Windows 10: Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual...

Discus and support Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a dual boot configuration set up with Windows 10 primary OS and Windows 7. Background: The dual-boot setup was previously working fine, until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Luke Grayson, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual...

I have a dual boot configuration set up with Windows 10 primary OS and Windows 7.

Background: The dual-boot setup was previously working fine, until the Windows 10 dev team installed another one of their half-baked updates late June / early July 2020 and wrecked the entire setup. The BIOS got reset and the machine went into an eternal boot loop and could not be shut down other than turning off power at the wall.

It was so bad that for a while I thought I had hardware issues. In the end though, the after much testing, I established that the hardware was completely fine and of course it was Windows 10 that was the culprit. I managed to get Windows 10 restored but the Windows 7 installation which had been rock-solid for 10 year was corrupted and I had to do a complete reinstall.

The Problem: Now, Windows 7 now sees my spanned data disks a dynamic disk as "Foreign". It does not appear in Windows File Explorer and is listed as "Foreign" under Disk Management. At first it seemed I was able to fix this by somply right-clicking on either of the dynamic disks in Disk Management and selecting "Import Foreign Disks".

However, when I reboot and load Windows 10, the dynamic disk previously present has disappeared. I have to repeat the process I did in Windows 7: "Import Foreign Disks".

Then, when I reboot and load Windows 7, the JBOD has disappeared again. And around and around we go.

If I reboot and load the same OS, the disks remain imported, but as soon as a switch OS on reboot, the disks have to be reimported.

After much searching I found this obscure page which seems to suggest that the issue is related to "disk grouping". This post and this post sounded promising even though I am not getting any errors about disk groups but there is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmio\Boot Info registry key on my system so perhaps disk grouping has nothing to do with my issue?

I'm at a total loss.

Either way, I'm hoping some helpful Microsoft representative can help me, especially given that I have now spent a week restoring a system that was working just fine until Microsoft's forced Windows updates ruined it.

As a side note, if anyone finds this post in the process of looking for information about dual-booting Windows 10 with any other OS,don't do it. It isn't worth the trouble. Windows 10 is has too much power and is simply too unstable.Windows 10 will eventually destroy your dual boot setup.

I am currently looking at using a physical external switch to use for my dual boot. I have come to the conclusion that this is the only reliable way to safely dual boot alongside Windows 10. If your other OS drive is plugged in and running while Windows 10 is plugged in a running, it isn't safe.

:)

Luke Grayson, Jul 19, 2020

2. Windows 7 and Dynamic Disk

Hello,

I've been trying to install Windows 7 x64 On my Laptop, I've already have Windows 7 x32 on It. But the setup won't let me install on the disk and says it can't be installed on a dynamic volume.

What does that means? And what is the best solution for it?

I need a solution which won't let my data wipe.. *Smile Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual... :)))

smartali89, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Foreign Disk

Hi,

You will only lose the data in the Foreign Disk once you convert it to a "Basic Disk" in Disk Management.

To allow the disk to be recognized, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "Disk Management" and click on it.
    • Right-click on the foreign disk and select "Import Foreign Disks..."

Feel free to post back with more information.

Israel Arn, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual...

1. Dynamic Disk defaults to "Foreign" when switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in Dual... - Similar Threads - Dynamic Disk defaults

2. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  3. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  4. Access Denied on Dynamic disk when using Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro x64 system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access Denied on Dynamic disk when using Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro x64 system: I have a dual boot system, with two different SSD drives, each with an instance of Windows 10 Prox64. I select from the BIOS on power up using F12 which SSD I want to boot from. There also is an internal dynamic disk D-drive that is visible from both OS's. If I add or delete...
  5. How to Dual boot 2 Windows 10 installations with Hibernation when switching between them

How to Dual boot 2 Windows 10 installations with Hibernation when switching between them: I want to install 2 versions of Windows 10 on my laptop, one for work and one for personal. The laptop has two separate SSD's. They can considered as two completely separate machines, there's no need to share files between them. I need to be able to hibernate one instance,...
  6. Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 with dynamic disks

Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 with dynamic disks: [ATTACH]I want to do an Upgrade installation from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. I am using Dynamic Disks. A few years ago, on the same machine with the same dynamic disks, I did a clean install from a non-genuine Windows 7 Ultimate which pc repairman put on there to a...
  7. Switching between single and dual monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching between single and dual monitors: I have a dual monitor setup but often only need a single monitor. Windows does not recognize if the second monitor is off and will attempt to open apps and windows in the non existent second monitor forcing me to switch it on. Is this the default behavior and is there any way...
  8. Switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching between Windows 10 and Windows 7: On my machine, I have installed Windows 7 and Windows 10. How to switch between operating systems without restarting computer? 131017
  9. Dynamic (foreign) Disks1 Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamic (foreign) Disks1 Issue: When I finished installing Windows 10. I've found the issue that my external hard drive is not showing up, It is looking Dynamic Disks1 (foreign) :( So, anyone could you please give me a hand to solve the issue without Loss of Data? [ATTACH]...
  10. Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second (not new) hdd dynamic foreign: Hi my second hdd died unfortunately , but I took another hdd from my older comp.. I just attached it, device manager see's it and also disk manager.. but.. file explorer doesnt see it.. I saved a screen shot but the info from right clicking the drive didnt save.. this is the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. import foreign disk dual boot