Windows 10: eDellRoot Certificate Problem: Patch Available To Fix It Now ?

Discus and support eDellRoot Certificate Problem: Patch Available To Fix It Now ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Read about the Dell eDellRoot Certificate vulnerability problem. Also, a second similar one/problem, apparently. Really hard for me to go... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Robert11, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

eDellRoot Certificate Problem: Patch Available To Fix It Now ?

Hello,

Read about the Dell eDellRoot Certificate vulnerability problem.
    Also, a second similar one/problem, apparently.

Really hard for me to go thru All the steps that have been posted to remove it.
    Have a bit of trouble even using the basic stuff now, at my age.

Any idea when they will issue a simple one or two click "Patch" to fix it, like I believe they said they would ?

Is it available now ? Where ?

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Nov 24, 2015
  2. RickCP Win User

My virus program detected a virus and it was only removed partially. How do I finish removing CompromisedCert.C .

Detected threat is not a virus nor malware, but a vulnerable root certificate from Dell.

You may wish to contact
    Dell Support
    to learn about a recent security issue involving their root certificate (eDellRoot),
    installed by their
    Dell Foundation Services
    application, that unintentionally introduced a security vulnerability.

As already noted above, Win10Defender would detect this threat as:

Program:Win32/CompromisedCert.C, and should remove the compromised certificate from the Certificate
    Root Store, as well as the affected binaries that might re-install the vulnerable certificate.

However, if you are seeing this threat is only 'partially' removed, or a repeated detection of same, would suggest you follow

Dell instructions
    to permanently remove the certificate from your system.

In addition, from your reading of Dell Support article:
    Information on the eDellRoot and DSDTestProvider certificates and how to remove them from your Dell PC
    ; you may also note that during their investigation of the
    eDellRoot issue, they found out that their
    Dell System Detect (DSD)
    application and its DSDTestProvider root certificate had similar characteristics to eDellRoot.

However, you might probably have not been affected in the case of DSD, since users need to download the software proactively to interact with the Dell Support website, and the impact is limited to customers who used the
    'detect product' functionality on their support site between Oct. 20 and Nov. 24, 2015. On this latter date, the application was removed from the Dell Support site and a

replacement application
    without the certificate is now available.

In any event, Microsoft Antimalware would also detect this second certificate as:

Program:Win32/CompromisedCert.D.

Also, by performing Dell's (updated) manual removal option, you ensure that both eDellRoot and DSDTestProvider are removed from any folders where they may be stored. If you previously uninstalled eDellRoot, Dell Support recommends you go through the process
    again to ensure a thorough sweep.

Finally, to help protect customers from potentially fraudulent use of these unconstrained digital certificates, both certificates have been deemed no longer valid by Dell Inc, and although this issue does not result from an issue in any Microsoft product, Microsoft
    is nevertheless updating the Certificate Trust list (CTL) to remove the trust of these certificates and providing an update to help protect customers.

For further information please see:
    Microsoft Security Advisory 3119884 - Inadvertently Disclosed Digital Certificates Could Allow Spoofing

-Note: An automatic updater of certificate trust lists is included in Windows 10 and Windows 10 Version 1511 systems, so you might not need to take any action as these systems should be automatically protected.
    You can check the Application log in the Event Viewer for an entry with the following values:

- Source: CAPI2

- Level: Information

- Event ID: 4112

- Description: Successful auto update of disallowed certificate list with effective date: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 (or later).

Hope this helps.

RickCP, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Karl Louis Multimedia, Nov 24, 2015
  4. Borg 386 Win User

You can find it here.

Dell admits installing security hole on laptops, apologizes,offers fix - Windows 10 Forums

Unfortunately after you fix that there's yet another issue to deal with....

Dell in hot water again as second 'Superfish' root certificate surface - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Nov 24, 2015
  5. Robert11 Win User
    Hi,

The Patch you suggested worked well, and fast.
    Sure a lot easier than following 17 steps !

Any idea when the new Patch for the new problem will be available ?

Will it be posted here ? Where ?

Thanks again for all the help,
    Bob

Robert11, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Glad you got it sorted.

As soon as a patch is available for the second problem, I or someone will post it. There is a fix for the second problem available now, but thus far it involves manually removing it. Have a look at this article if you want to give it a try.

Second Dell Root Certificate Problem Discovered; How To Check For And Remove eDellRoot And DSDTestProvider Security Risks

Borg 386, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Borg 386 Win User
    Here's an update for you Robert:

Dell to fix flaw of its own making that puts its computers at risk - CNET

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. eDellRoot Certificate Problem: Patch Available To Fix It Now ? - Similar Threads - eDellRoot Certificate Problem

2. It's Patch Tuesday And Windows 11 23H2 Cumulative Update KB5032190 Is Now Available!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It's Patch Tuesday And Windows 11 23H2 Cumulative Update KB5032190 Is Now Available!: This Cumulative Update KB5032190 will bring your Windows 11 23H2 to Build OS 22631.2715 Please read entire post for information on this update....
  3. It's Patch Tuesday And Windows 11 23H2 Cumulative Update KB5032190 Is Now Available!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It's Patch Tuesday And Windows 11 23H2 Cumulative Update KB5032190 Is Now Available!: This Cumulative Update KB5032190 will bring your Windows 11 23H2 to Build OS 22631.2715 Please read entire post for information on this update....
  4. Problem with client certificate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with client certificate: Hi every oneI am currently having a problem with the certificate working on windows 10 and windows 11 clients. user after login and the computer shows this certificate even though no action has been taken. This error appears on many users in the domain, has anyone encountered...
  5. Patch KB4567523 not fixing printer problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Patch KB4567523 not fixing printer problem: Installed the Microsoft patch but printer still has error message and not printing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/patch-kb4567523-not-fixing-printer-problem/40cc9aff-f61d-40d4-b69e-5e1cfd47c28c
  6. Patch Tuesday Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Patch Tuesday Problems: I recently updated to the 2004 update with no issues. However, since the patch Tuesday update that was issued yesterday, my computer has been having serious problems out of the blue. Office apps won’t open (I tried to uninstall and reinstall, it won’t reinstall) Random...
  7. Problems with Certificates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems with Certificates: When I run certutil –store, all the certificates have the same data at the end of each entry, which is:- No key provider information Cannot find the certificate and private key for decryption I don’t think that this is correct, as I believe Windows has lost the location of...
  8. Microsoft’s Patch Tuesday update now available with fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Patch Tuesday update now available with fixes: Microsoft released its new set of Patch Tuesday updates for which is now available for all users. The latest updates comes with fixes for not less than 51 vulnerabilities which effects Windows operating system, Microsoft Edge and Office Suite. Microsoft recommends users to...
  9. autodiscover.msn.com certificate problem

in Browsers and Email
    autodiscover.msn.com certificate problem: Started getting this a couple of days ago, assume it is coming from my .msn email account when outlook checks for mail? Any guess's what might be causing this. Tx.. 91643
  10. With New Patch of Win 10 now all fixed

in Windows 10 Support
    With New Patch of Win 10 now all fixed: Some very good news as far as I am concerned. I had a bunch of issues and I was about to do a new clean install to fix, however the latest massive patch by MS has fixed all my issues. Maybe this will help somebody else? My issues included. Explorer hang on right...