Windows 10: DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

Discus and support DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DannyG13, Sep 9, 2017.

1. DannyG13 Win User

DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas.

In short, sometimes, very occasionally, when I wake the PC up from sleep, everything gets going except the monitor. It stays in sleep and I am forced into a restart to get it going again. It's a kind of black screen without the screen actually being on.

After some huffing and puffing I seem to have isolated the culprit to either dwm.exe, lockapp.exe or logonui.exe - they all crash when this happens (via event viewer), suggesting the normal signal to monitor simply isn't happening or is being blocked because lock screen and visual apps have broken down.

I Googled it and it is a known issue, so at least it's not just me, but is there any fix or remedy?

I disabled PLL overclock in the BIOS (no idea why), I disabled auto source selection in my monitor, and I've changed the DP2 port my monitor plugs into on my 1080Ti. All of these are stabs in the dark. I have also seen an actual black screen caused by Comodo, but it was able to recover without a restart, and I am also aware Nvidia drivers can cause this.

The following are the crash logs for each app:

Hoping someone can impart words of wisdom. The annoying thing is this happens 'now and then' - meaning you can go a week on a new 'attempt' after adjusting something, think the issue is gone, it then happens and you've wasted another week trying to fix it. Can take months to resolve because of this. So could use some useful guidance!

Cheers.

:)

DannyG13, Sep 9, 2017

2. Anyone know a batch/script/program/exe that can put Windows 10 to sleep?

I am not aware of any command that can wake the computer, because nothing can execute while it's asleep. However, in the Task Scheduler you can specify a task to wake the computer to execute on time. Right-click your "wake" task -> click
    Properties -> Conditions (tab) -> Tick
    Wake the computer to run this task

With this option enabled, as long as the computer is shut down or put to sleep properly, it should power on or wake from sleep/hibernation to run your task. By "properly" I mean that it wasn't unplugged, or axed by using the reset button or holding
    the power button for 4 seconds to force it to power off. This is because Windows has to set a hardware wake timer, and it can only do this when it enters sleep/hibernation or is shutting down normally.

I hope that helps!

Techie007L, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Black screen instead of the lock screen when waking up laptop from sleep

I recently updated my windows laptop to KB3172985 (OS Build 10586.494) and whenever I wake up my laptop from sleep I only see a black screen (with no cursor) instead of the lock screen. I am forced to do a hard reset
    every time. I need help asap!

Denice Comen, Sep 9, 2017
  4. DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

As always, it doesnt hurt to check if there is file system corruption.

Open a admin command prompt and type: sfc /scannow. This will turn up any system file corruption and in many cases fix it.

Then, type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. This will check and fix component store corruption.

Next, type: chkdsk C: /scan. This will check for any file system corruption.

These steps can help fix a lot of issues with Windows.

Try updating your NVIDIA drivers as well. You may also want to try using DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller - Display Driver Uninstaller. This will completely uninstall your NVIDIA driver. You will need to reinstall the driver afterwards. This can sometimes be useful in fixing display issues, as sometimes just updating drivers doesnt fix the issue if files are corrupt.

ArazelEternal, Sep 10, 2017
  5. DannyG13 Win User
    Hi there, thanks for the reply, yeah, did all that. Came through completely clean! And no point updating the Nvidias - on the latest ones and the previous ones had this issue too. And yup, always use DDU.

A deeper search is definitely needed to figure this one out.

DannyG13, Sep 10, 2017
  6. It may be a flaky video card too. Its a longshot, but a possibility. Its always said that if new hardware is going to fail prematurely, its going to do it soon. I would try running Unigine Heaven benchmark on it for a while. Run it at Extreme settings to see if the crashes might happen when the system is being taxed. It shows the temp of your graphics card on the screen, see what it gets to after an hour or so, as long as it doesnt exceed 90C.

ArazelEternal, Sep 10, 2017
  7. DannyG13 Win User
    My card has liquid cooling - it maxes under the heaviest load at about 61C. I've also had that card since April! Nah, I don't think it's that. Something on the software side I believe is causing these apps to break down. I have tried a few adjustments and so far it's been ok but I've always found it usually takes around 10 days for an intermittent problem to manifest itself so I have a wait ahead!

DannyG13, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

1. DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help! - Similar Threads - DWM others crashing

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Crashing During Sleep, Wake up to reset PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crashing During Sleep, Wake up to reset PC: Recently built an entirely new PC with fresh format drives and a fresh install of USB Windows 11 home, I've noticed after getting it all set up and stress tested runs fine without GPU/CPU crashing that it has been crashing when locked and in asleep mode. I've run the verifier...
  4. Crashing During Sleep, Wake up to reset PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing During Sleep, Wake up to reset PC: Recently built an entirely new PC with fresh format drives and a fresh install of USB Windows 11 home, I've noticed after getting it all set up and stress tested runs fine without GPU/CPU crashing that it has been crashing when locked and in asleep mode. I've run the verifier...
  5. Crash After Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crash After Waking From Sleep: I got a crash after waking from sleep and I got this from the windows dump file using windbg. What is causing this error?Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.21349.1004 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File...
  6. Graphics keep on crashing (on wake from sleep)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics keep on crashing (on wake from sleep): My system is quite new. AMD 3900x, Radeon 5600XT. Fully updated. Monitor 1 - 1920x1200. Monitor 2 - 1920x1080. When I wake my PC from sleeping, the graphics on the 1920x1200 monitor has reverted to 1920x1080. Mon 1 Display Settings doesn't list the 1920x1080. Rebooting...
  7. Laptop wakes from sleep - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop wakes from sleep - help!: I"ve been trying to figure this out for such a long time and I'm losing my mind. The short version is that my computer, like my kid, seems to wake up from sleep all the time and if on AC, just runs and runs and runs with the lid closed and gets really hot and the fan makes a...
  8. Laptop wakes from sleep - help!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop wakes from sleep - help!: I've been trying to figure this out for such a long time and I'm losing my mind. The short version is that my computer, like my kid, seems to wake up from sleep all the time and if on AC, just runs and runs and runs with the lid closed and gets really hot and the fan makes a...
  9. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  10. Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well): Hello, I just built a new system (or really moved an old system to a new motherboard) involving a Foxconn Quantumian1 x79 motherboard and a 3930k processor. My PSU is a corsair RM850. On the old system (HP motherboard), I was not having any problems. With the Foxconn, I am...