Windows 10: DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

Discus and support DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey all, So! I recently installed Win10 ( clean 1903 - up to date ) on my Photoshop workstation. I wanted to dual boot with Win7 on a separate disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by farrellart, Jun 13, 2019.

1. DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

Hey all,

So! I recently installed Win10 ( clean 1903 - up to date ) on my Photoshop workstation. I wanted to dual boot with Win7 on a separate disk and set it up with the help of you guys - that's all fine.

What I noticed this afternoon was my DVD R/W drive was not working properly TSST SH-S183L, it's in the Device Manager and says it's working, but, it won't read anything other than Music CD's - A bit weird. I shut the system down, checked cables which were all fine and rebooted......same result.

Here's another wierd thing, I tried the drive in my dual boot Win7 O/S and the same thing is happening. OK it could be a failing drive - swapped that out and the other DVD drive is the same - no DVD reads or writes to DVDr, no acknowledgement there is a dvd film in the drive or software dvd in Win7 or Win10.

The DVD drive shows up in the BIOS ( P9x79pro ) too but my boot disks won't load either when I select the dvd as boot drive. I was going to update the bios, but, I won't until I get this fixed, as it was working yesterday.

I have tried both DVD drives in an old PC ( Vista....eeek ) and they were fine. So that would suggest this issue is related to the Win7/Win10 PC.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Chris

:)

farrellart, Jun 13, 2019
  2. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

I tried steps 1 through 5 listed in this article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-program

The DVD R/W drive is in a Dell XPS 8300 PC and this morning I ran Dell Support Assist.

The built in drive self test passed as well as the CD Rom test. Could not complete the DVD tests because it doesn't recognize that I inserted a DVD.

RMS_123, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Chilady Win User
    No DVD-R drive in device manager or This PC after upgrading to Windows

Hi,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and since that time I don't have a DVD – R drive. I still have my DVD – RW, but the other drive is missing from the device manager and the computer list. What happened to it? What steps can I take to recover it.

Thank You!

Chilady, Jun 13, 2019
  4. RMS_123 Win User

DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

DVD R/W drive only reads data and music CDs and not DVDs

Until recently my TSST Corp DVD+-RW SH-216AB worked perfectly. All of a sudden it just sees CDs and not DVDs. It was working long after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Now when I insert a CD it identifies the CD, lists all files and I can open and play music files. When I insert a DVD, the drive attempts to read it, stops and opens the tray with the message "Insert a disk".

It appears and identified correctly in Device Manager and it says that it is working properly.

The driver version is 10.0.16249.15 dated 6/21/2006 (WinBuild 160101.0800).

Driver files details C:\\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

Details

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216AB

Property

Device description

Value

CD-ROM drive

I have tried all the various fixes recommended by Microsoft to no avail.

Has the problem been caused after a Windows update or did the DVD part of the drive failed?

RMS_123, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

1. DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's - Similar Threads - DVD drive Device

2. Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update: Anybody had this issue recently AFTER LATEST UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-and-cd-drive-missing-in-device-manager-after/de93bf81-b4ca-4eb1-9b3e-8e9e5a5a26ab
  3. DVD R/W

DVD R/W: Can a DVD R/W disk be converted from UDT to NTFS? I wish to create a system image but all the disks are UDT! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw/0aec9cf7-c75a-4efc-8bdd-753eea3f62aa
  4. My CD/DVD drive doesn't appear in the Device Manager

My CD/DVD drive doesn't appear in the Device Manager: Hello there, I Have a problem. Three days ago I inserted an DVD on my laptop. He didn't appear in File Explorer, so, I uninstalled the driver. The Driver name is MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1. I restarted my PC after uninstall, to reinstall the Driver. But, unfortunately, he...
  5. CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs

CD/DVD drive not reading DVDs: My CD/DVD drive cannot read/write to DVD, yet it reads and writes to CDs! The Device Manages shows that the drive is working normally, yet when I insert a DVD, I get the error message "no media"! I have tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it, but the fault...
  6. CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager

CD/DVD Drive not showing in device manager: Hi all, Im all out of options, hope someone can help! Hopefully you can see the laptop details as I just entered them when signing up, if not just ask. CD DVD drive has diappeared from explorer and device manager. Its still listed in BIOS as a boot device (though just...
  7. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...
  8. DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager

DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager: Hello everyone! I have googled this all over the place and there are all sorts of issues with DVD / CD-ROM players no longer being recognized but I haven't come across the same problem I'm having. I upgraded to Windows 10 64bit from Windows 7 64bit. One day while I was...
  9. CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.

CD/DVD Drive Missing in File Explorer And Device Manager.: Hi, title says it all. I'm having problems with my computer CD/DvD drive where its not shown in File Explorer As (D: ) or even shown in Device Manager. I have tried inserting a disk and ejecting it out and it works fine. However the drive is just missing from the computer....
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...