Windows 10: DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine)

Discus and support DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, DVDs specifically won't even come up as being in the drive/I can't play them even with third party programs. CDs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gangrenehaver, May 24, 2020.

1. DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine)

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, DVDs specifically won't even come up as being in the drive/I can't play them even with third party programs. CDs will come up just fine and so will install disks, it's just DVDs for some reason. Is there any way to possibly fix this?

submitted by /u/gangrenehaver
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gangrenehaver, May 24, 2020

2. dvd player don`t work

I just upgraded to windows 10 .my dvd player on my hp 2000 laptop won`t play cd`s or dvd`s .also I can not play videos on facebook or youtube.

k.p.harris, May 24, 2020
  3. Windows DVD Player installed in Windows 10 but not recognizing DVD to play

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The DVD Player app only supports the following:

a. DVDs from a file backup is not supported, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

b. The App will only play DVD's not Blu-ray discs.

If you satisfy both the categories, I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Update DVD/CD-ROM drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, May 24, 2020
  4. Johni2 Win User

DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine)

CD/DVD Player not working

The CD/DVD player on my desktop pc, has become very unreliable, since updating to windows 10

Problem:

With a CD/DVD inserted into the player .

• 1% of the time it works correctly and play a CD without any problems.

• 99% of the time it does not acknowledge the disk, a green light flashes 6 or 7 times and then goes back to do nothing mode.

• If I try to start the CD directly in windows explorer, a dialog box appears instructing me to insert a disk. I know these disks to be working.

Troubleshooting carried out

• The device manager reports the device is working properly.
    • Checked the drivers are up-to date,
    • Uninstalled the drivers
    • Scanned for hardware changes
    • Uninstalled the hardware
    • Rebooted several times
    • Scanned with DeviceDiagnostic Troubleshooting Pack Cabinet (.diagcab)
    • Checked all the cable connections
    • Did a control panel troubleshoot and Reconfigure hardware (cd player worked when I did a restart, but only the once and then continued the error)

Johni2, May 24, 2020
Thema:

DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine)

1. DVDs won't play (CDs and install disks work fine) - Similar Threads - DVDs won't play

2. CDs and DVDs do not work with my new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CDs and DVDs do not work with my new laptop: I have loads of CDs and DVDs but my brand new Win11 Lenovo doesn't even recognise my remote USB drive. I've already looked into this and none of the fixes seem to work. Surely there MUST be a fix from microsoft for this? Not something requiring in-depth programming knowledge...
  3. internal dvd player stopped working-won't play dvds or cds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    internal dvd player stopped working-won't play dvds or cds: or anything else. It shows up in My Computer, but will not work. Checking it in Device Manager, the message is there is no problem with the player, or the driver. Super strange, have never encountered this. I have an Acer All-In-One, and if I can't fix it, I will just...
  4. I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10: play cds or dvds on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-cds-or-dvds-on-windows-10/098136a1-212d-49c6-bef3-360e29e777b3
  5. Windows 10 Won't Burn CD's or DVD's BUT Plays CDs/DVDs HELP!

Windows 10 Won't Burn CD's or DVD's BUT Plays CDs/DVDs HELP!: So I tossed on a CD which played well, same with a DVD the movie played well too. But when I tried burning a blank CD using Windows Media Player it did not work, then I tried two other programs CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn neither one would work either. I am trying to burn MP3...
  6. cds won't play

cds won't play: When I load a cd on windows 10 it pops out and will never play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cds-wont-play/9a7d8923-a215-4872-b209-8dcfcb9c8fc3
  7. playing cds/dvds on an external drive

playing cds/dvds on an external drive: Whether my win10 laptop will play cds on an external drive is somewhat hit-and-miss. I have 2 drives, one old and one new. I have the same problem with both, though the old one is recognised as a drive, whereas it seems the newer one isn't. This is a huge problem, as I use...
  8. Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play CDs and DVDs

Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play CDs and DVDs: I have a problem with playing my CDs and DVDs on the Asus computer running Windows 10. The Windows Media Player doesn’t want to play on this laptop but it worked fine on my old HP laptop with Windows XP. Each time I try to start CD or DVD the pop-up shows up with a message...
  9. Media Player not working for CDs or DVDs - and never has.

Media Player not working for CDs or DVDs - and never has.: I have never succeeded in playing either a CD or DVD. When I insert a disc, it whirrs for a bit then is silent. Nothing appears in the navigation pane of media player, and it does not begin playing by itself. I have Windows 10 on a Toshiba....
  10. CDs won't play

CDs won't play: I have never had trouble using an audio cd in my HP 64-bit Windows 10 computer. Popular programs would recognize the audio files for ripping, etc. Groove music would automatically open when I inserted a disk. Now, after a recent Win 10 update this is no longer the case. Disks...