Windows 10: Edge browser shuts down on loading anything

Discus and support Edge browser shuts down on loading anything in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Just completed a clean install of TH2 (1511) on a Lenovo Via Nano-based netbook (blow, fan, blow...) prevously running Win7, activated using previous... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mike s, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mike s Win User

Edge browser shuts down on loading anything

Just completed a clean install of TH2 (1511) on a Lenovo Via Nano-based netbook (blow, fan, blow...) prevously running Win7, activated using previous credentials via the genuineticket.xml method. The ISO source is the same one that I have used on several other machines without problems.

After installing the OEM (Win7) drivers and going online to activate, I launched Edge to download Classic Shell. It started up with two tabs - one MSN, the other the "Start" tab. Each lingered for a few seconds, and then displayed the canned "this page is having a problem loading". Each tab then closes and the browser shuts down. Even using Edge as a PDF reader produces the same scenario.

Internet Explorer functions normally, and so I set it to the default browser for now.

Possible solutions I have tried, gleaned from various net searches, without resolution:
    • Create a new user profile and attempt to launch browser when logged in from that account.
    • system file checker (no problems)
    • dism ... /scanhealth and /restorehealth. No component store corruption found, restore completed normally.
    • Delete the Edge app package folder from localappdata and reinstall Edge from powershell script
    • Turn off flash support in the Edge advanced settings (using the 3 second time window that the browser actually stays running)
    • Downloaded and installed all Windows updates as of today.
    • chkdsk /f ... no problems
    • Drivers .... see below

Just now I tried to load a PDF file using Edge, and after the crash checked the event log. It finds a crash in Microsoftedgecp.exe, event ID 1000, faulting module KERNELBASE.DLL

The only other issue that my workflow would have missed, is if one of the Lenovo Win7 drivers is the problem; but it's too late for that now. I have searched for newer MS drivers for each component using Device Manager, and there are none. I have also terminated the control panel and helper apps for the Lenovo Power Management, VIA Chome9 display, keyboard shortcuts, Synaptics touchpad, and Realtek HD audio without resolving the problem.

Any suggestions?

:)

mike s, Apr 13, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge Browser crashes when trying to open anything

Original Title: "Microsoft Edge Browser"

Microsoft Edge Browser opens for just a short time and if I click on it ... anywhere, it doesn't matter where - it closes and shuts down.

The program does not allow me enough time to do anything. It shuts down.

If I attempt to add another page (+ tab) it shuts down.

Help!

Is there a way to remove the edge program and re install it from scratch?

This program is in an endless loop.

Thank you very much

Gloria A V Dueltgen, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Help! My Microsoft Edge browser has been highjacked.

I had the same problem today 2/3/2016. I had already used task manager to shut the bogus message down and re-booted. Each time after that Edge would load the errant page when I loaded Edge from the task bar.

Using the above trick of launching Google into Edge from Cortana then shutting down the browser worked like a charm.

Thanks Scott_Ki

GeorgeClarke2, Apr 13, 2016
Thema:

Edge browser shuts down on loading anything

1. Edge browser shuts down on loading anything - Similar Threads - Edge browser shuts

2. app & browser control's auto shut down

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    app & browser control's auto shut down: has app & browser's auto shut down been fixed now ? Microsoft was working on it. anybody? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-browser-controls-auto-shut-down/544ff50e-927a-4b37-9ebb-002b3eca7af7
  3. Microsoft account keeps shutting down any other browser than edge.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft account keeps shutting down any other browser than edge.: I was using windows 10 without being logged in and i was using goolge chrome , as i logged on microsoft store for the first time it shut down chrome and when i tried to open it again it opened on like a second and shut down again....
  4. Every browser besides edge shuts down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every browser besides edge shuts down: Every browser besides edge shuts down after 30 seconds to 2 minutes ( I don’t know the exact times) NOTE: I built my pc and did not buy a windows key. I don’t think that’s the problem because it worked on my friends computer and it’s fine for him. submitted by...
  5. Edge Chromium browser slowing down

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium browser slowing down: About three weeks ago I downloaded the new Edge Chromium browser. It was noticeably faster than my older Edge browser. I look a a lot of E-Bay photos each day from the same seller. They are usually the same digital size, and now my Edge Chromium is displaying them on my...
  6. Windows Update loads on shut-down but never goes to shut-down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update loads on shut-down but never goes to shut-down: When I shut-down my laptop (ASUS with Intel Core i5) the screen says that it is loading the update and then is supposed to shut-down the computer. However, it "loads" for as much as an hour with no shut down. Is there a way to make this stop happening? (I have shut down...
  7. unable to browse the internet in anything but the edge browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to browse the internet in anything but the edge browser: I have a fresh install of windows 10 pro. after installing, the first thing I did was install chrome. and it worked until I installed updates to windows, after that only edge was able to brows websites. edge works windows update works battle.net works chrome does not...
  8. Edge reluctant to shut down

in Browsers and Email
    Edge reluctant to shut down: Since Christmas, all the Insider preview builds have caused me grief. I had hoped 14316 would have a better Edge, my ordinary upgrades of W10 seem to work ok with Edge. When I left click on the top rhs cross, I expect Edge to instantly close, which only works about 50% of the...
  9. Edge Browser automatically shuts down

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Browser automatically shuts down: Is anyone experiencing this? As soon as I open the browser, it shuts down within a second or two. Sometimes I will get lucky and be able to view a page but as soon as I hit a button on my keyboard, it shuts down again. I have tried fixing the start tab page but nothing has...
  10. Computer will not shut down, stuck in "shutting down" loading screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer will not shut down, stuck in "shutting down" loading screen: I've had this problem for 3 days now, and I'm frustrated beyond belief. Whenever I go to shut down my computer, I'm always stuck in "shutting down" or "restarting" with the circle loading animation playing below it. I'd leave it on throughout the whole day, and the computer...