Windows 10: edge browser high memory usage and spawning multiple processes

Discus and support edge browser high memory usage and spawning multiple processes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; after recent updates I'm having to consider using a different browser because despite not havig any extensions installed its using a lot of memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Romip, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Romip Win User

edge browser high memory usage and spawning multiple processes

after recent updates I'm having to consider using a different browser because despite not havig any extensions installed its using a lot of memory and spawning multiple threads. I currently have only 3 tabs open and its spawned 12 processes and is using 1.2 GB of memory. any ideas why as its getting to a point where I'm going to have to consider using a different browser.

:)

Romip, Feb 18, 2019
  2. GBCrosby Win User

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file copy

Thank you Amarjeet_Paul.

I spent many more hours than I had hoped this past week reading and trying others' suggestions from this community on how to reduce high RAM usage due to ntoskrnl.exe. The "System and compressed memory" process remained the top consumer of RAM, using 500-900MB,
    among all other processes running. I deemed it to be the likely culprit in making my computer use frustratingly sluggish. After completing your
    third step, steps 1. & 2. provided no improvement in my case, the "System and compressed memory" process RAM usage has plummeted from the top of the Task Manager Process list to the bottom, running at a remarkable 0.1MB! That's a whole lot less than
    1% of the targeted process' gluttony. You're hired! Ps. I'll be keeping an eye on the process' use as I get back to normal operations, and be back if it floats to high in the list. Or if the registry fix you suggested has compromised use in any way. Please
    explain in simple terms what the insertion of your registry modification is doing.

Thanks again.

Geoff

GBCrosby, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Edge causes High CPU and Memory Usage in System and Compressed Memory

Hi I have this issue on multiple computers that have easily more than enough resources to run the operating system and more than meet the recommend specs for windows 10.

Forget what Nyima says as I have tried it all without success.

Edge browser hangs, is slow, has high cpu usage, high ram usage and lags when opening pages laden with flash objects. It looks like MS need to do some more work on the browser which is a bit of a disappointment as it promised so much.

I suggest switching to Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox in that order and problem fixed!

IE, Chrome & Firefox seem to handle flash player much better and do not seem to have the problems that edge does.

sikicon.chip, Feb 18, 2019
  4. Stevens79 Win User

High CPU and memory usage on Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge.

Wow, this reply really nailed it. For both Edge and Firefox, I monitored the CPU usage and picked a process with high CPU usage. I killed 1 process per app and the CPU went down to under an average of 10%.

One connection was Fox News (Firefox), but can't see which one was stopped in Edge.

Great suggestion!

Stevens79, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

1. edge browser high memory usage and spawning multiple processes - Similar Threads - edge browser high

2. High memory usage not on processes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage not on processes.: My system is Windows 11 22H2Windows uses a lot of RAM and doesn't show up on the task bar.memory in this screenshot was said to be but the user is only using 2 gigsmeaning around 4 gigs are not used by me, which is quite weird and suspiciousI tried safe mode and the RAM said...
  3. High memory usage not on processes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage not on processes.: My system is Windows 11 22H2Windows uses a lot of RAM and doesn't show up on the task bar.memory in this screenshot was said to be but the user is only using 2 gigsmeaning around 4 gigs are not used by me, which is quite weird and suspiciousI tried safe mode and the RAM said...
  4. Brave browser high CPU and Memory usage [Fixed]

in Windows 10 News
    Brave browser high CPU and Memory usage [Fixed]: [ATTACH]This article talks about the possible fixes that you can try if the Brave browser consumes high CPU and Memory on your system. When a particular program consumes high resources, it directly impacts the system’s performance. Due to this, users may experience frequent...
  5. High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!: Hi, recently I updated windows 10, after the update, I've been having a problem where whenever I refresh / open a tab / website, the CPU Usage goes from under 10% to 70% and then back to normal after the sites have fully loaded it makes it really slow. Does someone know how...
  6. High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!: Hi, recently I updated windows 10, after the update, I've been having a problem where whenever I refresh / open a tab / website, the CPU Usage goes from under 10% to 70% and then back to normal after the sites have fully loaded it makes it really slow. Does someone know how...
  7. High CPU Usage Not on windows processes but on web browsers!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. High memory usage without processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High memory usage without processes: [ATTACH] Hello For a long time I observed Windows 10 is using too much memory. I am checking current processes and total count is not even close to current usage. I reinstalled my OS many times, have latest updates, latest BIOS, but still same issue persist for a long...
  9. High memory usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High memory usage: Since a while now my computer's fan (I cleaned them recently) are doing a lot of noise and about 4,5 GB just diseappear into nothingness. It count as used but doesn't appear on the task manager. I tried restarting my computer multiple times and uninstalled everything yet...
  10. Extremely High CPU Usage - Multiple system processes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Multiple system processes: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592) About 2 weeks ago, I opened a thread on these forums regarding High CPU Usage due to the Service Host: DNS Client system process. To summarize, I was getting up to 100% CPU Usage due to this process and couldn't figure...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. high memory usage edge browser

2. edge high memory usage

3. edge browser use high memory

4. edge browser high memory usage