Windows 10: DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss

Discus and support DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi...Help...Please... My system is a Windows 10 Home Edition custom build with 8 core AMD, 12 GB of RAM, 64 bit Operating System and everything worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Innoccu35, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Innoccu35 Win User

DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss

Hi...Help...Please...

My system is a Windows 10 Home Edition custom build with 8 core AMD, 12 GB of RAM, 64 bit Operating System and everything worked great till I had to install a new hard drive. Moved from a 500GB drive to a 6TB drive - due to errors on the original drive - New fresh install of Windows 10 Home - got all my partitions going, Steam, Origin, and even Blackboard for my Masters Course-work - but when I plug in my DVD RW drive ( says it is an: ATAPI iHAS124), it installs as a CDrom, will not recognize any disc whether it is DVD or CD or Burnable - and tells me the system does not recognize my request. Now I'm tech savy but this is over my head. I have installed, uninstalled, updated, driver fixed, scanned, and even looked at code. I'm ready to take the drive out and use it as a freesbie but I need my RW to work!!!!! Please - any advice - I'm a (literally) poor college guy and need help.

Thanks in advance!!

MikeakaSmitty

:)

Innoccu35, Mar 4, 2019

2. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    External DVD/RW not recognized withWindows 10

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

This circumstance can occur if the device hardware fails or if the device driver fails.

I suggest you to uninstall the Universal Serial Bus Controller
    associated with the external DVD/RW (Cnm) and reinstall it from the manufacturer’s website and check if it helps.

To uninstall the drivers from device manager follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Find the Cnm DVD/RW drive.
    • Right click on the driver and select Uninstall.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Mar 4, 2019
  4. DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss

Can't Format Dvd-RW? (Windows 10)

Hi Hayden,

In order for us to properly address your issue with formatting a DVD-R/RW disc, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Are you getting any error messages when formatting a DVD-R/RW disc?If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • Have you tried formatting a DVD-R/RW disc to other DVD-R/RW drive?
    • Have you tried inserting other disc like DVD movies or mp3 disc to check if the DVD-R/RW drive is working?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss

1. DVD RW on Windows 10 installs as CDrom and I'm at a loss - Similar Threads - DVD installs CDrom

2. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  3. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  4. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Loss of CDROM drivers

Loss of CDROM drivers: My Acer E-5 571P has lost the use of the CDROM. There is no listing of it in the Device manager. There does not seem to be any drivers available on the Acer Support website either. Let's hear the fixes because there doesn't seem to be any in Windows. Have run the Hardware and...
  6. DVD RW not working

DVD RW not working: Hi, I am trying to install TurboCad using Windows 10 and the DVD RW is not reading the CD. Is there a solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-not-working/2bdada1c-8625-454c-b4e9-ae51417af83d
  7. DVD rw driver

DVD rw driver: Up probook didn't come with DVD rw drive I installed one where can I download driver free to get it to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-driver/11c50114-e703-483b-98bf-17d01d690dde
  8. DVD-RW drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD-RW drive: I have windows 10 pro and for some reason it will not recognize my DVD-RW drive now. it says code 45 hardware device is not connected. help how can I fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive/c1e425aa-bc0b-4a0a-8317-4f686d91a155
  9. DVD RW Driver

DVD RW Driver: DVD RW drive will not run PC games. Use to work fine but doesn't anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-rw-driver/aa124edb-8843-4b5f-839c-fa437502aede
  10. DVD-RW Drive

DVD-RW Drive: I burnt photos on the DVD-RW drive with a DVD-R disc, the photos are now blurred. Could it be because I used an R disc instead DVD-RW.? Trying to get to the bottom of the blurring problem, never had this before. 79294