Windows 10: Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download

Discus and support Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft team, The issue first discovered in Chrome when I browse to upload or download files, the browser freezes when it tries to open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by InTheMirror, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download

Hello Microsoft team,

The issue first discovered in Chrome when I browse to upload or download files, the browser freezes when it tries to open the Save or Open dialogue box.

When I try to open Task Manager, it also freezes and does not accept any clicks; Other opened applications still work, but when I try to navigate through File Explorer it freezes as well and finally I have to to make a dirty shutdown and reboot.

Same exact issue occurs with Edge, so I believe there is something wrong with the file system but I can not decide what it is.

My Windows Version 10.0.17134.1365

My drivers are up to date and there are no pending Windows updates available.

Please help as this became very boring.

:)

InTheMirror, Apr 16, 2020

2. Edge Import Bookmarks from Chrome does not work

Hi,

To resolve your issue with Microsoft Edge, we suggest that you clear your browsing data. Please follow the steps below:

• Click on the 3 dots at the upper right corner of Edge.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Go to Clear browsing data.
    • Click on Choose what to clear > Clear.
    • Try to import your bookmarks from Chrome to Microsoft Edge.

Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Apr 16, 2020
  3. JohnnyGui Win User
    Edge Chromium downloads all OneDrive files when uploading a file

Hey guys, I noticed something peculiar:

When uploading a file, such as a picture, by pressing the corresponding "Upload" button on any website, and then browsing through the OneDrive files in the browsing box that pops up, I noticed that Edge Chromium downloads all the shown OneDrive files On-Demand just because they are shown in the browsing box.

A notification in the right lower corner also shows that Edge Chromium is downloading these files.

This wasn't the case with the older MS Edge, it would show the files in the box but not download them on my PC by itself.

Using Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64 along with Edge Chromium 80.0.361.66.

Anyone else experiencing this?

JohnnyGui, Apr 16, 2020
  4. idgat Win User

Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download

Edge Chromium downloads all OneDrive files when uploading a file

Not quite sure I follow this, doesn't correspond with any experience I've had.

"Upload" button on any website ... What type of web site?

".. browsing box that pops up" ... ??

What happens when you log out of Edge (do you need to stay logged in?) then try to do an "upload"?
    Are you uploading a file from the OneDrive folder?

What are your OneDrive settings - default folder location? Is the Download folder (and/or any other personal user folders) "inside" the OneDrive folder?

idgat, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download

1. Edge and Chrome freezes when browsing for files to upload or download - Similar Threads - Edge Chrome freezes

2. Edge freezes when I try to find and upload a anything from Downloads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge freezes when I try to find and upload a anything from Downloads: Microsoft edge freezes when I try to find something under downloads and I cannot get to what I am looking for nor am I able to upload anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-freezes-when-i-try-to-find-and-upload-a/0804c9a7-ccc5-4e36-823e-38a2f9dca3e4
  3. Edge freezes when I try to find and upload a anything from Downloads

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge freezes when I try to find and upload a anything from Downloads: Microsoft edge freezes when I try to find something under downloads and I cannot get to what I am looking for nor am I able to upload anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-freezes-when-i-try-to-find-and-upload-a/0804c9a7-ccc5-4e36-823e-38a2f9dca3e4
  4. Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze: Hi,I've been searching for a solution through Microsoft communities, Google searches, YouTube videos and calling the Microsoft support help line. They have been very helpful and have spent a lot of time, probably now over 8 hours troubleshooting my PC. It seems like all the...
  5. Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze

Windows 11 Edge, Chrome, Outlook & Downloads Freeze: Hi,I've been searching for a solution through Microsoft communities, Google searches, YouTube videos and calling the Microsoft support help line. They have been very helpful and have spent a lot of time, probably now over 8 hours troubleshooting my PC. It seems like all the...
  6. freezes Edge and chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freezes Edge and chrome: After updating a month ago windows 8.1 freezes Edge and Google chrome. Before that, everything was fine. More users have a problem with this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freezes-edge-and-chrome/34499905-5a03-4048-9c2d-029cf78f1acc
  7. freezes Edge and chrome

freezes Edge and chrome: After updating a month ago windows 8.1 freezes Edge and Google chrome. Before that, everything was fine. More users have a problem with this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freezes-edge-and-chrome/34499905-5a03-4048-9c2d-029cf78f1acc
  8. Files Won't Upload on Chrome and Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files Won't Upload on Chrome and Edge: Files won't upload to web pages or as attachments in email in both Edge and Chrome. Both browsers stall and then Not Responding. I reset both browsers, cleared cache but I think this is a file problem since its happening on two browsers. Hoping someone can help....
  9. Edge Chromium downloads all OneDrive files when uploading a file

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium downloads all OneDrive files when uploading a file: Hey guys, I noticed something peculiar: When uploading a file, such as a picture, by pressing the corresponding "Upload" button on any website, and then browsing through the OneDrive files in the browsing box that pops up, I noticed that Edge Chromium downloads all the shown...
  10. Laptop lags/freezes when saving downloaded file from browser (Chrome and Edge)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop lags/freezes when saving downloaded file from browser (Chrome and Edge): After the update, my laptop sometimes lags or freezes when saving downloaded file from browser (Chrome and Edge). Browser is not responding in task manager and the file icons in the folders lose their image/appearance. When I close the Save As dialog or end task the browser,...