Windows 10: E drive scan-check for errors

Discus and support E drive scan-check for errors in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HI,When going thru my monthly clean up and opimisation, I came across the attached on a non-primary drive.It IS an SSD, I researched and a number of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lethal42, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Lethal42 Win User

E drive scan-check for errors

HI,When going thru my monthly clean up and opimisation, I came across the attached on a non-primary drive.It IS an SSD, I researched and a number of advises correlated into running checkdsk as an admin of course, with '/f /r', after the drive...on a reboot.It found a corrected a number of errors, however the message is still being displayed. If anyone KNOWS how to resolve this, I would be most appreciative and of course more than interested.cheers

:)

Lethal42, Jul 19, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error: problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it when connecting an HD drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get a clear picture of the issue, we will need the following details:

• When exactly are you receiving the error message?
    • Have you tried connecting the drive to any other USB port?
    • Are you able to access the drive on any other computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer and the HD drive?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

You can scan the drive for errors by following the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Right click on the HD Drive and select
      Properties.
    4. Click on Tools tab, under
      Error Checking
      click on Check. This will scan the drive for error and fix them.
    Note: If any bad sectors are found on the hard drive while Windows try to repair the sectors, data on the sectors might be lost.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - X Scan drive for errors - which drive??

Hi Allan,

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. Did you make any changes to the system prior to the issue?

2. Do you have any third party security software installed in the computer?

3. Was the scan completed successfully?

I suggest you to try scanning the drives for error by following the steps below and check again.

1. Press Windows key + E.

2. Click "This PC".

3. Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

4. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click
    Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Depending on the size of your drive, this might take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it is checking for errors.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jul 19, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Jul 19, 2021
Thema:

1. E drive scan-check for errors - Similar Threads - drive scan check

2. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  3. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  4. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Checking and repairing E drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Checking and repairing E drive?: My partner has a windows 10 pc only six months old, hardly used. recently when the pc starts there is a message saying checking and repairing E drive which takes ages, he says 10 mins, eventually pc starts as normal. I think at some stage perhaps he switched off incorrectly....
  6. Checking and repairing E drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Checking and repairing E drive?: My partner has a windows 10 pc only six months old, hardly used. recently when the pc starts there is a message saying checking and repairing E drive which takes ages, he says 10 mins, eventually pc starts as normal. I think at some stage perhaps he switched off incorrectly....
  7. "Error Checking" stuck on "Scanning and reporting..."

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Error Checking" stuck on "Scanning and reporting...": Recently I got a 2TB external hard drive from Amazon that seemed to have fairly good reviews. When I got it, it seemed to work fine, but what I didn't know was that the hard drive was corrupted. Don't know how, since I got it brand new. I'm not an expert on external hard...
  8. Scan for drive errors

Scan for drive errors: I had recently experienced a problem with my device. I am unable to understand why it is happening. Initially i got a notification regarding the "scan drive for errors, restart to fix", when i restarted my device it says, repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to...
  9. how to scan a local drive e

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to scan a local drive e: how to scan a local drive e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-scan-a-local-drive-e/5ffd505e-4460-4715-a2dc-724dde84aef7
  10. my e drive needs to be scanned.

my e drive needs to be scanned.: My laptop wont read my 16gb SanDisk. The error message is to scan the drive. How to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-e-drive-needs-to-be-scanned/45fc9631-71ad-4cea-9ce8-88d5e3c3527d