Windows 10: Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

Discus and support Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 5 updates, five restarting everything from my pinned icons, my folder for desktop art and favorites in windows; pretty much my entire set up everytime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ecklesw2002, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

5 updates, five restarting everything from my pinned icons, my folder for desktop art and favorites in windows; pretty much my entire set up everytime it resets. Why - is there a fix outside of download before hitting reset for a mundane security patch; this has only started happening in last two months...

:)

ecklesw2002, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Mr Ed Win User
    Update History Not Displaying Latest Update

If nothing shows in update history, try clicking on 'uninstall updates'. Sometimes this list is more complete. Having said that, I have nothing new in either list. Bree

Thanks, Bree. I followed your suggestion and it worked. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history :)

Mr Ed, Oct 9, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history

1. Each MS update, I restart and lose my desktop and history - Similar Threads - Each update restart

2. MS Paint update history?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS Paint update history?: Dear allWhere can I see the MS Paint update history? And a description / content of these updates?The MS Paint that is auto-included in Windows.On Wikipedia I can only see the lastest version / stable release.Thank you...
  3. MS Paint update history?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Paint update history?: Dear allWhere can I see the MS Paint update history? And a description / content of these updates?The MS Paint that is auto-included in Windows.On Wikipedia I can only see the lastest version / stable release.Thank you...
  4. MS Paint update history?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Restart freezes desktop after each Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart freezes desktop after each Windows 11 update: Since moving to Windows 11 Pro 22H2 OS Build 22621.900, every time I click Restart after a Windows update, my desktop freezes during the restart process.Windows completes the installation, then mouse and keyboard get disconnected, screen goes dark, but the system doesn't...
  6. Restart freezes desktop after each Windows 11 update

Restart freezes desktop after each Windows 11 update: Since moving to Windows 11 Pro 22H2 OS Build 22621.900, every time I click Restart after a Windows update, my desktop freezes during the restart process.Windows completes the installation, then mouse and keyboard get disconnected, screen goes dark, but the system doesn't...
  7. Update causing Windows to restart fresh each restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update causing Windows to restart fresh each restart: MS performed 2 updates for Windows 10 concerning .Net and Adobe last night and since then all changes in apps and office are not saved, and the PC reverts back to the status right after the update. This update is found under Other Updates. How can I get out this situation?...
  8. MS Store Keeps installing Onenote each update

MS Store Keeps installing Onenote each update: Any idea why this keeps happening, keeps installing Onenote each day, but modified date stays the same 12/25/2020, my last clean install time when i clean installed on my new m.2 boot drive. 172321
  9. Each time the pc restarts I have to reload each app and restore the entire desktop...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Each time the pc restarts I have to reload each app and restore the entire desktop...: Each time the pc restarts I have to reload each app and restore the entire desktop manually. I also have to set up each app and re set up all app settings. After each reboot, the pc has me re-setup and redo all settings for everything including Google and Office settings....
  10. losing MS Word

in Windows 10 Support
    losing MS Word: I don't want anything to do with MS Word. I have Word Perfect on my computer. Every document wants to open in MS Word. I know how to click a document, then right click, and then choose Word Perfect, but I don't want to go through all that every time I want to open a document....