Windows 10: Edge Auto-Updater Broken

Discus and support Edge Auto-Updater Broken in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Edge will only check for updates and actually update if done manually by going to the browser's "Help and Feedback" section and then the "About" page.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Crizal, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Crizal Win User

Edge Auto-Updater Broken

Edge will only check for updates and actually update if done manually by going to the browser's "Help and Feedback" section and then the "About" page. The behind-the-scenes auto updater, which runs every 2-3 days, fails. Five computers, one of them mine, are affected. All are currently running 20H2 19042.685. On three new machines born with 2004, the problem was immediate, right out of the box. On one machine, the auto-updater ran successfully up until KB4592438 was installed. On the fifth machine, the auto-updater ran once on the latest version of 1909 and hasn't worked since.

Using my machine as reference, the error only shows up in Reliability History's "View All Problem Reports" section. There's always one of two errors. Recent examples:

Edge Auto-Updater Broken [​IMG]

Following the path to crashpad_log, there's a report folder that's always empty, no entries. The two error codes, 0x80072efd and 0x80072efe, deal with some type of internet connectivity problem and inability to reach Windows Update servers. There is no internet connection problem as the Edge updater runs manually and Windows Update, Defender and apps all update automatically.

Tried the following recommended by Microsoft:
    1. SFC and DISM commands -- no issues.
    2. Windows Update troubleshooter shows no problem.
    3. Reset Windows Update components -- doesn't fix.
    4. Clear store apps cache -- doesn't fix.
    5. Re-register Windows apps via PowerShell -- doesn't fix.
    6. Rename and delete software distribution folder and contents -- doesn't fix.
    7. Repair install -- doesn't fix.
    8. Clean install -- doesn't fix.
    9. Using Microsoft's instructions, adding MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe to force allow the updater through Windows firewall and that doesn't work.

I've reported the issue, along with screenshots, to the Edge development team via the browser's "Help and Feedback" section. Has anyone seen this issue or have any suggestions? I (we) are out of ideas. Keep in mind, if CCleaner is used, depending upon the configuration, the error entry will be deleted and the problem may not be noticed.

:)

Crizal, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Edge Auto-Updater Broken

1. Edge Auto-Updater Broken - Similar Threads - Edge Auto Updater

2. Edge broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge broken?: Hey, I was browsing on edge with google search engine in private window when I visited a website it showed a fake pop-up that my device has virus.So, I closed the browser it was showing to install something on the pop-up screen but when I opened my browser again my Microsoft...
  3. Edge broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge broken?: Hey, I was browsing on edge with google search engine in private window when I visited a website it showed a fake pop-up that my device has virus.So, I closed the browser it was showing to install something on the pop-up screen but when I opened my browser again my Microsoft...
  4. Edge broken?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Browsers and Email
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  6. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  7. Edge: How to import auto fill forms into edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge: How to import auto fill forms into edge: Please Help: I have the older version of Edge (not chromium) and I want to know how to import auto fill forms into edge from an exported json file? When I go into settings, passwords & autofill, auto fill, manage forms all it shows is export, not import. [Kinda defeats the...
  8. Microsoft Edge broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge broken: When I boot up my PC and start up Edge it takes a few minutes (around 2) to load up homepage(www.google.com). Brand new Ryzen 1200 PC, brand new install of licensed Windows 10 on SSD....
  9. "Auto-fill" in Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    "Auto-fill" in Edge?: My Win10 has been upgraded to the AU 1607 and runs very well I use Yahoo email - 2 accounts When I use EDGE which is my default browser, my log in names have to be typed in instead of being automatically selected When I use IE11, my log-in names are automatically...
  10. IE11 and Edge Broken After Recent Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    IE11 and Edge Broken After Recent Windows Updates: Yesterday I was forced to reboot my computer as MS installed some Windows Updates. After the reboot I can no longer access google.com's main page and some other https site like my companies Citrix Storefront login page. These all worked before the forced update. There were 2...