Windows 10: dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10

Discus and support dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I recently replaced my GPU that stopped working with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. It has worked fine for weeks, but suddenly my display started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PhilipC2, Nov 10, 2020.

1. PhilipC2 Win User

dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10

Hello,

I recently replaced my GPU that stopped working with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

It has worked fine for weeks, but suddenly my display started crashing while I am gaming. The monitor will shut off and I can sometimes continue to hear my computer's audio but it won't respond to anything. I usually restart at this point and the display sometimes only shows on one monitor before kicking into both. I am able to play fine when I change video games to their lowest settings.

Event viewer:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x8e064b77

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xe0464645

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Usually, 4-8 of those, followed with

Dwminit event 0

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. Process exit code: 0x000000ff, Restart count: 3, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

There are also multiple DistributedCOM errors that will occur at the same time in the event viewer.

Troubleshooting I have tried so far is:

• uninstall and install the newest nvidia drivers - didn't fix
    • uninstalled and installed older drivers - didn't fix
    • sfc /scannow - found something but didn't fix

Hope to hear from you soon,

PC

:)

PhilipC2, Nov 10, 2020

2. Get better Game Performance under Vista by disabling DWM on a per-application basis!

I just came across this tip/tweak, which probably many who are familiar with Vista already know... It's about disabling the aero effect on a per-application basis, so that you get vista basic interface during gameplay (when you're not going to see it) and it switches back to aero when you exit the game.

DWM, or the Desktop Window Manager, turns the graphics card into a shared resource which allows for the Aeroglass effects and the tear-free desktop. When running normal applications, this is a good thing because it offloads the graphics work (the bulk of which was handled by the CPU in Windows XP) to the GPU, which, when running normal applications is sitting in your computer doing nothing. With Aeroglass/DWM on, the CPU is freed up for other duties as all of the desktop graphics are now handled by the GPU.

In DirectX 9 and OpenGL games however, having Aeroglass/DWM on can decrease performance. This is for a number of reasons :
    1.DWM makes the video card a shared resource. When DWM is on, programs are not allowed direct access to the video card.
    2.DWM uses both System RAM and VRAM because it maintains an offscreen buffer for every window.

Fortunately, Microsoft has provided a way to disable DWM on a per-application basis so you can still enjoy Aeroglass when not running games. To disable DWM on a per-application basis, right click on the application/game's icon and select properties. Navigate to the compatibility tab, then find and check Disable Desktop Compositing. Now, whenever you launch that program, Windows Vista will temporarily switch back to the Windows XP style graphics subsystem.

DirectX 10 games shouldn't be affected as much (if at all) by having DWM on because the DirectX 10 API is designed around having the GPU as a shared resource and is better able to handle GPU multitasking.

With a few simple steps, on most setups, you can easily make your games run as fast or faster than in Windows XP under Windows Vista.

This will work on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Black Panther, Nov 10, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Nov 10, 2020
  4. dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10

ricardobohner, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10

1. dwm.exe crashing when I turn graphics settings higher in video games windows 10 - Similar Threads - dwm exe crashing

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. Graphic settings not showing game when I browse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphic settings not showing game when I browse: I want to change the graphic settings on a game but when I click browse its not showing up in my files how can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-settings-not-showing-game-when-i-browse/d52f2892-d256-420e-a628-41d1a0e4ac8b
  5. Graphic settings not showing game when I browse

Graphic settings not showing game when I browse: I want to change the graphic settings on a game but when I click browse its not showing up in my files how can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/graphic-settings-not-showing-game-when-i-browse/d52f2892-d256-420e-a628-41d1a0e4ac8b
  6. Graphic settings not showing game when I browse

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming

DWM Desktop Window Manager crashes while gaming: Since about two weeks back, I have frequent crashes playing various games, e.g. Fortnite. Suddenly during the game can be after 1 minute or 30 minutes, but usually not longer than that the screen goes black "monitor cannot find any input" and the audio disappears. The graphic...
  8. Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.: So I recently noticed that dwm started to use way more memory than it needs and I couldn't find a solution so far from what I've seen. submitted by /u/chuckdankst [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lwewhv/dwm_higher_than_3gb_memory_usage/
  9. Windows 10 crash when playing video games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 crash when playing video games: Hello, I need some help with my computer because this is the second time this has occurred within this week but the first time crashing the computer. I mostly use my computer for gaming and surfing the internet. A few days ago, while I was playing my game, the game suddenly...
  10. Dwm crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...