Windows 10: E drive not working

Discus and support E drive not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My E drive will not read CDs or allow me to burn to any new ones. Where do I go to check and see what the settings are, and what should that be set at?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Amadeus51 Win User

E drive not working

My E drive will not read CDs or allow me to burn to any new ones. Where do I go to check and see what the settings are, and what should that be set at?

:)

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018

2. HP Drive E doesn't recognize disc after Win 10 upgrade.

I did and drive E still asks for a disc to be inserted. My diagnostics say the drive E is working. I tried various discs including those that I have previously used. My PC recognizes drive E, but will not read.

mark j levine, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Big blue question mark over E:\ PathE drive not working :Desktop drive box

Tried your suggestion didn't work turns out E: is my usb drive my son somehow deleted the E: with the big blue ? My E: drive works fine. Thanks, for trying to help me it never gave me the option to delete it.

FavorMary007, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

E drive not working

Most likely a mechanical/electrical failure. Check and re-seat all connecting cables. Does it sound like it's trying to load a disk when you put one in? Does it appear in Device Manager? If so, does it have a yellow warning against it?

This is HP's checklist of other things you could look at (before deciding it's really dead and replacing it).
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

Bree, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Amadeus51 Win User
    The device manager lists a DVD/CD drives, I assume that's it. No, it does not make in sound when I put a disc in, it just says insert a disc and then the drawer opens again. It hasn't worked right since I got the computer a little over a year ago. I will try the checklist.

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Amadeus51 Win User
    Is there a simpler solution? I read thru the checklist and understood none of it. It was written by computer experts for computer experts.

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Bree, Jan 9, 2018
  8. Amadeus51 Win User

E drive not working

That is much easier to understand. I'll look into a driver cleaner while I'm out this afternoon, I will be near a store that sells such things anyway.

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018
  9. Amadeus51 Win User
    Okay, I DL and installed some new drivers. I was just able to read one CD and burn to a new one, altho' a third disc didn't work. For the moment I seem to be fine. I will look into the CD cleaner idea. Thanks for your help.

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    OK, looks like the hardware is functional (though maybe in need of a clean). It's equally possible that your third disc may just have been a bad one. Try a selection of commercial CDs and/or DVDs that you know will play in other drives.

11. Amadeus51 Win User
    It played the last DVD I put in it, but isn't accepting the music CD I just put in. I did buy the disc cleaner. It's made for DVD players but is supposed to clean computers as well. We'll see.

Amadeus51, Jan 9, 2018
  12. spunk Win User
    Optical drives have separate lasers for each operation. There is a laser that reads and writes CD's and one that reads and writes DVD's. Your CD reading laser may be failing. First, try the CD cleaner. If it still fails, then you can replace the whole drive for not much money. Available on Amazon or Ebay. Go to Youtube to see a video on how to replace.

spunk, Jan 9, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

E drive not working

I can confirm that a drive's CD laser can die but it will still work normally with DVDs. I have one drive that has lost its ability to read CDs, fortunately it's the drive in the DVD player connected to my TV, so it's no great loss.

Both lasers use the same lens, so a cleaning disc designed for DVDs will be equally effective.

14. Amadeus51 Win User
    Just put in a document CD that was burned on a previous computer. It acknowledged that the CD was there, and showed a list of contents, but when I tried to open a file, it came up with "Not Responding" and basically locked down the computer until I ejected the disc.

Amadeus51, Jan 10, 2018
  15. Amadeus51 Win User
    Here's an update. I put in the CD I burned to yesterday. It's a CD-RW, and the CD opened so I could see the contents. When I tried to add more content, it froze up the drive and then refused to acknowledge the disc. I put in the disc cleaner CD. It doesn't seem to notice that it's in the drive. Okay, I just put the new CD I burned yesterday back in. It opened, showed me the menu. When I tried to add the new data, it said the disc might be unusable. Funny, it was usable when I burned it yesterday, I know it's not full. I also get a not responding when I try to burn. I notice itwhirrs when it's working, but doesn't when it's not. There is also a piece that slides back and forth at the front of the tray, does it matter where that piece is when I put the CD in?

Amadeus51, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

E drive not working

1. E drive not working - Similar Threads - drive working

2. External Hard Drive suddenly not working and all files seemingly disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive suddenly not working and all files seemingly disappeared.: When in a rush I simply unplugged my external drive which contains all of my games without ejecting, as the normal prompt that comes up after clicking on "Safely remove hardware and eject media" was not appearing. Since then when I plug my drive in and attempt to open Steam,...
  3. External Hard Drive suddenly not working and all files seemingly disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive suddenly not working and all files seemingly disappeared.: When in a rush I simply unplugged my external drive which contains all of my games without ejecting, as the normal prompt that comes up after clicking on "Safely remove hardware and eject media" was not appearing. Since then when I plug my drive in and attempt to open Steam,...
  4. one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is...: one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is not connected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-is-not-working-on-my-pc-having-window-7/13e75392-6abb-4fa0-941e-a45059a7f55f
  5. one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is...

one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is...: one drive is not working on my pc having window 7 pro window. it is showing one drive is not connected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-is-not-working-on-my-pc-having-window-7/13e75392-6abb-4fa0-941e-a45059a7f55f
  6. One drive isn't working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive isn't working: One Drive quite working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-isnt-working/a15b5343-f9ba-4707-95ac-a32cb3304b6d
  7. One drive isn't working

One drive isn't working: One Drive quite working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-isnt-working/a15b5343-f9ba-4707-95ac-a32cb3304b6d
  8. One drive isn't working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. old Acer laptop Windows 7 home premium works A+ flawless. inop D drive disabled says...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old Acer laptop Windows 7 home premium works A+ flawless. inop D drive disabled says...: I put the whole story in the header need to disable a error message not relevant to life on earth. My D drive not worked in eons and life goes on fine. I backup per the request OR to a fine flash drive.need to disable the error message "There is no media in the drive" but it...
  10. old Acer laptop Windows 7 home premium works A+ flawless. inop D drive disabled says...

old Acer laptop Windows 7 home premium works A+ flawless. inop D drive disabled says...: I put the whole story in the header need to disable a error message not relevant to life on earth. My D drive not worked in eons and life goes on fine. I backup per the request OR to a fine flash drive.need to disable the error message "There is no media in the drive" but it...