Windows 10: DVD's / Optical media - time to call "Time" on them

Discus and support DVD's / Optical media - time to call "Time" on them in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks I've been digitising my old collection of DVD's -- I really do like to watch again some of the old stuff It's amazing though in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Feb 24, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

DVD's / Optical media - time to call "Time" on them

Hi folks

I've been digitising my old collection of DVD's -- I really do like to watch again some of the old stuff

It's amazing though in re-ripping that quite often on old DVD's I need to re-clean and "coax" the DVD reader to read the disc properly -- I've probably got about 7 in-readable DVD's -- so if you are still using old fashioned commercial DVD's - rip them to HDD fairly quickly otherwise they might not be readable in future !!!

As for home produced ones on things like DVD+R or DVD+RW media - chances are these might also become unreadable too - probably quicker than commercial DVD's.

It's about time now instead of DVD's etc being sold in physical formats why not allow people to download the ISO and then if they want they can create a physical disc if they want one. The Region coding these days is 100% irrelevant as you can play with VLC and it ignores the region thing totally anyway.

Also you can back up off line etc and it's a lot more portable having DVD's on a small WD portable HDD than carrying a load of DVD's around plus a player -- most modern computers don't even have DVD playes / writers any more.

Incidently to those who use things like NAS etc -- if your remote TV / amazon / Roku box can install KODI - it plays DVD's from iso images with all menus / subtitles etc anyway.

Also production of DVD's uses toxic heavy metals - bad for environment - so allowing download of iso is a win-win for everybody. I'd love to see this type of optical media phased out with say the next couple of years.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 24, 2018

2. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Feb 24, 2018
  3. moo09 Win User
    N79; can't run " home media " menu

I'm in Thailand . I just buy N79 , but I have found my phone can run " home media " menu. When I go to " home media " menu it's push back to "connectivity" menu .

When I go to Nokia Care center . They said All N79 was bug as this. Wait to upgrade firmware as now it's already new as 10.046

Please share information with me

moo09, Feb 24, 2018
  4. bobkn Win User

I don't recall the last time I bought a DVD.

It's all BluRay and UHD BluRay for me at the moment. At 50-66gB each, ripping them to local storage isn't attractive.

I'd guess that the future is streaming, but I have the impression that the technology isn't really there yet. In the USA, 25 Mbps is still considered broadband.

bobkn, Feb 24, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

cheap 4TB passport size self powered USB HDD's -- 50 GB say per blu ray approx. 100 blu DVD's so not hideously expensive to rip them -- for classical DVD 's (around 6 - 8 GB) well you do the maths. Those small pocket size self powered 4TB usb HDD's are brilliant. Small enough also to carry around in a pocket too --no power needed to use these -just plug into USB3 port on PC. Work also in USB2 --fine for streaming but obviously lower speed than USB3.

BTW Netflix works fine even if you have slowish speeds of 3 - 5 Mb/s -- of course here we're lucky probably having some of the fastest broad band on the planet ( currently advertised at 1.2 Gb/s).

My only problem with the streaming services is that you don't always know how long anything will remain available on line as these companies can't have infinite sized libraries so if something takes your fancy it's often a good idea to grab it to local storage for future viewing. Especially if it's something you might want to watch again long into the future.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 24, 2018
  6. bobkn Win User
    There's also the practical consideration: if I own the physical disk, I'm probably not going to re-watch it all that often. Ripping it to a drive seems a little pointless.

I also have zero interest in making a portable movie drive (60-80 movies on a 4TB drive) to carry around with me.

I've never had a Netflix subscription. (Even back in the old days, with the physical DVDs.) I understand that they don't require a tremendous bandwidth for 4k, but I presume there must be an image quality tradeoff in that. Probably OK; current UHD BDs must have an effective compression over 100:1, so what's a little more?

I'm not included in the 18% of the US population with access to gigabit Internet. It's still a fairly urban thing. (I live in a city of about 85k people, about 100km from Manhattan, NY city.) My ISP choices are TV cable, DSL, and satellite. (I have no idea how well the satellite thing works. It's supposed to be based on geosynchronous satellites; the latency must be at least 240 ms.)

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD's / Optical media - time to call "Time" on them - Similar Threads - DVD's Optical media

2. Media player shows no time lenght

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player shows no time lenght: When I try to record something with like OBS, the videos would not show the time duration of the video. I don't know what I can do, I can't even change the clip seconds....
  3. Media player shows no time lenght

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media player shows no time lenght: When I try to record something with like OBS, the videos would not show the time duration of the video. I don't know what I can do, I can't even change the clip seconds....
  4. Change time of Media created property?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change time of Media created property?: I want to change the time of the "Media created" property, but I can only change the date. How do I change the time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-time-of-media-created-property/22b59afd-7ef9-4448-aaa8-f8d61377e601
  5. Change time of Media created property?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change time of Media created property?: I want to change the time of the "Media created" property, but I can only change the date. How do I change the time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-time-of-media-created-property/22b59afd-7ef9-4448-aaa8-f8d61377e601
  6. Change time of Media created property?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. DVD Installation with no optic drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    DVD Installation with no optic drive: Hi, I accidentally purchased the DVD version of Windows 10 for a new pc build that doesn't have an optical drive. Is it possible to use a serial number or something on this DVD to transfer over to a USB version, or do I need to return the DVD and buy a new license entirely?...
  8. DVD Optical Drive discovered Dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Optical Drive discovered Dead: Hello All DVD Optical Drive on my Asus G11CD Desktop discovered dead, will not read any DVD discs, even commerical discs, what is the cheapest solution that is gonna work so i'll have optical drive if wanna use it? A. Swap out the drive with old AMD FX systems dvd writer, B....
  9. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD: I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading from 7 to 10 on my main computer. It seems that on my multiple computers with Windows 10, no movie DVD can...
  10. optical drive won't play dvd....

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    optical drive won't play dvd....: my laptop, widows 10, will not play my new dvd's. I'm very disappointed-need help.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive-wont-play-dvd/b385b903-15dd-4832-b87a-408700b1f2ed"