backup is not supported, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

b. The App will only play DVD's not Blu-ray discs.

If you satisfy both the categories, I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Update DVD/CD-ROM drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Nov 28, 2018
  3. yakeater Win User
    windows dvd player will not play DVD's

Bought a new computer with widows 10. Then bought the Windows DVD app at the Microsoft Store.

It will not play DVDs - Does anyone have a clue about making it work ? I don't. Please help

yakeater, Nov 28, 2018
  4. DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's

Windows DVD Player from App Store Not Playing U.S. Standard DVD's

So I read that upgrading from Window 7 to Windows 10 strips a bunch of CODEC's that Windows Media Player use to have. From what I understand this has to be purchased now in the Windows Apps Store for ~ USD 15. So I went ahead and did it and the app still
    does not play DVD's. Here are my steps and errors:

• Load my DVD (original DVD, not copied) into my DVD tray
    • Double click on This PC
    • Find my DVD drive and right click on it, select Auto Play
    • Select Windows DVD Player (the one I purchased for $15 from the app store)
    • DVD Player App launches and errors out with: "Error: Video could not be decoded"
    This is not display driver issue because VLC Player works just fine (the audio codec's don't work correct though).

• If this App is simply too buggy, can someone tell me how to get a refund?
    I tried going to: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHelpReturnsRefundsPage and clicking on

• If you’d like to return your purchase made in the last thirty days without any hassles, you can initiate this yourself in your order
      history
    But the page simply crashes. Any help would be appreciated.

chiques8675309, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's

1. DVD DRIVE WORKS BUT WILL NOT PLAY NEW STORE BOUGHT DVD's - Similar Threads - DVD DRIVE WORKS

2. DVD drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive not working: When I insert a DVD in the drive, nothing happens. When I double-click the DVD drive icon and insert a disk, the little circle spins until I close the window.On startup, the DVD drive appears in BIOS.The DVD drive also appears in Device Manager. I uninstalled it and Windows...
  3. DVD drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive not working: When I insert a DVD in the drive, nothing happens. When I double-click the DVD drive icon and insert a disk, the little circle spins until I close the window.On startup, the DVD drive appears in BIOS.The DVD drive also appears in Device Manager. I uninstalled it and Windows...
  4. DVD drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  6. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  7. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. DVD DRIVE NOT WORKING

DVD DRIVE NOT WORKING: The drivers from intelr 6th gen core dont let my drive open or work try to uninstall to no affect tried to update driver no affect reset computer no affect tried to uninstall driver no effect tried to uninstall dvd drive this re installs ok using the pld dvd rw...
  9. DVD drive not working

DVD drive not working: Hi I upgraded to Windows 10 and its been nothing but problems with screen going black and then when trying to reboot with dvd found drive not working, my drive is an Optiac dvd RW AD-7261s. The drive appears in device manager but in properties under event it say that drive...
  10. DVD will not play

DVD will not play: I have an ASUS 501ux laptop with Windows 10. It doesn't have an internal DVD player. I purchased an external USB3 DVD drive but the laptop needs something to play the DVD. It won't open the DVD. What do I need? 51767

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when pluggin in dvd disc dvd is not playing the video and and store i sopening

2. KB4467682 is buggy