Windows 10: DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ?

Discus and support DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have win10 64bit and I cannot play any dx9 games at all as they either crash or work at extremity low fps. Even compatibility mode makes games like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Abe_Sully, May 6, 2020.

1. Abe_Sully Win User

DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ?

I have win10 64bit and I cannot play any dx9 games at all as they either crash or work at extremity low fps. Even compatibility mode makes games like Assassin's Creed 1 dx9 or VTMB just crash at startup instead of working at 12fps or something. Please note that modern games work great. The problem only applies to old dx9 games and yes I have tried the dxsetup and regardless of how much i try it, it's still pointless. Yes I have the latest nvidia drivers. Also note that compatibility modes don't seem to work, as in they just crash games instead of making them work. Thanks in advance.

:)

Abe_Sully, May 6, 2020

2. Games keep crashing on Windows 10.

Hi,

I would like to inform that the games which were working in previous Operating System may or may not work in Windows 10 due to compatibility issues. I suggest you to check for the latest version of the games which are not working, check compatibility
    with Windows 10 and install. If the latest version is not available or if the games are not compatible, suggest you to install the games in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below:

• Download the setup files for the game nd save it on your local disk.

• Right click on the setup file of the game and select
      “Properties”.

• Select “Compatibility” Tab.

• Place a check mark next to“Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

• Let the game install and then check thefunctionality.
    Let us know the status of the issue.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, May 6, 2020
  3. Game crashing.

Hi Nini,

The error message that you received when you played the game means that the graphics card driver needs an update. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you update the graphics card driver by following the steps below:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    • Expand one of the categories to find the name of your display adapter, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right-click your graphics
      card and select Update Driver.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    • If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver:

• Open the Device Manager.
    • Right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the display adapter.
    • Select Uninstall.
    • Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

You may also run the game in compatibility mode to make it work on your Windows 10 PC by following the steps below:

• Go to the game folder and right click on the setup file.
    • Click on Properties and go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Under the Compatibility mode, check Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select the operating system where the game is compatible.
    • Let the drivers install and launch the game again

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.  

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Loraine Mon, May 6, 2020
  4. DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ?

Trying to play a VERY old game in "Compatibility Mode": Wrath of the Gods

Hello Bowyer,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums. We are glad to help you.

Install app in Compatibility mode

I would suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode and check: Follow these steps:

• Download the game from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
      ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists

Hope it helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, May 6, 2020
Thema:

DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ?

1. DX9 games not working? Compatibility mode crashes ? - Similar Threads - DX9 games working

2. KB5031356 IE stopped working on compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5031356 IE stopped working on compatibility mode: Hi All,We installed KB5031356 on our test devices and many application which were working on IE compatibility now stopped working. Is there any alternate option ?Regards,Santhosh...
  3. Games Crashing in Windowed mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Games Crashing in Windowed mode: Hi all, so for about 3 months ive been experiencing a problem in windows 10 where windowed games crash. The only solution vive found is to play in Fullscreen. Please let me know if there is a solution or someone else who has experienced this. submitted by /u/HeyItz_Kevz...
  4. Reduced color compatibility mode not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reduced color compatibility mode not working: If I enable 'Reduced color compatibilty mode' for an application - Properties... Compatibility... Settings... Reduced color mode... 8-bit 256 color - it appears to have no effect at all. In previous versions of Windows this would emulate an 8-bit 'paletted' display, that is...
  5. compatability mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    compatability mode: I am trying to get Winamp to work but I keep getting a popup thaat says winamp is running in compatability mode. however, when I right click on the winamp icon, select properties, and select the compatability tab the "run in compatability box is not checked". I desperately...
  6. Compatability Mode, why? it never every works.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Compatability Mode, why? it never every works.: Hi all, I'm assuming that this discussion has been had on many occasions. But I'm clearly too stupid to find the thread/discussion, maybe a link would help. Anyway, so here goes. What is the point of compatibility mode? Ever since I've used windows, I like everyone on the...
  7. Javafx application crashes in compatibility mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Javafx application crashes in compatibility mode: Hi, I have a JavaFX application which crashes if: 1. Right click on its shortcut; 2. Click on "Properties"; 3. Select the tab "Compatibility"; 4. Check the "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" checkbox; 5. Click on the "Ok" button; 6. Run the application. I would like to...
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  9. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  10. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...