Windows 10: DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please

Discus and support DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey chaps, I've run into an issue with the Desktop Windows Manager - in short it very occasionally crashes out when I wake from sleep, which stops the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DannyG13, Jan 17, 2018.

1. DannyG13 Win User

DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please

Hey chaps, I've run into an issue with the Desktop Windows Manager - in short it very occasionally crashes out when I wake from sleep, which stops the monitor going on, and forces me into a hard reset via the login screen (two users - can't navigate in the dark).

I did notice what sounded like a usb plug in windows notification sound (three beep tone) if that helps.

But the error in app manager says it was DWM exiting in 'association with' my 1080Ti.

This happens once in a blue moon. Once a month at most. But it's still annoying.

I've heard such errors are a known Windows 10 bug - never had anything like this on 7.

Any known cure for this ail?

Any further info required, feel free to ask.

:)

DannyG13, Jan 17, 2018

2. Nokia 5800 memory card not working

And Nokia please, no hard restart or format MC advice please (also WAKE UP!!)

This is not Nokia its a users forum who try to help other users so complaints are wasted here .

I would ( As you do not want to go down the probable advice of reset format etc )

Contact a Nokia service centre /take your phone to a Nokia Care centre .

Re data on the memory card have you tried backing up the data from a memory card reader .

jje

jjegan---01, Jan 17, 2018
  3. Nokia Lumia 720 hard resetting till 8 hours can anybody help

I had to hard reset my phone due to camera roll problem so I watched a video on youtube to know how to hard reset it . I went to sleep wake up and my phone is still hard resetting ! Can anybody help please ? How to stop hard resetting another thing?

SteeveGebert, Jan 17, 2018
  4. DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please

Hi Danny

I'm going to assume drivers are at fault. Other member may know better.

I would also look at your BIOS. I'm not saying you have to update but I would head to Asus and see if there are newer ones available. Updating BIOS means a certain amount of risk and only you can decide if you want to perform. (BIOS updates gone bad can mean a dead machine.) Obviously you know all about this, you likely built this machine.

I would also make sure the chip set and if you are still using the Internal graphics that they have been identified properly and have current drivers installed.

You also mentioned the USB tone. Problem with intermittent issues is you can never get them to act up when you want. I would have a look at their drivers to. Do you have any special USB devices? Can you leave these disconnected until you need them?

Windows 10 does a good job of identifying drivers but it can load generic MS driver where a manufacture driver should be used. I would look through the Asus downloads and ensure your system has the appropriate manufacturer drivers installed.

Before commencing any work like this I would recommend you have a recovery process in mind. I often recommend Macrium Reflect to image your system. This allows you a way back. Please ensure your restore points are also enabled. (although I don't think I would only be using restore points.) There is a thread recently where someone changed a storage driver and the machine would not boot. Caution is recommended.

Caledon Ken, Jan 17, 2018
  5. DannyG13 Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks so much for the reply.

I cannot believe I didn't notice this on the desktop. I don't know if it's the cause or a symptom but it ties directly into your second last paragraph:

DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please [​IMG]

To answer all your other queries; bios is the most recent (Z97A); internal graphics are disabled by default on this board if other graphics are installed, no special USB beyond ext HDD but I had these issues before getting it.

Oh trust me my friend, I am cautious. Does the follow up info help you in any way?

DannyG13, Jan 17, 2018
  6. Can't really read, for some reason graphic won't pop out.

I think it says using basic windows driver. That can't be right for a Nvidia 1080ti.

Glad you found it.

Caledon Ken, Jan 17, 2018
  7. DannyG13 Win User
    'display driver failed to start' etc. 'Using basic display driver instead'.

Well clearly it wasn't hence the monitor wouldn't go on!

I've had this issue with previous drivers though.

Any ideas?

DannyG13, Jan 18, 2018
  8. DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please

I would use DDU to uninstall existing driver.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...ink_new_window

Then you could try reloading newest driver.

If that fails I would use DDU and I would go back a driver or two and install.

I would also shut off driver updates in Nvida Gforce experience, (think that is where it is) and Windows. Option 4

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

I'm a firm believer in updating drivers when they need fixing, not because they are new. I'm after stability.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please

1. DWM 'exiting' on wake up - causes hard reset. Advice please - Similar Threads - DWM 'exiting' wake

2. What is causing dwm to crash?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is causing dwm to crash?: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  3. What is causing dwm to crash?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is causing dwm to crash?: ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false AllowNugetExeUpdate : false AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : false...
  4. Wake TF up please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake TF up please: Windows 10 is such a pain in the ass to wake up. That is my post submitted by /u/JunkCrap247 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8dd7o/wake_tf_up_please/
  5. screen not waking up dwm and lockapp hangs in event log

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen not waking up dwm and lockapp hangs in event log: I have had my wake app not working on this machine for a month plus? This issue is discussed on this forum and other websites for longer than that. Most are thread locked without resolution. Is there anyone at microsoft listening? does support exist anymore? when a...
  6. Partition advice please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  7. advice on backing up data to an external source please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    advice on backing up data to an external source please: Sorry but this is a very simple question. I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick but on the screen it says drive E is disconnected and all I want to do is to back up my present data, can anyone please tell me...
  8. Best advice on sleep/wake?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best advice on sleep/wake?: I can easily put system to sleep, but the wake result is variable. After a few minutes, touching keyboard or mouse will wake the system correctly . After some variable time (perhaps an hour or more),I can still hear PC fans running, but the monitor won't come on. To have the...
  9. DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!: Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas. In short, sometimes, very occasionally, when I wake the PC up from sleep, everything gets going except the monitor. It stays...
  10. Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!: My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS. I was hoping some of you have experience salvaging data in these type of situations. What I've tried I tried loading Ubuntu on a thumb...