Windows 10: Dwm.exe and others crashing on wake - kills pc - please help!

Discus and support Dwm.exe and others crashing on wake - kills pc - please help! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DannyG13, Sep 9, 2017.

1. DannyG13 Win User

Dwm.exe and others crashing on wake - kills pc - please help!

Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas.

In short, sometimes, very occasionally, when I wake the PC up from sleep, everything gets going except the monitor. It stays in sleep and I am forced into a restart to get it going again. It's a kind of black screen without the screen actually being on.

After some huffing and puffing I seem to have isolated the culprit to either dwm.exe, lockapp.exe or logonui.exe - they all crash when this happens (via event viewer), suggesting the normal signal to monitor simply isn't happening or is being blocked because lock screen and visual apps have broken down.

I Googled it and it is a known issue, so at least it's not just me, but is there any fix or remedy?

I disabled PLL overclock in the BIOS (no idea why), I disabled auto source selection in my monitor, and I've changed the DP2 port my monitor plugs into on my 1080Ti. All of these are stabs in the dark. I have also seen an actual black screen caused by Comodo, but it was able to recover without a restart, and I am also aware Nvidia drivers can cause this.

The following are the crash logs for each app:

Hoping someone can impart words of wisdom. The annoying thing is this happens 'now and then' - meaning you can go a week on a new 'attempt' after adjusting something, think the issue is gone, it then happens and you've wasted another week trying to fix it. Can take months to resolve because of this. So could use some useful guidance!

Cheers.

:)

DannyG13, Sep 9, 2017

2. Start menu, Cortana and Notification dont function

try kill Cortana then restart Windows Explorer(explorer.exe) and Desktop Windows Manager(dwm.exe)

TommyVercetti, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Desktop Window Manager Memory Leak

This problem appeared after installing Win10 anniversary update. "dwm.exe" used ~1.8GB of memory. This might be a memory leak or something, that's why it eats a lot of Memory.

And it seems that the only way to solve this problem is by simply rebooting, or by killing explorer.exe, launching explorer.exe again, and killing dwm.exe after that.

Please fix this ASAP, because some users might not be aware of this leak that may be causing a lot of slowdowns.

(Memory leak confirmed on 2 Windows 10 devices, Version 1607 build 14393.51)

And yes, I have performed a virus scan.

Thank you.

RaphaelAcilo, Sep 9, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

DannyG13, please post your problem in the General Support | Windows 10 Forums

This forum is for Blue Screen (BSOD) problems only as the attention box at the top of the forum says:

Dwm.exe and others crashing on wake - kills pc - please help! [​IMG]
    Please do not post anything other than Windows 10 Blue Screen Of Death problems in this section.

If you are getting a BSOD then follow the first part of the attention box instructions:

Read the instructions here: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Ztruker, Sep 9, 2017
  5. DannyG13 Win User
    I would recommend making that last line in the instruction box bold. I simply didn't see it. Thank you for the advice, reposted now.

DannyG13, Sep 9, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    DannyG13, I'll mention that to the boss *Smile thanks.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dwm.exe and others crashing on wake - kills pc - please help! - Similar Threads - Dwm exe others

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. PC crashing please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing please help: My PC keeps blue screening when watching a show in Discord while also trying to draw via Clip Studio Paint the crash logs and event ids are as followsEVENT ID 1EVENT ID 10016EVENT ID 17EVENT ID 6062EVENT ID 263 EVENT ID 29EVENT ID 360EVENT ID 63EVENT ID 7000EVENT ID 6155EVENT...
  5. PC crashing please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing please help: My PC keeps blue screening when watching a show in Discord while also trying to draw via Clip Studio Paint the crash logs and event ids are as followsEVENT ID 1EVENT ID 10016EVENT ID 17EVENT ID 6062EVENT ID 263 EVENT ID 29EVENT ID 360EVENT ID 63EVENT ID 7000EVENT ID 6155EVENT...
  6. PC is crashing help please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is crashing help please: It's every day that it happens. It's the problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I'm so done with this. Every day when I'm playing games or doing work I always have the thought in my head that my PC's going to crash and I'm going to lose progress on the game or on the work that...
  7. PC is crashing help please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is crashing help please: It's every day that it happens. It's the problem with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION I'm so done with this. Every day when I'm playing games or doing work I always have the thought in my head that my PC's going to crash and I'm going to lose progress on the game or on the work that...
  8. PC is crashing help please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  10. DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!: Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas. In short, sometimes, very occasionally, when I wake the PC up from sleep, everything gets going except the monitor. It stays...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe standby

2. dwm.exe after standby

3. if dwm.exe is gets crashed then what will happen