Windows 10: dwm.exe make my games laggy

Discus and support dwm.exe make my games laggy in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey guys! The games start to lag/choppy after a few hours of having my PC on. I noticed that if i restart dwn.exe. then everything is gonna be fine for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by User141, Jun 15, 2019.

1. User141 Win User

dwm.exe make my games laggy

Hey guys! The games start to lag/choppy after a few hours of having my PC on. I noticed that if i restart dwn.exe. then everything is gonna be fine for like 10-12 hours.

This is what i tried/found out before finding out about dwm.exe

1. FPS is literally the same before and after screen tearing. It doesn't drop at all (usually above 144).

2. I'm pretty sure that it's not overheating. I was using MSI afterburner and AIDA64 for temps and everything seems to be fine.

3. Reinstalling windows.

4. Reinstalling drivers.

5. I haven't overclocked anything.

6. Emptying standby memory by using RamMap (even though i usually always have plenty of free RAM according to resource monitor).

7. I decided to record my gameplay while i was getting lags by using shadowplay, and i noticed that it looks fine and smooth on the video. Irecorded at 60 fps, but it still looked much better.

8. I switched to 60 hz and the lags were even worse than on 144 hz.

9. Resetting BIOS to default settings.

10. BIOS is up to date.

11. Drivers are up to date.

12. Disabling fullscreen optimization helps to solve this problem, but afaik it's basically V-sync, which i don't need.

13. CPU voltage 1.056 (according to BIOS).

14. I tried different ports for monitor such as HDMI and Display port.

15. Turning off/on monitor. unplugging cables.

PC specs:

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING OC [GV-N208TGAMING OC-11GC]

2 Kingston HyperX FURY Red Series 16 GB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8

PSU CoolerMaster V850 850W

Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X APEX

24.5 Acer KG251QFbmidpx Monitor 144 hz

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz

Would you please help me to solve this issue? Thank you so much in advance!

:)

User141, Jun 15, 2019
  2. ricardobohner, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Microsoft Games Very Laggy

Sorry it to so long for the reply, I lost my charger and had to get a new one. I've tried both sets of steps, and it's still exceptionally laggy. There's a 1-2 second delay between when I touch the screen and when something moves. It's happening in
    other Microsoft games, too.

AprilFool79, Jun 15, 2019
  4. dwm.exe make my games laggy

Get better Game Performance under Vista by disabling DWM on a per-application basis!

I just came across this tip/tweak, which probably many who are familiar with Vista already know... It's about disabling the aero effect on a per-application basis, so that you get vista basic interface during gameplay (when you're not going to see it) and it switches back to aero when you exit the game.

DWM, or the Desktop Window Manager, turns the graphics card into a shared resource which allows for the Aeroglass effects and the tear-free desktop. When running normal applications, this is a good thing because it offloads the graphics work (the bulk of which was handled by the CPU in Windows XP) to the GPU, which, when running normal applications is sitting in your computer doing nothing. With Aeroglass/DWM on, the CPU is freed up for other duties as all of the desktop graphics are now handled by the GPU.

In DirectX 9 and OpenGL games however, having Aeroglass/DWM on can decrease performance. This is for a number of reasons :
    1.DWM makes the video card a shared resource. When DWM is on, programs are not allowed direct access to the video card.
    2.DWM uses both System RAM and VRAM because it maintains an offscreen buffer for every window.

Fortunately, Microsoft has provided a way to disable DWM on a per-application basis so you can still enjoy Aeroglass when not running games. To disable DWM on a per-application basis, right click on the application/game's icon and select properties. Navigate to the compatibility tab, then find and check Disable Desktop Compositing. Now, whenever you launch that program, Windows Vista will temporarily switch back to the Windows XP style graphics subsystem.

DirectX 10 games shouldn't be affected as much (if at all) by having DWM on because the DirectX 10 API is designed around having the GPU as a shared resource and is better able to handle GPU multitasking.

With a few simple steps, on most setups, you can easily make your games run as fast or faster than in Windows XP under Windows Vista.

This will work on both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Black Panther, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

dwm.exe make my games laggy

1. dwm.exe make my games laggy - Similar Threads - dwm exe games

2. Is it possible to make HDR exceptions for specific exe's/games/etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to make HDR exceptions for specific exe's/games/etc: Hi. I have a problem with one game that have blackscreen on launch, but it is only with HDR turned on. It's known issue and I just have to disable HDR when I wanna play this game, but I'm curious if there is any possibility to make exceptions to this specific game/exe file....
  3. Is it possible to make HDR exceptions for specific exe's/games/etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to make HDR exceptions for specific exe's/games/etc: Hi. I have a problem with one game that have blackscreen on launch, but it is only with HDR turned on. It's known issue and I just have to disable HDR when I wanna play this game, but I'm curious if there is any possibility to make exceptions to this specific game/exe file....
  4. My headphones are laggy after entering a game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My headphones are laggy after entering a game.: After I bought bluetooth adapter I connected my keyboard and headphones to it. Headphones worked fine until I launched the game. Then they became very crunchy and laggy. Thry kept sounding like that even after I turned the game off. Why's that and how to fix it? they're JBL...
  5. My headphones are laggy after entering a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headphones are laggy after entering a game.: After I bought bluetooth adapter I connected my keyboard and headphones to it. Headphones worked fine until I launched the game. Then they became very crunchy and laggy. Thry kept sounding like that even after I turned the game off. Why's that and how to fix it? they're JBL...
  6. My headphones are laggy after entering a game.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Laggy Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laggy Games: So one night in 2019, I was playing a game and I was having fun you know normal fps 100+ and then I decided to go to sleep. The next day I woke up and went to play again, and for some reason on every single game I just had way worse fpsthan before, for example minecraft:...
  8. dwm exe taking too much ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dwm exe taking too much ram: so, ive had this problem few weeks ago, and it annoys me because i had to restart almost everyday. hope someone could help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-exe-taking-too-much-ram/e8a7fb6d-a9c2-4c4a-b2e4-c6a4376104bf
  9. DWM EXE high memory, anyone know how to fix it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DWM EXE high memory, anyone know how to fix it: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/u7m40go4z8b61.png?width=666&format=png&auto=webp&s=a54ff7e9c58e02b4417c2abc2d4682e8e03c2e36 submitted by /u/mr_griffon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kx0o1w/dwm_exe_high_memory_anyone_know_how_to_fix_it/
  10. Laggy Games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laggy Games: So, I recently got a new computer, and it's been working fine ever since I got it. Suddenly, my games lagged to the point they were barely playable. And it's ONLY my games. Everything else works fine. Does anyone know how to fix this?...