Windows 10: Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance

Discus and support Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've got a pretty powerful workstation/gaming setup so when I experienced stuttering in some games I decided to google some fixes. Google recommended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KDBgames, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance

I've got a pretty powerful workstation/gaming setup so when I experienced stuttering in some games I decided to google some fixes.

Google recommended me this article which gave 8 tips on how to fix stutter in Video Games. I already tried out most of the solutions but one caught my eye: disabling Dynamic Tick. First off, the article takes zero time to explain to you what you are doing and what Dynamic Tick is. So I googled it.

Dynamic Ticks are a feature that lets windows stop the system timer when nothing is happening in order to conserve power. This is nice for portable and battery systems but can be a problem for desktops, especially since the tickless mode has been known to cause strange issues on some systems; especially when gaming or engaged in other media related tasks.

Alright, clear as day. I've got nothing to lose. So I put in the commands and restarted my computer.

My computer became a slow stuttery mess. It felt like I went back to an HDD as boot but worse. So back to googling. Sluggishly opening Google Chrome again and for some reason, some keys didn't register right. "How to enable D^namic T^ck" is an example.

Again, all results gave me a "disable it, you've got nothing to lose" solution. Finally, I found one article talking about Dynamic Tick and Audio Stutter and delay. Here the person stated that some people get the exact opposite result by disabling Dynamic Tick. One guy in the comments even showed proof. But thankfully the person gave me the commands to return the settings back to default. I put in the commands, executed them, and rebooted. Boom, back to normal. Someone else said that I needed to change some settings in my bios as well but my bios is extremely fragile so I don't want to dabble with it unless I really need to.

Now here is my question: What are you guys' experience with Dynamic Tick? Has anyone experience the same things as me or did disabling it gives you better performance on your desktop? And what did I do wrong?

System specs:
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
    OC Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz
    OC MSI Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio 8GB
    32GB G.Skill 3600MT/s DDR4 RAM
    Samsung M.2 500GB (boot)
    Windows version 20H2

tl;dr: disabling Dynamic Tick gave me worse performance on my desktop. Anyone else have experience with Dynamic Tick?

submitted by /u/KDBgames
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KDBgames, Jan 28, 2021
  2. RCoon Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 28, 2021
  4. R-T-B Win User

Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance

Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance

1. Dynamic Tick and Windows 10 performance - Similar Threads - Dynamic Tick performance

2. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  3. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  4. Ticks and crosses on Windows 10 desk top icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ticks and crosses on Windows 10 desk top icons: Quite suddenly all the icons on my Windows 10 desk top became marked with small symbols in their bottom left hand corners. The symbols are either white crosses in tiny red circles or green ticks in tiny green symbols. Others have tiny cloud symbols. What are these; should I...
  5. Dynamic Lock on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dynamic Lock on Windows 10: Can I pair my Iphone 10XR through blue tooth to the dynamic lock feature in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dynamic-lock-on-windows-10/66775c71-b9f1-4cd2-9150-915a06f590e2
  6. What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick?: What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick? They are both currently disabled. I want to reset them back since I was experiencing crashes and random 3-5 seconds of low fps in Team Fortress 2 and I figured the disabled HPET and Dynamic Tick were the culprits since...
  7. Dynamic Provisioning in Window 10 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dynamic Provisioning in Window 10 Pro: What is Dynamic Provisioning in Window 10 pro and how do I use it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dynamic-provisioning-in-window-10-pro/84b841d7-7684-4fed-825a-b878f397a5d8
  8. Windows Security-- DEVICE PERFORMANCE & HEALTH-- No longer a green tick --just NO ACTION...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Security-- DEVICE PERFORMANCE & HEALTH-- No longer a green tick --just NO ACTION...: DEVICE PERFORMANCE & HEALTH ? Why is there NO GREEN TICK any more ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-device-performance-health-no/daa0555d-7de5-4b9a-b1fb-0571be54382f
  9. Dynamic Lock in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Dynamic Lock in Windows 10: Device Info: Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 Running: OS Build 17134.345 Bluetooth Device Info iPhone 6 Plus OS: iOS 12.1 Story: I am trying to use the Dynamic Lock feature that was introduced in the Windows 10 Creators update. As I try to enable it, I can't...
  10. ticking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ticking: I think the HDD is going. Do I just install it and recover from my Macrium image as usual or do I have to format etc.? What else could be making an intermittent ticking? I ran Dell DX and it said all OK as did Speccy but I don't trust software testing. Should I run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dynamictick

2. dynamic tick windows11

3. dynamic tick

4. should i disable dynamic tick