Windows 10: Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup

Discus and support Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Everyone! Not 100% sure this is the right place to post this but let me give you the situation. I recently had a computer with 2 4tb drives RAID 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CXLink, Jul 30, 2020.

1. CXLink Win User

Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup

Hi Everyone!
    Not 100% sure this is the right place to post this but let me give you the situation. I recently had a computer with 2 4tb drives RAID 1 in it as my primary backups for my home. They were a little over 50% full when that motherboard died. I am trying to bring up one of the drives on another windows machine that I have. The disk is showing in disk management but shows as Dynamic and Invalid which I am not sure that Windows 10 Home can handle because it's Dynamic. This drive does not have an OS on it, just a lot of pictures, music, and movies, as well as personal and business documents.

I am trying to do one of 2 things:
    - some how make the dynamic invalid disk readable on Windows 10 Home so that I can access the content on it
    OR
    - get the contents of one of the partitions off the drive over to another 4TB drive that I have in the machine. I need it to maintain the folder structure.

I am not really sure which route would be best/easiest or what exactly I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

CXLink, Jul 30, 2020
  2. [Suejin] Win User

Invalid Dynamic disk

Hello Kesava,

I'm Jin, a fellow Windows 10 user and an independent advisor.

I can see that the hard disk from your old hard disk is in a dynamic format and current shows as invalid on your device.

Try converting the disk into a Basic Disk using Disk Management:

(Before proceeding with this, make sure that the important files from this disk has been backup as it will delete the contents of this disk.)

1. Press Windows key + R and type diskmgmt.msc then hit Enter.

2. Right click on Dynamic volumes and delete all the dynamic volumes one by one.

3. After deleting all volumes, right-click on Invalid Dynamic Disk and choose Convert to Basic Disk.

You may also find this article helpful on making that old hard drive work on your device:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/repair-...

This is a non-Microsoft website which would provide accurate and safe information. Watch out for ads on the site which are frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). There is no need to buy paid products to fix your computers as they do
    more harm than good sometimes.

Kind regards.

[Suejin], Jul 30, 2020
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup

1. Dynamic Invalid Hard Drive Repair or Backup - Similar Threads - Dynamic Invalid Hard

2. External hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive backup: Hi everybody, I would like to back up an external hard drive. To this day at the end of the day I launch a backup program with which I save everything to another external hard drive. Due to a malfunction a few days ago I risked losing data both on the main hard disk and on...
  3. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  4. Options For Backup Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Options For Backup Hard Drive?: Hello Purchased last year when i could afford it a Western Digital 4TB Black Hard drive, at the time idea was to use it internally, but lately having second thoughts, as since then purchased M.2 SSD, and also Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD that i made into Game Drive, resulting in...
  5. Invalid Dynamic disk

Invalid Dynamic disk: I have connected my old laptops hard disk to a new one and it is not accessible. In device management the hard disk shows "Dynamic" and "Invalid". so what should I do ?...
  6. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  7. Backup of files on hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup of files on hard drives: Hello, I wish to know how to setup an incremental backup so it backs up only recently modified files on hard drives. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-of-files-on-hard-drives/6d3fbdac-3730-4c48-ae1e-29579484aa8a
  8. Fix 'Dynamic / Invalid Disk'

Fix 'Dynamic / Invalid Disk': Evening all, I recently found out my old HP Pavillion G6 Laptop 750gb hard drive which I have tried to access on my Dual-booted iMac (windows version 1903). However, in Disk Management is says 'Disk 2 - Dynamic - Invalid'. The option to Convert to Basic disc is greyed out...
  9. backup to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    backup to external hard drive: The backup to external hard drive will not perform. All kinds of errors and it says it did not backup. What? Am I so stupid that I cannot tell it what drive to back up to? It wants to choose for me and then does not like it's choice. Where are the real settings so I can...
  10. Hard drive crash with no backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive crash with no backup: Hard drive crash on PC with no backup. Do I need to buy a new license key for Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crash-with-no-backup/a8309843-ad58-4a8a-8580-9641a8fe07fa