Windows 10: EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?

Discus and support EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive? in Cortana to solve the problem; I just indexed a 2 TB USB-attached, external hard drive on my Windows 10 Enterprise laptop. The indexing was added to the *.edb file located in... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Mark Lewiecki, Nov 26, 2018.

1. EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?

I just indexed a 2 TB USB-attached, external hard drive on my Windows 10 Enterprise laptop. The indexing was added to the *.edb file located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications. The process increased the size of the "Windows.edb" file by about 4 GB. There is lots of room on the external hard drive, but not much less free space on my C: drive, which is a 300GB SSD. Is there any way to put the indexing info on the drive that is being indexed? I.e. the *.edb file containing indexing info for Drive C: would be located on Drive C:, while the indexing info for Drive D: would be located on Drive D:.

The benefits of this approach would include:

* better use of limited SSD hard drive space

* "portable" index-based searching, e.g. if I plugged the removable drive into another system

Thanks

Mark Lewiecki

:)

Mark Lewiecki, Nov 26, 2018
  2. Rey Cam Win User

WINDOWS 10 EDB FILE KEEPS INCREASING

Hi James,

To know the windows update that may fix your issue with .edb files, we would like to know the current specifications of computer.

To know current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer,
    follow the steps below:

• Select the
      Startbutton.
    • Type
      About your PC.
    • Press
      Enterto find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Meanwhile, we could run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic For Search and Indexing issues.
    Kindly follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to change the index location and check if the large Windows.edb file still exists, Please perform the following steps to move the file:

• Enter Indexing Options into the Search field on the Start Menu.
    • Click on Indexing Options.
    • Click on Advanced at the bottom.
    • Click on Select New and specify a new location for your Windows.edb file.
    • Click on OK and wait until Windows restarted.
    • Check if issue persists.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if the issue was left unresolved, kindly get
    back to us with the answers to our inquiryso that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, Nov 26, 2018
  3. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Nov 26, 2018
  4. EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?

Windows 10 Index locations not all showing up in search

Hello,

There might be some settings missing or corrupted.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to remove the D drive from the indexing and run the indexing troubleshooter.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + X” to click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting” and click on “View all”.

• Click on “Search and Indexing” to run the troubleshooter.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check if this helps.

Method 2:

Re –build the indexing by adding the D drive and verify the result.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive?

1. EDB index search database file -- can I locate on a removable hard drive? - Similar Threads - EDB index search

2. Windows Search Index Database Not Backed Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index Database Not Backed Up: Whenever I perform a full disk image restore which uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service, it never restores the search index database. This means that it has to be rebuilt from scratch every time, which can take many hours.I can't find any exclusions for the folder:...
  3. Windows Search Index Database Not Backed Up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index Database Not Backed Up: Whenever I perform a full disk image restore which uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service, it never restores the search index database. This means that it has to be rebuilt from scratch every time, which can take many hours.I can't find any exclusions for the folder:...
  4. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Cortana
    Query Windows Search Indexing database: Hey guys,I broke one of my external HDDs yesterday, it fell to the floor and now its not being detected at all..Is there a way to query the Windows Search Indexing database to get a list of *G:/paths/file names* that were previously residing in drive letter "G" ?That way at...
  5. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Query Windows Search Indexing database: Hey guys,I broke one of my external HDDs yesterday, it fell to the floor and now its not being detected at all..Is there a way to query the Windows Search Indexing database to get a list of *G:/paths/file names* that were previously residing in drive letter "G" ?That way at...
  6. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  8. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  9. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows edb large file