Windows 10: Earbuds mic not working

Discus and support Earbuds mic not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, After plugging my earbuds mic combo into my laptop, the recording device is not being switched over and the laptop mic is still being used.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HenryParsnip, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Earbuds mic not working

Hello,

After plugging my earbuds mic combo into my laptop, the recording device is not being switched over and the laptop mic is still being used.

Ive searched the forums and tried,

Updating drivers, all good.

Checking the earbuds work on another device, yep.

Opening sound settings and running the troubleshooter, this checks the laptops mic and all is good. Doesnt troubleshoot the earbuds mic.

Opened sound control panel and recording tab to check microphone is selected as default. Right click properties shows the jack information which is a digital jack. The other option I have in the recording tab is stereo mix which is disabled by default. Ive tried to enable and use this but then not even the laptop mic works.

Nothing changes in properties or device manager when I plug the headphones in.

The Jack is a combo jack.

Configuring mic only configures the laptop mic.

Troubleshooting results below

Recording Audio
    Publisher details
    Potential issues that were checked
    Audio enhancements didn’t load

Issue not present
    One or more audio service isn't running
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running.

Issue not present
    Audio services not responding

Issue not present
    Audio device is disabled
    Audio device is disabled
    The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows.

Issue not present
    Audio device muted
    Audio device muted
    Audio can't play if the device is muted.

Issue not present
    Audio device isn't set as default
    The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer.

Issue not present
    Audio format not set to default

Issue not present
    The microphone or headset is unplugged
    An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound.

Issue not present
    Potential issues that were checked
    Detection details
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running.
    Issue not present
    Audio device is disabled
    Issue not present
    The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows.
    Device state
    State information about the audio device.
    State: Enabled
    Status code: 1
    Help link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363230(VS.85).aspx
    Audio device muted
    Issue not present
    Audio can't play if the device is muted.
    Issue not present
    The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer.
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound.
    Detection details
    Audio endpoint
    Type of audio device being diagnosed.
    Endpoint: Capture
    Installed audio devices
    This file contains the details stored in the registry for all installed audio devices.
    File Name: Registry log.txt
    Collection information
    Computer Name: OLDFAITHFUL
    Windows Version:
    Architecture:
    x64
    Time:
    01 October 2018 19:55:48
    Publisher details
    Sound
    Troubleshoot problems that prevent your computer from playing or recording sound.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows
    Recording Audio
    Find and fix problems with recording sound.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Corporation
    Hardware and Devices
    Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows

Any ideas appreciated.

Model: DELL INSPIRON 15 7567 15.6" i5-7300HQ Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400MHZ
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1TB
    Operating System Edition: 64-BIT
    Operating System: WINDOWS 10
    Graphics Processing Type: NVIDIA GEFORCE 10 SERIES PASCAL GTX 1050 4GB-GDDR5 Processor Type: INTEL CORE i5 7th GEN.
    Product Line: ASUS /INTEL 7th GEN i5 KABYLAKE Brand: DELL
    Type: NOTEBOOK/LAPTOP 15.6" i5-7300HQ
    Processor Speed: 3.50GHz SSD Capacity: 256GB M.2 SSD

:)

HenryParsnip, Oct 1, 2018
  2. legoj14 Win User

Earbud mic not working

I recently got some red Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds. My headset broke, so I needed a temporary placeholder for a mic. I thought the mic on the earbuds would work out. They don't. I plugged them into the microphone jack on my computer, and I cannot get it to
    pick anything up. It does pick something up when I shake it, but not when I speak or blow into it.

The thing is, it doesn't seem like it's the earbuds that are the problem. The microphone works perfectly fine on my phone. It just doesn't work on PC. Any help?

legoj14, Oct 1, 2018
  3. Windbrand Win User
    Laptop won't detect built-in mic on headsets/earbuds

I'm running Windows 10 home on a Lenovo Ideapad laptop, and it doesn't detect the mic on any of my headsets/earbuds. I can hear playback fine on my headsets/earbuds, but it can't speak through them, since it insists on using the laptop's internal mic. This results in my typing/mouse clicks all being captured on audio.

• In sound properties recording tab, I just see "microphone (Realtek high def audio)" and "stereo mix (Realtek high def audio)"
    • In sound properties playback tab, I just see "speakers (Realtek high def audio)", yet I hear audio fine on my headsets/earbuds?
    • In device manager, it doesn't detect a headset either, displays the same list as the recording tab
    So do all 3 of my headsets/earbuds have some kind of "plug and play but stays invisible to the OS" feature? One of them is the default Apple earbuds, I'm 100% sure there's a mic on there and these are brand new, so they aren't broken. Are these not supposed to appear as a "headset" device with the headset icon in sound properties?

Windbrand, Oct 1, 2018
  4. Earbuds mic not working

Windows 10 Bootcamp Installation: Mic isn't appearing

I have a Mac Mini with two audio jacks, one I use for headphones. I use apple earbuds, and they've always worked as a mic for Skype calls. Recently, I've installed Windows 10 on my Mac using Boot-camp, and the mic in my earbuds isn't working. The audio works
    fine, but the mic does not register. After some troubleshooting, I found the "recording devices" tab in Device Manager, and I found that my earbuds do not even appear on the list. It says Line-In (not connected) and Digital Audio. I've seen a lot of help suggesting
    to update the drivers, but how can I update the drivers if the earbuds don't even appear? Is it a hardware issue? Thanks!

UPDATE: I also tried plugging a USB Blue Snowball mic in--same problem.

WillVan de Walle, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

Earbuds mic not working

1. Earbuds mic not working - Similar Threads - Earbuds mic working

2. Earbud mic shows connectivity but not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Earbud mic shows connectivity but not working: I am using the mic from Apple Earbuds and one day I pulled the earbuds out from my laptop and the mic stopped working. I have multiple pairs and none of them work. The mic connects but just does not pick up any sound. I have tried trouble shooting and also updating drivers...
  3. Earbud mic shows connectivity but not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Earbud mic shows connectivity but not working: I am using the mic from Apple Earbuds and one day I pulled the earbuds out from my laptop and the mic stopped working. I have multiple pairs and none of them work. The mic connects but just does not pick up any sound. I have tried trouble shooting and also updating drivers...
  4. Earbud Mic Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Earbud Mic Not Working: I recently bought a oneplus wireless earbud it was working fine before, but now my laptop says the microphone isn't plugged in.I tried using my earbud with another laptop or phone,microphone seems to work well.i tried using sound settings to configure it but there it says...
  5. Earbuds w/ mic for Win 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Earbuds w/ mic for Win 10?: I’m on Zoom now for class and have had major issues getting my current earbuds to work with Windows 10 and need help. I have apple earbuds w/ mic. with a 3.5 mm that plugs into my laptop (Dell). However, my computer will only recognize the headphone part and not the mic.....
  6. Built in Laptop mic, only works when earbuds are not plugged in.

Built in Laptop mic, only works when earbuds are not plugged in.: Lenova legion laptop running windows 10. I want to use ear buds on my lap top but still use my laptop's builtin mic for speaking. This use to work fine even with these particular earbuds but suddenly it is not. This problem has happened to be in the past and seems to...
  7. Earbuds with mic not working in windows 10, please help.

Earbuds with mic not working in windows 10, please help.: So I'm trying to get my earbuds with mic to work on my computer so I can listen with ears and talk with mic at the same time. I have a port on my pc that has a mic icon and a earphone icon together. I thought if I connected it to that it would work but it does not. A pop up...
  8. Earbuds with mic not working in windows 10, please help.

in Windows 10 Support
    Earbuds with mic not working in windows 10, please help.: So I'm trying to get my earbuds with mic to work on my computer so I can listen with ears and talk with mic at the same time. I have a port on my pc that has a mic icon and a earphone icon together. I thought if I connected it to that it would work but it does not. A pop up...
  9. Using the Built-In Mic Instead of Earbud Mic

Using the Built-In Mic Instead of Earbud Mic: Hi all, I've had this problem for a while now where no matter what kind of earbuds I'm wearing, the default recording device is always the built-in microphone on my laptop. I've opened up recording settings and I don't see a specific device listed as the in-line mic built...
  10. Earbud mic not working

Earbud mic not working: I recently got some red Skullcandy Ink'd earbuds. My headset broke, so I needed a temporary placeholder for a mic. I thought the mic on the earbuds would work out. They don't. I plugged them into the microphone jack on my computer, and I cannot get it to pick anything up. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. earbud mic not working on discord