Windows 10: DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it?

Discus and support DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The PC in question is a Dell XPS 9100 from 2010. CPU: Core i7-960 @ 3.2GHz GPU: Nvidia GT 310 RAM: 6GB (it was supposed to be 9GB in a 3 channel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Captian_ZeroFox, Aug 5, 2020.

1. DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it?

The PC in question is a Dell XPS 9100 from 2010.

CPU: Core i7-960 @ 3.2GHz

GPU: Nvidia GT 310

RAM: 6GB (it was supposed to be 9GB in a 3 channel, but the 3rd channel stopped working)

Using Windows 10 1909

So there's these 3 Unity games that shouldn't be able to run on my PC because they require DirectX 11, and my GPU support up to DirectX 10.1, but I can play them, at full framerate.

I'm not using Unity arguments to force another API, and I confirmed that they are running on DX11 using the Riva Tuner overlay wich shows me what API the game is running.

Sure the games are not demanding, 2 are visuals novels with "special" 2D effects, 1 is an action platformer with pixel graphics.

But how is this possible? If my GPU doesn't support them, why are they running? Shouldn't I be stopped with an error just like with Civilizations VI?

submitted by /u/Captian_ZeroFox
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Captian_ZeroFox, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Traijan Win User

What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12

I think that's pretty much it, you nailed it.

If a company makes their game DX12 only (hardware level dx) and you don't have a true DX12 (hardware level) card then you won't be able to run their software.

On the other hand I've seen plenty of companies that make their game have support for DX9, DX10, DX11 etc so that more people can buy it and run it.

As far as I know there are no games out so far that are DX12 exclusive so really it's not something to worry about, but if you want to be ready and are in the market for a new graphic card, then you may as well somewhat future proof yourself by buying a DX12 card for that day when they do start producing DX12 exclusive games.

My opinion here: Since MS is giving away the free upgrade to so many customers, I think that's going to push game developers to start developing for DX12 where as in the past they could pretty much stick to 9c and many of them did, so I think in a couple years time we'll start to see a big push of DX12 games.

I had to get a new graphics card recently (well.. I didn't have to, but I wanted to) so I bought a DX12 card even though I may not see a DX12 exclusive game for it ever made. I can only think of one of the 395 games that I have on steam that went with DX11 (DX11 Hardware level required) and it bit a bunch of people in the bum as they thought that by having DX11 (the software) that meant that their cards were true DX11 hardware compliant when it turned out that was not the case. So anyway, if you're in the market, then go for a DX12 card so that you're ready if the case should ever arrive.

Traijan, Aug 5, 2020
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    F1 2017 dx11 vs dx12

@Burgurne,

If the game is only DX11, then even if you have a DX12 GPU (video card), and a DX12 OS (Windows 10), the game will only run is DX11 as that the mode the game was designed to run in. In order to run in DX12 mode you need 3 things....

• Game must be a DX12 title
    • GPU must be DX12 capable
    • OS must support DX12
    If any of those things at missing, the game will run in the lowest DX mode available to the lowest item. In your case it appears the game is only DX11 capable, so your DX mode will be 11. Also be aware that the DX API is backwards compatible, which means DX12 can play older DX games - 8 - 11 for example. That even though the OS is DX12 capable, doesn't mean a DX9 title is automatically elevated to DX12.

Here's a list of DX12 supported games - List of games with DirectX 12 support - Wikipedia.

Hope that answers your question.

BTW What is the game title in question?

sygnus21, Aug 5, 2020
  4. DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it?

ihave a gt610 graphics card

Ihave gt610 graphics card it is dx11 and ilike to play assassins Creed black flag the game also supports dx10 .So my doubt is to increase the fps in game I need to decrease dx11 to dx10 So that I can run at 25-30fps please help to decrease dx 11 to dx10.
    Windows 10 pro graphics not physically dx12.

krishnaprasadrayudupativada, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it?

1. DX11 games run on my PC even tho my Graphics Card doesn't support it? - Similar Threads - DX11 games run

2. My Intel intergraded graphics card isn't running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Intel intergraded graphics card isn't running: So earlier today I did a clean install of Windows 10, downgrading from Windows 11. I have 3 graphics cards, a Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti, and IntelR UHD Graphics 630, and a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter if that counts. The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is the messed up one....
  3. My Intel intergraded graphics card isn't running

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Intel intergraded graphics card isn't running: So earlier today I did a clean install of Windows 10, downgrading from Windows 11. I have 3 graphics cards, a Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti, and IntelR UHD Graphics 630, and a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter if that counts. The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is the messed up one....
  4. Why is all of my games is not using my graphics card?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is all of my games is not using my graphics card?: Even when I set it on Nvidia control panel my games is only using my CPU and causes all my games to lag... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-all-of-my-games-is-not-using-my-graphics/1b0a112d-ff9c-45f4-b8a2-c5e88970c394
  5. Graphics Card not supported

in Windows 10 Customization
    Graphics Card not supported: I tried changing my graphics card for other applications. But the application does not run on the graphics card. I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling the driver. Every possible thing i have tried and none worked. You guys help...
  6. Forza Horizon 4 : graphic card doesn't support dx12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza Horizon 4 : graphic card doesn't support dx12: Hi I want to play Forza Horizon 4 but there is a problem [ATTACH] and also my system info and graphic info: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] anyone can help??...
  7. My device doesn't support dx11? i have dx12 and 11_0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My device doesn't support dx11? i have dx12 and 11_0: Hi. maybe I am bad at English if I told something wrong. My device i5 4570, 8 GB ram, gtx 750 ti. I wonder when I run games that game runs with dx9 and doesn't let me play with dx11 and drops fps. I did not find any solution to it. I updated the windows update. downloaded...
  8. my Graphic card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my Graphic card: does intel hd 630 is the same as nvidia gtx 1050...because I just bought a laptop Lenovo legion intel i7 7th gen and nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 and I saw my gpu was named intel hd 630...are they same...
  9. Can I run this graphic card with my PSU?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can I run this graphic card with my PSU?: My PSU is 450W and want to run a Radeon HD 6850 thus, upgrading from a Radeon HD 6670. Do I have enough juice on my unit to run it? 106245
  10. Is it my graphics card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is it my graphics card?: Hey everyone im new to this forum and I need some expertise. I recently built my first pc this summer and ive been having problems for the past 2 months with games crashing. At first they would only crash when a sound or spotify overlay came up. Now im getting graphics...