Windows 10: DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10

Discus and support DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm using a remote destop and DWM is crashing on remote machine, disconnecting the RDP session and wiping all the open windows, forcing me to start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MerinoVolna, Jul 31, 2019.

1. DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10

I'm using a remote destop and DWM is crashing on remote machine, disconnecting the RDP session and wiping all the open windows, forcing me to start over when reconnecting to the machine. The machine itself is still operational and responsive.

The DWM is a candidate culprit, since it's a consistent signature when the crashes occur.

This has been happening since the last upgrade that I installed on Monday.

Remote machine info:

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 1903

Installed on 29.7.2019

OS build 18362.267

DWM event viewer entry (there's multiple like this):

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x6468b8f9
    Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x216e9e9f
    Exception code: 0xc00001ad
    Fault offset: 0x000000000015b68a
    Faulting process id: 0x19f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d547866e3d808a
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
    Report Id: 84fec3f8-481d-4fb6-b10c-5437edae6d95
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

:)

MerinoVolna, Jul 31, 2019
  2. MsAct007 Win User

dwm failure on rdp session in win 10

When logged in to a Win 10 pro system remotely from a Win 7 pro system, two instances of the dwm process are created. Only one appears when logged into the same system locally.

One of the two processes in the rdp session seems to be dormant, accumulating no cpu usage. However, the second dwm process seems to have an event processing thread in the dwmcore DLL that is hung in a tight loop, thus consuming a core of a multicore processor.

dwm version is 10.0.10240.16384...interesting versioning!

MsAct007, Jul 31, 2019
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 31, 2019
  4. DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10

ricardobohner, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10

1. DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10 - Similar Threads - DWM crashing intermittently

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. Intermittently getting Strange, Pixelated Alien, icon when RDP connecting to Domain...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittently getting Strange, Pixelated Alien, icon when RDP connecting to Domain...: Hi,When RDP connecting to one of our Domain Controllers, we are sometimes getting an icon which looks like a pixelated Alien / Face. Whilst this is intermittent, it seems to happen only when the server has been rebooted and this is the first time a user is logging in. After...
  5. Intermittently getting Strange, Pixelated Alien, icon when RDP connecting to Domain...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Intermittently getting Strange, Pixelated Alien, icon when RDP connecting to Domain...: Hi,When RDP connecting to one of our Domain Controllers, we are sometimes getting an icon which looks like a pixelated Alien / Face. Whilst this is intermittent, it seems to happen only when the server has been rebooted and this is the first time a user is logging in. After...
  6. Windows 10 BSOD When Connecting to RDP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 BSOD When Connecting to RDP: Hi we have a client that is receiving a BSOD when attempting to connect to a RDP session it blue screens with the error apc index mismatch win32kfull.sys. We have attempted to do Windows updates and update drivers. The only driver we did not update was the intel management...
  7. RDP Crash When Connecting Only When Certain User is Connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RDP Crash When Connecting Only When Certain User is Connected: Here's a weird one. I have RDP setup on a computer on my network (don't worry, LAN only, not exposed to the internet). This computer is running Windows 10 Pro 1903. I haven't had a need to connect via RDP for a few weeks, and I just tried for the first time on the weekend and...
  8. After August update Hyper-v Win10VM crashes when connecting via RDP

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    After August update Hyper-v Win10VM crashes when connecting via RDP: Can anyone confirm this problem? Windows 10 (1903) all updates running Hyper-V (gen2) windows 10 (1903) all updates VM. When connecting via RDP (using windows remote desktop connection application) to that VM, it just crashes, in Hyper-v manager it shows constant 12% cpu...
  9. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  10. DWM crashing, computer loses connection to monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DWM crashing, computer loses connection to monitor.: I've been having this issue since a while back, it started August 6th or 7th I think. Whenever I try to play 3D games (that previously worked fine), the framerate starts dropping and eventually the monitor just disconnects from the computer. Everything else keeps working...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe crashing windows 10

2. dwm.exe crashing

3. dwm keeps crashing

4. dwm.exe app crash on multiple computers at same time,
  5. dwm.exe crashing windows 10 remote connection,
  6. windows 10 dwm.exe app crash fix,
  7. crash dwm.exe module dwmcore.dll,
  8. DWM crashing RDS,
  9. windows 10 rdp dwm.exe crash,
  10. dwn crashing windows 10,
  11. dwm crash windows 10,
  12. rdp crashing windows 10 dwm,
  13. dwm.exe causing rdp connection to drop,
  14. dwm crashes windows 10,
  15. faulting application name: dwm.exe version: 10.0.18362.267 time stamp: 0x6468b8f9