Windows 10: DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

Discus and support DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey all, So! I recently installed Win10 ( clean 1903 - up to date ) on my Photoshop workstation. I wanted to dual boot with Win7 on a separate disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by farrellart, Jun 13, 2019.

1. DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

Hey all,

So! I recently installed Win10 ( clean 1903 - up to date ) on my Photoshop workstation. I wanted to dual boot with Win7 on a separate disk and set it up with the help of you guys - that's all fine.

What I noticed this afternoon was my DVD R/W drive was not working properly TSST SH-S183L, it's in the Device Manager and says it's working, but, it won't read anything other than Music CD's - A bit weird. I shut the system down, checked cables which were all fine and rebooted......same result.

Here's another wierd thing, I tried the drive in my dual boot Win7 O/S and the same thing is happening. OK it could be a failing drive - swapped that out and the other DVD drive is the same - no DVD reads or writes to DVDr, no acknowledgement there is a dvd film in the drive or software dvd in Win7 or Win10.

The DVD drive shows up in the BIOS ( P9x79pro ) too but my boot disks won't load either when I select the dvd as boot drive. I was going to update the bios, but, I won't until I get this fixed, as it was working yesterday.

I have tried both DVD drives in an old PC ( Vista....eeek ) and they were fine. So that would suggest this issue is related to the Win7/Win10 PC.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Chris

:)

farrellart, Jun 13, 2019
  2. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

I tried steps 1 through 5 listed in this article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-program

The DVD R/W drive is in a Dell XPS 8300 PC and this morning I ran Dell Support Assist.

The built in drive self test passed as well as the CD Rom test. Could not complete the DVD tests because it doesn't recognize that I inserted a DVD.

RMS_123, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Chilady Win User
    No DVD-R drive in device manager or This PC after upgrading to Windows

Hi,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and since that time I don't have a DVD – R drive. I still have my DVD – RW, but the other drive is missing from the device manager and the computer list. What happened to it? What steps can I take to recover it.

Thank You!

Chilady, Jun 13, 2019
  4. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

Until recently my TSST Corp DVD+-RW SH-216AB worked perfectly. All of a sudden it just sees CDs and not DVDs. It was working long after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Now when I insert a CD it identifies the CD, lists all files and I can open and play music files. When I insert a DVD, the drive attempts to read it, stops and opens the tray with the message "Insert a disk".

It appears and identified correctly in Device Manager and it says that it is working properly.

The driver version is 10.0.16249.15 dated 6/21/2006 (WinBuild 160101.0800).

Driver files details C:\\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

Details

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216AB

Property

Device description

Value

CD-ROM drive

I have tried all the various fixes recommended by Microsoft to no avail.

Has the problem been caused after a Windows update or did the DVD part of the drive failed?

RMS_123, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

1. DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's - Similar Threads - DVD drive Device

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager: External USB CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager or file explorer. All other USB devices work correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive-not-appearing-in-device-manager/f6ef9a8e-fc9d-4952-994f-8c96f04105ad
  6. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager: External USB CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager or file explorer. All other USB devices work correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive-not-appearing-in-device-manager/f6ef9a8e-fc9d-4952-994f-8c96f04105ad
  7. CD/DVD drive not appearing in device manager

8. DVD R/W

DVD R/W: Can a DVD R/W disk be converted from UDT to NTFS? I wish to create a system image but all the disks are UDT! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw/0aec9cf7-c75a-4efc-8bdd-753eea3f62aa
  9. CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager

CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager: Hi all, Im all out of options, hope someone can help! Hopefully you can see the laptop details as I just entered them when signing up, if not just ask. CD DVD drive has diappeared from explorer and device manager. Its still listed in BIOS as a boot device (though just...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...