Windows 10: Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

Discus and support Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The main disk where I have my boot and system partition is running out of space. I have an extra disk not used in my computer. In the past, I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by José Navarro, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

The main disk where I have my boot and system partition is running out of space.

I have an extra disk not used in my computer.

In the past, I was able (during installation) to use two disks with stripped partitions (RAID-0-like), now however, I cannot.

What I have done so far is set my "main" disk as dynamic as well as the spare one. I cannot however change my partition to stripped nor extend the volume over the other disk.

Currently in this computer I have a Windows 10 home edition. The documentation I have found about this topic refers to Windows Server... is this feature no longer supported for normal licenses?

:)

José Navarro, Dec 10, 2019
  2. Jizzler Win User

Extending volume problems

Looks like you'll need to go dynamic.

Jizzler, Dec 10, 2019
  3. Ariel Aba Win User
    Convert Basic Disk into Dynamic Disk

Hi Charbel,

It would be helpful if you mentioned the things that you have tried to do that failed so that we can skip those steps. You can follow the steps provided in the article:
    How to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk in Windows 7, to change a basic disk to
    a dynamic one. The instructions are also applicable for Windows 10. You can also check this article:
    Extend a basic volume.

Ensure that you create a back up for your system as well.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Dec 10, 2019
  4. Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the exact steps mentioned below and check if you are able to perform the action.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

• In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

• Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up
      space.
    Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

1. Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk - Similar Threads - Dynamic Volumes Unable

2. Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management: Hello, recently I have deleted a partition on my SSD that was containing another operating system. I did this to expand the size of my Windows partition to install some more games. However, I was unable to extend the volume of my main partition because the "Extend Volume"...
  3. Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend volume of a partition in Disk Management: Hello, recently I have deleted a partition on my SSD that was containing another operating system. I did this to expand the size of my Windows partition to install some more games. However, I was unable to extend the volume of my main partition because the "Extend Volume"...
  4. extend volume of the main disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extend volume of the main disk: i cant extend the volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-of-the-main-disk/b2b7de90-24e1-433f-86db-a8e130d694f0
  5. extend volume of the main disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extend volume of the main disk: i cant extend the volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-of-the-main-disk/b2b7de90-24e1-433f-86db-a8e130d694f0
  6. extend volume of the main disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. extend the volume of c disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extend the volume of c disk: Original title: sark_boy04Hi guys! I need your help. I'm gonna extend the volume of c disk. But extend button is unabled.I have read reasons for this trouble like there is no unallocated space . But i have. Please answer if you know solution...
  8. Unable to Extend main partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Extend main partition: I have a kingston ssd 240 gigs . earlier I had made partition from it . which was around 16GBs and now I want to extend the volume of my main partition but Im unable to do it ... Please Help me with this. please find screen shot attached....
  9. How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?: So my D drive(Storage Drive, OS is installed on C) has 100 GB of unallocated space which I would like to merge with my main partition that has 831 GB. But when I try to do so using the wizard, it tells me that it will convert it into Dynamic Disk. I really don't want to...
  10. How can I extend the main volume of my disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I extend the main volume of my disk?: I was dual-booting Ubuntu with Windows 10, but decided I no longer want Ubuntu on my SSD. I've deleted the contents of the partition, but I can't figure out how to extend the main partition to consume the extra unallocated space that was left behind after deleting the...