Windows 10: Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

Discus and support Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all! Sorry for another help post to flood this sub, with r/techsupport down I came here. I recently got this nifty usb flash drive from a friend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nomercy57, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

Hey all! Sorry for another help post to flood this sub, with r/techsupport down I came here.

I recently got this nifty usb flash drive from a friend for secret Santa. Windows says ~250GB of storage, which I am very skeptical of, especially due to how cheap it is on Amazon. How can I check the legitimacy of this drive and it’s storage without having to download 250 gigs of files?

submitted by /u/nomercy57
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nomercy57, Dec 26, 2020
  2. Mayra Aqu Win User

CD to flash drive

Hi Pam,

There are several ways to copy your pictures from the CD to the Flash drive. One of which is by using the shortcut keys to copy and paste it.

We suggest following the steps below:

• Insert the CD and flash drive to your PC.
    • Use Cortana and type File Explorer then click it.
    • Choose This PC.
    • Open the CD drive.
    • If all the pictures are in a specific folder, press Ctrl + A
      on your keyboard to automatically choose all the pictures then, press Ctrl + C to copy it.
    • Afterwards, Open the Flash drive, choose the location where you want to copy the pictures then press
      Ctrl + V to paste it.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Mayra Aqu, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Copying movie to Flash Drive

Hi Todd,

One way on how to save and move files to a flash drive is by using the File Explorer in Windows 10. To assist you with your concern, to save your movie file to a flash drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Connect your USB flash drive to your PC.
    • Navigate to the folder or location where you save your movie files.
    • Right-click on the movie file and select
      Copy
    • Right-click on the Start menu, and select
      File Explorer.
    • On the left-pane, double-click on This PC.
    • Double-click on the drive letter that correspond to your USB flash drive.
    • Right-click and select Paste.
    • Wait for the process to complete the transfer.
    • Once you’re done, you can safely remove your USB flash drive.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

Thema:

Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

1. Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive? - Similar Threads - Easiest check legitimacy

2. Short of removing the flash drive, is there a way to stop Error Checking USB Disk, as the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Short of removing the flash drive, is there a way to stop Error Checking USB Disk, as the...: The CANCEL button in the dialog box does not function. I tried 10 times to get it to work -but no luck. I had to remove the flash drive as I had to go to a doctor appointment....
  3. Short of removing the flash drive, is there a way to stop Error Checking USB Disk, as the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Short of removing the flash drive, is there a way to stop Error Checking USB Disk, as the...: The CANCEL button in the dialog box does not function. I tried 10 times to get it to work -but no luck. I had to remove the flash drive as I had to go to a doctor appointment....
  4. textinputhost.exe legitimacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    textinputhost.exe legitimacy: I have a 2021 Asus Zephyrus G14 with AMD integrated graphics and Nvidia RTX3060 dedicated graphics. While on battery and supposedly only using the integrated graphics chip, I have an app called "textinputhost.exe" that is using the dedicated graphics. From researching, I see...
  5. Easiest way to reinstall window?

Easiest way to reinstall window?: Over the past few months my PC has had some really weird issues. I don't think these are an effect of a virus, I have run full scans using Windows defender, Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and haven't found anything that could have caused these issues. Because of this I am...
  6. Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?

Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?: So, my friend is selling me his old PC with a copy of Windows on it. It's obviously going to be a fresh install, however it's installed on an HDD. I've purchased an SSD to use as a boot drive, and I'll use the HDD for extra storage etc., you know the drill. I understand that...
  7. Easiest way to securely wipe laptop drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Easiest way to securely wipe laptop drive: I have a friend who's not very pc savvy and she needs to wipe her hard drive in an old laptop before she gives it away. Can anyone recommend an easy way she can do this? Something like plug in this USB stick and execute the program on it. It's Win7 on her machine. PS:...
  8. What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??: I have a measly 500Gb SSD 'C' Drive (Desktop PC), which has W10 on it and other general stuff. It's getting full. I just purchased a new 1Tb SSD. What's the easiest most painless way of swapping out the OS onto this new larger SSD?? I do have a backup of W10 current build on...
  9. Easiest way to block Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Easiest way to block Windows Updates: Hi all, I need three days of my life to setup a new computer with Win 10 Pro AU and now it's pretty fine (or almost...). Said that, I am really afraid that some "forced" update will destroy my spare time again so I want to AVOID Windows Update to update my computer....
  10. Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive: I have two drives with files on them and want to make one drive A inactive(remove windows) so that I can make the other drive have windows 10. What is the easiest way to do that without removing or formating Drive A. 20832