Windows 10: Easy fix for black screen on HDMI monitor after update.

Discus and support Easy fix for black screen on HDMI monitor after update. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Shutdown everything. Don't just switch your monitor off. Unplug it and plug it back in. Presto, problem solved.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trussman, Dec 16, 2018.

1. trussman Win User

Easy fix for black screen on HDMI monitor after update.

Shutdown everything. Don't just switch your monitor off. Unplug it and plug it back in. Presto, problem solved.

:)

trussman, Dec 16, 2018

2. External Monitor is detected, but black

My monitor was working perfectly this morning. I left for lunch and came back to a black screen. I've tried installing updates and the hdmi cord, but nothing has fixed this.

The monitor is detected, as I can drag windows over to it. It's just black. Any suggestions?

HeatherClark2, Dec 16, 2018
  3. Laptop monitor is black but HDMI to TV works

So, I seem to be having the opposite problem of most. After updating my laptop to windows 10 the laptop monitor basically does not work - it's as if the graphics card does not see it. When I turn the computer on it shows me the dell logo with options to
    open the boot settings, and it starts to show the graphics for loading windows and then just goes to a black screen. Like others I thought maybe it's the issue with thinking there's 2 monitors when there really are not because it's acting like my dual monitor
    work computer at start-up, but none of the listed fixes worked. I tried to plug the computer into the TV via an HDMI cable and that does work but the laptop monitor goes from a 'light' black to an 'off' black. Of course the computer at that point only thinks
    there's one monitor which is the TV when I go into the settings. I've tried every combination of plugging in and pulling out the HDMI at different points in the reboot process but I always end up in the same place of having to plug the laptop into the TV to
    use it. It's as if the Intel graphics doesn't see the laptop monitor as an option. I also tried to update the graphics drivers but it says there are no available updates. Anyone else have this problem and a suggested solution so I can move my laptop away
    from the TV?!

Greenturtle116, Dec 16, 2018
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Black borders on screen

Hi Lyn,

It is true that the challenges that you’re having with the black borders on your computer screen might be related to the Display Settings of your monitor just like what DaveM121 was suggesting. To better assist you with your concern, we need you to answer
    the following questions:

• Which type of display cable are you using? ( VGA, DVI, HDMI cable).
    • Were you able to update your display adapter drivers?
    Looking forward to your response.

Dyan Rey, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Easy fix for black screen on HDMI monitor after update. - Similar Threads - Easy fix black

2. How to fix black screen after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix black screen after windows update: Frustrated doesn't scratch the surface after over 15 hours trying to fix the disappearance of my desktop to only recover enough to be able to see task manager on an otherwise black screen. Asus X53E was running perfectly on an SSD that was cloned from HDD. No issues - none...
  3. How to fix black screen after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix black screen after windows update: Frustrated doesn't scratch the surface after over 15 hours trying to fix the disappearance of my desktop to only recover enough to be able to see task manager on an otherwise black screen. Asus X53E was running perfectly on an SSD that was cloned from HDD. No issues - none...
  4. How to Fix Black Screen "After" Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Fix Black Screen "After" Update?: My computer is updating and the black screen with spinning dots happened multiple times so I cannot update it. It was black screen with spinning dots before, in other words, it's loading, but after my computer went on stand by mode, it went like this. Please help, I cannot...
  5. How to Fix Black Screen "After" Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Black Screen "After" Update?: My computer is updating and the black screen with spinning dots happened multiple times so I cannot update it. It was black screen with spinning dots before, in other words, it's loading, but after my computer went on stand by mode, it went like this. Please help, I cannot...
  6. How to Fix Black Screen "After" Update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. HDMI Monitor keeps going black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI Monitor keeps going black: My monitor is going black but it's not my computer giving a black screen, my second monitor is working and I can clearly see my computer is fine. My monitor is also indicating that it has power and it is not going to sleep, the light that displays when the monitor is actively...
  8. W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in: In an attempt to connect to a Samsung external monitor the laptop screen goes black when HDMI cable is plugged in. I have checked the settings from the notifications-project - panel is set to laptop only. Is is perhaps stuck to monitor only in another place?...
  9. black screen on bootup, fixed by unplug and replug HDMI cable

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    black screen on bootup, fixed by unplug and replug HDMI cable: So every time I boot my computer, my monitor doesn't recognize that there's any signal coming from the computer and immediately goes into the "low power" / power saving mode. This is "fixed" by unplugging and plugging back in my HDMI cable from my graphics card, meaning the...
  10. After using HDMI cable to tv, monitor on laptop black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    After using HDMI cable to tv, monitor on laptop black: I have been using HDMI cable from laptop to tv without problem. However, since updating to Windows 10 whenever I use HDMI cable, after disconnecting my laptop screen is black, it is as though it does not recognize it's own monitor. I have had to restore latptop twice and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdmi black screen monitor pc fix