Windows 10: Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

Discus and support Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 5 updates, five restarting everything from my pinned icons, my folder for desktop art and favorites in windows; pretty much my entire set up everytime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ecklesw2002, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

5 updates, five restarting everything from my pinned icons, my folder for desktop art and favorites in windows; pretty much my entire set up everytime it resets. Why - is there a fix outside of download before hitting reset for a mundane security patch; this has only started happening in last two months...

:)

ecklesw2002, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Mr Ed Win User
    Update History Not Displaying Latest Update

If nothing shows in update history, try clicking on 'uninstall updates'. Sometimes this list is more complete. Having said that, I have nothing new in either list. Bree

Thanks, Bree. I followed your suggestion and it worked. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history :)

Mr Ed, Oct 9, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

1. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history - Similar Threads - Each update restart

2. My HWID Changes after each restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    My HWID Changes after each restart: I have normal Windows 10, paid and everything purchased from microsoft. Everytime I restart my PC my HWID changes Here are my specs just in case they do anything 1TB WD Blue Desktop HDD Crucial M500 SSD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU MSI ARMOR RX 580 GPU MSI B450 TOMAHAWK...
  3. The desktop takes ages to load after each update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The desktop takes ages to load after each update: I have had windows 10 for a while. However, a while ago, the desktop often takes ages to load after update. When I switch my laptop on, it is pretty quick to get onto the login screen. After logging in, a black screen comes on for ages (10 minutes or so) before the desktop is...
  4. File History restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History restart: Although its working fine now, I fear that the external drive I'm using for File History may fail someday. I've currently been using the same drive for over two years and have 306GB in its FileHistory folder. To be cautious, I'd like to restart the File History process on a...
  5. MS Pen Loses Connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Pen Loses Connection: Hello, I have a Surface Book 2 and just bought a MS Surface Pen. I have successfully connected it via Bluetooth to the PV, and have been able to launch apps via one click or double click just fine. However, when I switch to tablet mode, or undock my screen and re-dock it...
  6. installed Updates 1809 - But I do Not get prompt to Restart... In update History says...

installed Updates 1809 - But I do Not get prompt to Restart... In update History says...: I installed Updates 1809 - But I do Not get prompt to Restart... In update History says restart to finish installing... I RESTARTED BUT NOTHING HAPPEN NOT FINISHED SINCE VERSION IN RUN winver is 17134.320 - 1803 well ... can you help.... ? [ATTACH]...
  7. Update history shows it requires a restart (KB4041676)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update history shows it requires a restart (KB4041676): Windows update history still keeps showing it requires a restart to finish installing this update (KB4041676). After numerous times restarting it never goes away, did a System File Checker and DISM no problems. The Windows Version is what it should be after this update...
  8. losing MS Word

in Windows 10 Support
    losing MS Word: I don't want anything to do with MS Word. I have Word Perfect on my computer. Every document wants to open in MS Word. I know how to click a document, then right click, and then choose Word Perfect, but I don't want to go through all that every time I want to open a document....
  9. Lose desktop once in awhile

in Windows 10 Support
    Lose desktop once in awhile: Every once in awhile I lose my desktop which turns black and have no taskbar or icons. When this happens windows explorer appears and my gadgets are still showing and my mouse pointer shows and works. Outlook 2007 is still running ok as I hear incoming emails. My PC has a...
  10. Will I lose my license?

Will I lose my license?: So, I currently have a Windows 10 Pro license upgraded from Windows 8.1. If I buy a new SSD, and install Windows 10 using the same CD-Key which my current Windows 10 has (no other hardware change, only SSD) will that work or will I have to buy a new license? 59237