Windows 10: Edge automatically runs videos: I'd prefer it didn't

Discus and support Edge automatically runs videos: I'd prefer it didn't in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I can turn off video autoplay in IE11, Chrome, and Firefox. There is no setting to do the same in Edge. Everytime I open a webpage in Edge, if there is... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by iamc3k, Jul 25, 2016.

1. iamc3k Win User

Edge automatically runs videos: I'd prefer it didn't

I can turn off video autoplay in IE11, Chrome, and Firefox. There is no setting to do the same in Edge. Everytime I open a webpage in Edge, if there is a video cued up, be it an ad or a feature, it automatically begins to play. That is NOT what I'd like in a browser.

How do I shutdown autoplay?

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Jul 25, 2016

2. Clicking Edge button does nothing

No, the only thing running is Internet Explorer. I'd prefer to go back to Edge, if possible.

quark12000, Jul 25, 2016
  3. robi386 Win User
    Nokia PC Suite Processes

Hello.

When the PC Suite is installed there are some processes running in the background ALL THE TIME (ServiceLayer.exe, NclRSSrv.exe, NclUSBSrv).

They eat around 15MB of RAM...

I'd prefer if there was an option to NOT have those processes running when the PC Suite is not running.

I guess they might be useful for automatic recognition of a connected phone or whatever, but couldn't they START AND END with the START AND END of the PC Suite? Do they really need to run all the time?

I would very much prefer to start the PC Suite manually when connecting a phone. Maybe some people prefer to have it all automatically, but please at least give us the OPTION.

robi386, Jul 25, 2016
  4. iamc3k Win User

I'm still wondering about the above. ^^^ *Wink

I'm not in the Edge-hating camp. I actually use it more than other browsers. However, there has GOT to be a way to turn off autoplay when opening new webpages.

There have been a lot of updates since I posted this question originally. There is a "promise" (LOL) that Edge will incorporate the ability to toggle autoplay on/off.

Is there ANY chance of this occurring soon?

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Bastet Win User
    I use Bing's start page so this might only be on there but when I open Edge, in the top right hand corner next to my username there's three horizontal bars, click on those & choose settings, there I can change video playback to off.

Bastet, Mar 10, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I agree

sometimes in a busy office when using the Internet you don't want a load of audio and video.

I think people can't WRITE any more - everything seems to be on Youtube or "Farce book". Using a computer and Internet at home is hugely different from using one in a workplace.

I don't particularly like Edge but it definitely needs a few tweaks before going "Main stream".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 11, 2017
  7. iamc3k Win User
    Bastet,

Thanks for the information. Could you take a screenshot of what you're seeing? It'd be incredibly helpful to me if there were a simple "off" setting I've been overlooking. Using Bing's start page, and opening the three bar menu icon (hey, why is three bars a menu in bing, but in edge the menu is three dots, and three bars is for favorites???), I do not have playback option.

Thanks,
    Ken

iamc3k, Mar 11, 2017
  8. Bastet Win User

Edge automatically runs videos: I'd prefer it didn't [​IMG]

I have added an arrow where the three bars are, click on them, then click on settings, the click more, scroll down to videos & panoramas & choose don't play automatically & then save your preferences.

Bastet, Mar 11, 2017
  9. iamc3k Win User
    LOL... I =swear= that my options menu did not include "more"! Now it does.

Thanks!
    Ken

iamc3k, Mar 11, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. iamc3k Win User
    This only applies to bing though doesn't it?

This still autoplays for example Tryit Editor v3.3

You are correct: Edge still autoplays and I know of no way to shut it off.

(I have one, major, gripe about Win10, and that's the inability of the customer/user to understand and easily control what the OS is doing. Data mining, autoplaying, etc., are offensive to me. In some locales, with metered internet, the autoplay function can be seen as a "dirty" tool to get more $ for internet providers...thereby incentivizing them to push for Win10 adoption by their subscribers. Data mining is a tool for MS to make $ off unsuspecting users. All I want is an OS which is stable, fast, and efficient with the physical resources I purchased to make my computers. Sigh.)

I have not marked this "solved", since I still have not found a process to stop the autoplay function in Edge.

Ken

iamc3k, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge automatically runs videos: I'd prefer it didn't - Similar Threads - Edge automatically runs

2. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  3. Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine preferences.: I've tried changing the default search engine used in the address bar from Bing to Google Microsoft Edge 115.0.1901.203 of an AVD session host. When I sign out and back in, Edge warns me that "Microsoft Edge has detected your default search engine setting was changed by an...
  4. Run command didn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run command didn't work: Does anyone know why i can't use %appdata% on run command. Every time i run this command it will pop up "how do you want to open this file"?. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-command-didnt-work/62d83122-bd25-4add-8d18-c26207cf48b4
  5. Edge didn't synced old data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge didn't synced old data: Hi, I reinstall my windows 10 but when I install edge and login with my account it didn't sync my old data all my bookmarks are gone, anyone know how can I fix that? submitted by /u/S_kanwarjeet [link] [comments]...
  6. Edge not stopping videos automatically playing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge not stopping videos automatically playing: I have the latest Edge and am presently excited about it not stopping videos from automatically playing. Yes, I have set it to Block and once in a while that will stop videos from playing but 99% of the time, it does not. Obviously from what I'm gathering, there is no way...
  7. How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running

in Browsers and Email
    How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running: Hello! How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running every time I start Windows 10? Thank you in advance, Nenad 136612
  8. How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running: Hello! How to stop Microsoft Edge from automatically running every time I start Windows 10? Thank you in advance, Nenad 136612
  9. Online Videos Won't Run In Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Online Videos Won't Run In Edge: Hi - Online videos won't run in Microsoft Edge (Windows 10). I've checked other answers to similar questions and tried recommended solutions, but nothing's worked....
  10. Does Edge automatically run at start up?

in Browsers and Email
    Does Edge automatically run at start up?: I don't like edge and don't use it. When I run CCleaner though it says it will have close edge it then hangs on attempting to close it. Does it run at start up? How can I stop it? Its not in the start up menu. 22426