Windows 10: Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

Discus and support Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Each time I boot up, my desktop icon arrangement changes. Sometimes they are lined up in two columns on the left side of the desktop which is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SteveOgden2, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

Each time I boot up, my desktop icon arrangement changes.
    Sometimes they are lined up in two columns on the left side of the desktop which is the normal default arrangement.
    Other times they are spread out and spaced far apart in a grid across the entire desktop.
    When they are like that spread out in grid there is nothing I can do to change their arrangement.
    Auto arrange or Align in the desktop right-click view menu have no effect.
    The only way I can get them back to normal is to reboot.

But if I reboot again, they end up spread out across the screen again.

I have tried most suggestions found here through step 6 but no luck:

Fix Desktop Icons Keep Rearranging in Windows 10 - TechCult

I even found a newer version of my display driver and installed thinking that would surely do it, but it didn't.

This is a new laptop HP Spectre x360 14-ea, with fresh install of windows 10 last week. Checked with HP and they want me to do a full recovery to factory unit state which seems like overkill. There must be a simpler fix for this. Any ideas?

:)

SteveOgden2, Feb 25, 2021

2. Desktop Icons Rearrange after Reboot

Hi Fernando,

There are several causes of this problem. It might be the display settings, outdated graphic drivers, or themes allowed on the desktop icons. Since this problem happens every after Windows update, we recommend performing some troubleshooting steps that are
    applicable for the issue. We suggest that you follow these methods on how to fix this problem:

Method 1: Uncheck Align icons to grid option on your desktop.

• Right-click on the desktop
    • Select View and then untick Align icons to grid
      option.

Method 2: Prevent themes to change desktop icons.

• On Cortana search, type themes and related settings.
    • Choose Themes and related settings from the list.
    • Under Related settings, click on Desktop icon settings.
    • Untick Allow themes to change desktop icons.
    • Click on Apply and then click on OK.

Method 3: Download the latest video or graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Gerard Qui, Feb 25, 2021
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Nick89 Win User

Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

Program that saves the location of Desktop icons?

Are there any programs that will save the locations of my desktop icons? every time I play a game or my computer goes to sleep they get all f*&^ed up and its pissing me off.

Thanks in advance.

Nick89, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations

1. Each reboot causes desktop icons to change locations - Similar Threads - Each reboot causes

2. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  3. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  4. Windows 10 rearranges icons after each reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 rearranges icons after each reboot: Hi, recently (probably since I've cleaned my PC mouse without unplugging it and clicked unintentionally here and there) my Windows 10 (build 19041.746) automatically rearranges icons after each reboot and it seems that also after playing a game. I tried various methods to...
  5. Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart: Ok, so I just updated my version of Windows 10 to 20h2 a few days ago. Since then however, I have had an odd issue. The icon for "This PC" keeps moving to a different location upon start up. This is the only icon that moves, and I never had this issue before the update. I've...
  6. Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.: So I have 3 different monitors a Samsung g7 which is 1440p, an Asus VG278 which is 1080p, and an old insignia tv which is 1080p which I am running with my 2060. I have set my Samsung g7 to be my primary screen and had set up my desktop shortcuts for it but when I turn it on...
  7. Desktop icons location changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons location changes: Hello everyone, I have a PC running Windows 10 Professional. Since the last 2-3 days I have observed that my desktop icons arrangement changes after I either reboot my PC or take my PC on remote support. I use teamviewer on my PC and frequently access my PC from home. I...
  8. Desktop icons changed...

Desktop icons changed...: Suddenly, most of my desktop file/folder icons have acquired two opposing blue arrows in the top-right corner of the icon. What does this mean? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changed/dedee99f-72a0-47a7-bb61-d514efd0e8c4
  9. Desktop display...icon location

Desktop display...icon location: I like to separate my icons into categories. However, recently all icons moved to the left side of the screen and I can not change any icon locations. How to I correct this so I can relocate the icon position on the desktop?...
  10. Changing Icons On Desktop

Changing Icons On Desktop: Hello, all. Is there a way to change to icons on the desktop from stock image to something custom, like a picture? If not a picture, then just a different icon? I am mainly thinking of the folders with their generic folder icons. Thanks for the feedback. bug 94787