Windows 10: Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive

Discus and support Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two drives with files on them and want to make one drive A inactive(remove windows) so that I can make the other drive have windows 10. What is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jim77, Sep 2, 2015.

1. jim77 Win User

Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive

I have two drives with files on them and want to make one drive A inactive(remove windows) so that I can make the other drive have windows 10. What is the easiest way to do that without removing or formating Drive A.

:)

jim77, Sep 2, 2015

2. Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from a drive without removing my personal files and not formating

I have two drives with files on them and want to make one drive A inactive(remove windows) so that I can make the other drive have windows 10. What is the easiest way to do that without removing or formating Drive A.

HerbertMcDonald, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Vijay B Win User
    Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from a drive without removing my personal files and not formating

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

There is no option to remove Windows and boot files from a drive without removing my personal files. You have to take a backup of all the personal data and Format the drive.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Sep 2, 2015
  4. BReeves Win User

Delete the partitions on the drive.

BReeves, Sep 2, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    But....does the OP want to erase the entire drive, or just Windows and what would make the Windows 10 install think it is the boot drive?

You don't want to erase the drive because you have data on it that you want to save? First, you need to post us what partitions are on the drive as shown in Disk Management. Type "create and format" in windows search and the top app that shows should be disk management.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Easiest way to remove Windows and boot files from drive - Similar Threads - Easiest remove boot

2. Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11: Too many bugs, and zero support options with the newly mangled help.microsoft.com. Nobody will call you back, and the chat is worthless. If you start over it throws back the same chat. I dont even get a chance to wait on hold for hours like I used too. Q: Do we have to give...
  3. Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11: Too many bugs, and zero support options with the newly mangled help.microsoft.com. Nobody will call you back, and the chat is worthless. If you start over it throws back the same chat. I dont even get a chance to wait on hold for hours like I used too. Q: Do we have to give...
  4. Easiest way to reinstall window?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easiest way to reinstall window?: Over the past few months my PC has had some really weird issues. I don't think these are an effect of a virus, I have run full scans using Windows defender, Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and haven't found anything that could have caused these issues. Because of this I am...
  5. Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?

Easiest way to check the legitimacy of a flash drive?: Hey all! Sorry for another help post to flood this sub, with r/techsupport down I came here. I recently got this nifty usb flash drive from a friend for secret Santa. Windows says ~250GB of storage, which I am very skeptical of, especially due to how cheap it is on Amazon....
  6. Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?

Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?: So, my friend is selling me his old PC with a copy of Windows on it. It's obviously going to be a fresh install, however it's installed on an HDD. I've purchased an SSD to use as a boot drive, and I'll use the HDD for extra storage etc., you know the drill. I understand that...
  7. Easiest way to securely wipe laptop drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Easiest way to securely wipe laptop drive: I have a friend who's not very pc savvy and she needs to wipe her hard drive in an old laptop before she gives it away. Can anyone recommend an easy way she can do this? Something like plug in this USB stick and execute the program on it. It's Win7 on her machine. PS:...
  8. Fastest and easiest way to tag multiple files?

Fastest and easiest way to tag multiple files?: I'm a long-time MacOS power user who has decided to give Windows 10 a try for a number of reasons, one of them is that Apple has done a very poor job of putting out compelling hardware for the last couple of years. I made good use of tags in MacOS, but I'm finding it...
  9. What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??: I have a measly 500Gb SSD 'C' Drive (Desktop PC), which has W10 on it and other general stuff. It's getting full. I just purchased a new 1Tb SSD. What's the easiest most painless way of swapping out the OS onto this new larger SSD?? I do have a backup of W10 current build on...
  10. Easiest way to block Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Easiest way to block Windows Updates: Hi all, I need three days of my life to setup a new computer with Win 10 Pro AU and now it's pretty fine (or almost...). Said that, I am really afraid that some "forced" update will destroy my spare time again so I want to AVOID Windows Update to update my computer....