Windows 10: Easily copy files without changing file dates

Discus and support Easily copy files without changing file dates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Another really annoying issue. I, like so many others if not everyone, want to copy files with Explorer and keep the original file dates. So simple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bob Wilkinson, May 14, 2020.

1. Easily copy files without changing file dates

Another really annoying issue. I, like so many others if not everyone, want to copy files with Explorer and keep the original file dates. So simple and basic but it seems I have use e.g. Robocopy or some other third party command line process. Why can't Explorer "just do it properly". Why would you ever want the Created date to change when copying files? Did no one think it was bonkers to have a Modify time that is before the Created time?

:)

Bob Wilkinson, May 14, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 14, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 14, 2020
  4. pintree3 Win User

Easily copy files without changing file dates

How2 CHange dates of a file--suggested software not good enough

I used SKTimeStamp to change the dates of a file. However, I noticed it could only change 3 dates:
    Date Created
    Last Modified
    Last Accessed
    A search for such a utility often suggests "BulkFileChanger (BFC)" which seems to do the exact same thing: only these 3 dates.
    However, if I right click on a file, for example a Word file, there 2 other dates listed:
    Content Created
    Date last Saved

Hence the above two utilities are not good enough. Is there a utility (or way) out there to change all dates including the last 2 mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

pintree3, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Easily copy files without changing file dates

1. Easily copy files without changing file dates - Similar Threads - Easily copy files

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. File date change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File date change: Last week I opened my onedrive to see the dates of 2 files have been altered. I looked at my sign in history that shows I uploaded and modified them in February I didn’t but strangely the IP address is the same. I tried to modify the dates on both my iOS app and PC Windows,...
  5. File date change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File date change: Last week I opened my onedrive to see the dates of 2 files have been altered. I looked at my sign in history that shows I uploaded and modified them in February I didn’t but strangely the IP address is the same. I tried to modify the dates on both my iOS app and PC Windows,...
  6. EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EML File Dates Change When Copying in Windows 10: I can't believe it, but this bug has existed since Windows 7and persists in Windows 10 in 2021. If you copy an EML file email format files with extension *.eml,Windows will change the modified date to the current date and time. So, if yousort your directories by date, these...
  7. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  8. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  9. Changing modification date without saving new data in file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing modification date without saving new data in file: In windows 10 the modified date changes as the last view date even if I don’t save the file when closing, I don’t want the date to change without modification. What can i do!? This happening in 3dsmax files...
  10. change date of a file

change date of a file: Please tell me how to change the creation date and modification date of a file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-date-of-a-file/bb7e76a2-aca7-46a3-b941-8e1cdd55cec1"