Windows 10: DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming

Discus and support DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hello good afternoon friends :, I have a problem of excessive use of the GPU for the DWM process, I tried everything that appears in the forums and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MaxiAleaga, Dec 28, 2020.

1. DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming

hello good afternoon friends :, I have a problem of excessive use of the GPU for the DWM process, I tried everything that appears in the forums and I cannot find the solution.

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX notebook with two gpu, an intel 630 integrated and an NVDIA 1050 dedicated,

Attempts:
    - Format windows I had no results.
    - I downloaded the DDU application delete the two drivers from the gpu and then I installed them from 0 and I did not get results.
    - Deactivate the gpu Acceleration Scale, from config and also nothing.
    - Lower the priorities of the processes and nothing.

I HAVE UPDATED THE DRIVERS AS OF DECEMBER

The truth is, friends, I don't know what solution to give you, every time I play a game like DOTA2 or any other, the two gpu's work, even if I assign them in the control panel. I can't find a solution, if someone can help me I would appreciate it :

DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming 7cf107f9-310c-4818-8921-fffd8b41c3d1?upload=true.png

:)

MaxiAleaga, Dec 28, 2020

2. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher

And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not

liorgordon, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Get better Game Performance under Vista by disabling DWM on a per-application basis!

I just came across this tip/tweak, which probably many who are familiar with Vista already know... It's about disabling the aero effect on a per-application basis, so that you get vista basic interface during gameplay (when you're not going to see it) and it switches back to aero when you exit the game.

DWM, or the Desktop Window Manager, turns the graphics card into a shared resource which allows for the Aeroglass effects and the tear-free desktop. When running normal applications, this is a good thing because it offloads the graphics work (the bulk of which was handled by the CPU in Windows XP) to the GPU, which, when running normal applications is sitting in your computer doing nothing. With Aeroglass/DWM on, the CPU is freed up for other duties as all of the desktop graphics are now handled by the GPU.

In DirectX 9 and OpenGL games however, having Aeroglass/DWM on can decrease performance. This is for a number of reasons :
    1.DWM makes the video card a shared resource. When DWM is on, programs are not allowed direct access to the video card.
    2.DWM uses both System RAM and VRAM because it maintains an offscreen buffer for every window.

Fortunately, Microsoft has provided a way to disable DWM on a per-application basis so you can still enjoy Aeroglass when not running games. To disable DWM on a per-application basis, right click on the application/game's icon and select properties. Navigate to the compatibility tab, then find and check Disable Desktop Compositing. Now, whenever you launch that program, Windows Vista will temporarily switch back to the Windows XP style graphics subsystem.

DirectX 10 games shouldn't be affected as much (if at all) by having DWM on because the DirectX 10 API is designed around having the GPU as a shared resource and is better able to handle GPU multitasking.

With a few simple steps, on most setups, you can easily make your games run as fast or faster than in Windows XP under Windows Vista.

This will work on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Black Panther, Dec 28, 2020
  4. TFG9078 Win User

DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming

dwm.exe using a lot of GPU % when game is active

so I have this problem with dwm (desktop window manager), where it suddenly chooses to use 60% of my GPU when I start a game, program, or just move my mouse, and this is causing the GPU to go into 60C degrees and make an output of 50 FPS (frames per second)
    (in overwatch) when it is normally in the 40-54C with 59-60 FPS (in overwatch)

is there a way to disable dwm or is there a good workaround?

I know there has been a post about this some time ago but it never found a reliable fix

Specs:

CPU - I7-6700 base 3.40Ghz

GPU - 1060 GTX

RAM - 16 GB 2400MHz

TFG9078, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming

1. DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming - Similar Threads - DWM excessive GPU

2. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  3. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  4. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Memory utilization reached at excessive limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory utilization reached at excessive limit: Hello Team,We have Forcepoint Web security and Data loss prevention on win server 2019. we recently observed that memory utilization increased in excessive limit almost 80%. I have 4 core processor and 32 GB RAM....
  6. Memory utilization reached at excessive limit

Memory utilization reached at excessive limit: Hello Team,We have Forcepoint Web security and Data loss prevention on win server 2019. we recently observed that memory utilization increased in excessive limit almost 80%. I have 4 core processor and 32 GB RAM....
  7. Excessive GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  8. Excessive GPU usage

Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  9. dwm 100 gpu ussage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dwm 100 gpu ussage: When I'm playing games, my graphics card usage jumps to 100 and when I look at it, I see that dwm.exe is using 90% of the time, and this happens very often and it undermines my gaming experience, please help...
  10. dwm 100 gpu ussage

dwm 100 gpu ussage: When I'm playing games, my graphics card usage jumps to 100 and when I look at it, I see that dwm.exe is using 90% of the time, and this happens very often and it undermines my gaming experience, please help...